|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 13.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does John Claggart earn his promotions?
(a) Through a series of bribes.
(b) He blackmails his superiors.
(c) Unbeknownst to the crew, he is related to the captian.
(d) Through his exemplary behavior and austere patriotism.
2. Which country is described as ruling the seas?
(c) The United States.
3. What is a possible cause for Claggart's behavior towards Billy?
4. What is Captain Vere's nickname?
(a) Gentleman Vere.
(b) The Stalwart.
(c) Starry Vere.
5. How does Billy react to Claggart in chapter 10?
(a) He runs to the captain.
(b) He thinks Claggart likes him.
(c) He hits Claggart in the face.
(d) He begins to curse and shout at Claggart.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which battle does the Victory's quarterdeck decoration commemorate?
2. Which character is described in chapter 11 as being "down" on Billy?
3. Which naval ship does Billy serve on?
4. Why doesn't Captain Graveling want Billy to leave the ship?
5. In chapter two, how does Billy react to his new shipmates?
This section contains 218 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)