|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 11.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Andrew Marvell create that commemorates Captain Vere?
(a) A medallion.
(b) A bawdy tavern song.
(c) A poem.
(d) A sculpture.
2. What causes Billy to lose his voice on occasion?
(c) An odd genetic malfunction.
3. Which Captain is involved in the mutiny at Nore?
(a) Captain Graveling.
(b) Captain Bligh.
(c) Captain Vere.
(d) Captain Budd.
4. Why does Melville claim that certain men are morally depraved?
(a) Because they are forced into depravity by their living conditions.
(b) Because they are not entirely sane.
(c) Because their licentious behavior makes them depraved.
(d) Because cruel treatment breeds cruelty.
5. How does Claggart respond to the incident in chapter 10?
(a) "Handsomely done, my lad!"
(b) "You fool!"
(c) "The fates are agin' us!"
(d) He is silent.
Short Answer Questions
1. In chapter four, which sailor is hailed as the greatest of all time?
2. Which naval ship does Billy serve on?
3. What is Captain Vere's nickname?
4. What is Captain Vere cited for in West Indian waters?
5. What is a "Handsome Sailor"?
This section contains 213 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)