|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 13.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which naval ship does Billy serve on?
(a) HMS Bellipotent.
(b) The Theseus.
(d) HMS Pinafore.
2. Who is Red Whiskers?
(a) The Captain of the HMS Bellipotent.
(b) The Captain of the Rights-of-Man
(c) Billy's big, shaggy red-haired friend.
(d) The ship's cat.
3. Which character is known for his cheerful disposition?
(a) Captain Vere.
(b) Billy Budd.
(c) Lieutenant Ratcliffe.
(d) John Claggart.
4. Why does Melville claim that certain men are morally depraved?
(a) Because they are not entirely sane.
(b) Because cruel treatment breeds cruelty.
(c) Because their licentious behavior makes them depraved.
(d) Because they are forced into depravity by their living conditions.
5. Which character is known for his simplicity and naiveté?
(a) Lieutenant Ratcliffe.
(b) Captain Vere.
(c) John Claggart.
(d) Billy Budd.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the other sailors react to Claggart in chapter 10?
2. What elements of ship's life are mirrored in the world outside the ship?
3. Which character is known for this neat, careful dress?
4. Why is John Claggart's background a mystery to the crew?
5. How old is Billy?
This section contains 245 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)