|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 25.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why doesn't the chaplain try to intervene on Billy's behalf?
(a) Military law is more powerful than his religious influence.
(b) Because Billy does not talk to him.
(c) He feels that Billy deserves punishment.
(d) He is afraid of the captain.
2. Which character is known for his simplicity and naiveté?
(a) Captain Vere.
(b) Billy Budd.
(c) Lieutenant Ratcliffe.
(d) John Claggart.
3. In chapter 14, what does Billy say to the sailor?
(a) He stutters a refusal.
(b) He whispers his consent.
(c) He whoops and shouts for joy.
(d) He screams in anger.
4. What decoration marks the Victory's quarterdeck?
(a) A crescent moon.
(b) A star.
(c) An albatross.
(d) A medallion.
5. Why does the captain ask Claggart to confront Billy?
(a) To see if Claggart is brave enough for promotion.
(b) To see which man is telling the truth.
(c) Confronting Billy breaks the captain's heart.
(d) Because he is afraid of Billy.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Captain Vere's officers view their commander's personality?
2. What attitude does Captain Vere gain from his studies?
3. What odd weather appears the moment of Billy's death?
4. Which battle does the Victory's quarterdeck decoration commemorate?
5. Who encourages the court to consider the death penalty during Billy's trial?
This section contains 255 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)