|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 11.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is John Claggart's position on the ship?
(c) Chief Mate.
2. Where does the first recorded mutiny of the British Navy occur?
3. Why does Melville claim that certain men are morally depraved?
(a) Because cruel treatment breeds cruelty.
(b) Because they are not entirely sane.
(c) Because their licentious behavior makes them depraved.
(d) Because they are forced into depravity by their living conditions.
4. Which types of books does Captain Vere prefer?
(a) Technical manuals and Mathematical theorems.
(b) Greek mythology and seafaring stories.
(c) Shakespearean dramas and Romance novels.
(d) Biography, History and Classical authors.
5. Which mutiny is referred to as "the Great Mutiny"?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which types of historical figures are often compared to Billy?
2. How do the other sailors react to Claggart in chapter 10?
3. How does John Claggart earn his promotions?
4. What other name is a reference to Captain Vere?
5. What is Billy and Claggart's relationship like before they sail together on the Bellipotent?
This section contains 257 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)