|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 13.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old is Billy?
2. What attitude does Captain Vere gain from his studies?
(a) Very firm convictions and a slightly pedantic outlook.
(b) An air of superiority about the technical aspects of the ship.
(c) The penchant for waxing philosophical while on deck.
(d) An unhealthy interest in omens and the supernatural.
3. Which act does Claggart believe is an intentional attempt to offend him?
(a) The scourging.
(b) The spilled soup.
(c) The ripped topsail.
(d) The rolled bucket.
4. What uncomfortable incident occurs in chapter 10?
(a) Soup is spilled when the ship lurches.
(b) The entire crew is disciplined for one sailor's error.
(c) The topsail rips in a sudden gust of wind.
(d) An empty bucket rolls down the gangplank and hits the captain.
5. Who is Billy Budd?
(a) The captain of the HMS Bellipotent.
(b) A young native African who dresses in colorful clothes.
(c) A young fair-skinned, blue eyed foretopman.
(d) A thief and troublemaker.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Captain Vere's officers view their commander's seafaring skills?
2. How does John Claggart earn his promotions?
3. Why does Billy join the British navy?
4. How do the other sailors react to Claggart in chapter 10?
5. What is Billy's responsibility on board the ship?
This section contains 303 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)