|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 11.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which character is described in chapter 11 as being "down" on Billy?
(a) Lieutenant Ratcliffe.
(b) The Dansker.
(c) Captain Vere.
(d) John Claggart.
2. Why does Melville claim that certain men are morally depraved?
(a) Because their licentious behavior makes them depraved.
(b) Because cruel treatment breeds cruelty.
(c) Because they are not entirely sane.
(d) Because they are forced into depravity by their living conditions.
3. What one item changes the face of warfare?
(a) The crossbow.
(c) The longbow.
(d) The sword.
4. How does Claggart respond to the incident in chapter 10?
(a) "You fool!"
(b) He is silent.
(c) "The fates are agin' us!"
(d) "Handsomely done, my lad!"
5. What other name is a reference to Captain Vere?
(a) Bligh's player.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do personalities seem clash more aboard a ship?
2. Why is John Claggart's background a mystery to the crew?
3. How does John Claggart earn his promotions?
4. Who is Billy Budd?
5. How do Captain Vere's officers view their commander's personality?
This section contains 285 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)