|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 11.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is John Claggart's background a mystery to the crew?
(a) He appears to have noble bearing and enters naval service later in life.
(b) He never talks to anyone about his past.
(c) He becomes very nervous and quiet around authority figures.
(d) He receives mysterious letters that he burns after reading.
2. Which mutiny is discussed in chapter five?
3. Which character is described in chapter 11 as being "down" on Billy?
(a) Lieutenant Ratcliffe.
(b) The Dansker.
(c) John Claggart.
(d) Captain Vere.
4. How does Admiral Nelson keep his sailors under control?
(a) Terrorizing them into submission.
(b) The threat of death.
(c) Bribing them.
(d) By winning their admiration.
5. What nickname does Billy's older friend give him?
(b) Billy Boy.
(c) Baby Budd.
(d) Prince William.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Captain Vere cited for in West Indian waters?
2. Which Captain is involved in the mutiny at Nore?
3. Why does Billy join the British navy?
4. What is Captain Vere's nickname?
5. Which types of books does Captain Vere prefer?
This section contains 223 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)