|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 13.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is John Claggart's position on the ship?
(c) Chief Mate.
2. Which character is described in chapter 11 as being "down" on Billy?
(a) Lieutenant Ratcliffe.
(b) Captain Vere.
(c) John Claggart.
(d) The Dansker.
3. Why doesn't Captain Graveling want Billy to leave the ship?
(a) He suspects Billy is plotting a mutiny.
(b) Billy is a natural peacemaker.
(c) He suspects Billy goes AWOL.
(d) Billy often gets drunk when he goes on leave.
4. What is Billy's responsibility on board the ship?
(a) To plan the day's work and assign tasks to the deck crew.
(b) To maintain order on the lower gun decks.
(c) To handle the sails on the foremast.
(d) To be responsible for the ship's cargo and crew.
5. What type of personal life does Captain Vere lead?
(a) One filled with a just a few close friends.
(c) Bitter and morose.
(d) One filled with many friends and jovialty.
Short Answer Questions
1. What attitude does Captain Vere gain from his studies?
2. What elements of ship's life are mirrored in the world outside the ship?
3. What is a mutiny?
4. What often causes a mutiny?
5. How is John Claggart's appearance described in chapter eight?
This section contains 321 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)