|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 11.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is John Claggart's responsibility on board the ship?
(a) To maintain order on the lower gun decks.
(b) To plan the day's work and assign tasks to the deck crew.
(c) To handle the sails on the foremast.
(d) To be responsible for the ship's cargo and crew.
2. Why is Billy reprimanded in chapter nine?
(a) He is caught eating in the crow's nest.
(b) He falls asleep while on watch.
(c) He knocks over a full bucket in front of the captain.
(d) Someone is playing tricks on him that get him in trouble.
3. What is a "Handsome Sailor"?
(a) The dashing sailor who has a girl in every port.
(b) A sailor who is attractive, strong, ethical and a natural leader.
(c) The name of Captain Graveling's merchant ship.
(d) The name of William Bligh's frigate.
4. How do Captain Vere's officers view their commander's personality?
(a) Paranoid and superstitious
(b) Obnoxious and temperamental..
(c) Dry and bookish.
(d) Relaxed and friendly.
5. What is the greatest fear in the British Navy?
(b) A tsunami.
(c) Losing the sextant.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which types of books does Captain Vere prefer?
2. When does the Spithead mutiny occur?
3. What is John Claggart's position on the ship?
4. Why does Billy join the British navy?
5. What causes Billy to lose his voice on occasion?
This section contains 270 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)