|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 11.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is a "Handsome Sailor"?
(a) A sailor who is attractive, strong, ethical and a natural leader.
(b) The name of William Bligh's frigate.
(c) The name of Captain Graveling's merchant ship.
(d) The dashing sailor who has a girl in every port.
2. When does the Spithead mutiny occur?
(a) August of 1697.
(b) January of 1924.
(c) September of 1897.
(d) April of 1797.
3. What is Billy and Claggart's relationship like before they sail together on the Bellipotent?
(a) They are close friends in childhood, but later drift apart.
(b) The do not know each other before sailing on the Bellepotent.
(c) They are bitter enemies since childhood.
(d) They are friends until Billy falls in love with Claggart's sister.
4. How is discipline maintained on the Bellipotent?
(a) In a relaxed fashion, almost too relaxed for Admiral Nelson.
(b) Through a monetary system of rewards and penalties.
(c) With unnecessary cruelty.
(d) Strictly, but with fair consideration to the welfare of the sailors.
5. What attitude does Captain Vere gain from his studies?
(a) An unhealthy interest in omens and the supernatural.
(b) The penchant for waxing philosophical while on deck.
(c) Very firm convictions and a slightly pedantic outlook.
(d) An air of superiority about the technical aspects of the ship.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character is described in chapter 11 as being "down" on Billy?
2. What is Captain Vere's nickname?
3. How is John Claggart's appearance described in chapter eight?
4. What causes Billy to lose his voice on occasion?
5. What type of personal life does Captain Vere lead?
This section contains 303 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)