|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 17.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What attitude does Captain Vere gain from his studies?
(a) An unhealthy interest in omens and the supernatural.
(b) The penchant for waxing philosophical while on deck.
(c) An air of superiority about the technical aspects of the ship.
(d) Very firm convictions and a slightly pedantic outlook.
2. What type of personal life does Captain Vere lead?
(a) One filled with many friends and jovialty.
(b) Bitter and morose.
(d) One filled with a just a few close friends.
3. Which two characters begin to suspect Billy of wrongdoing?
(a) The armorer and the captain of the hold.
(b) The master-at-arms and the chief mate.
(c) The chief mate and the bosun.
(d) Captain Vere and the master-at-arms.
4. Which character stares at Billy with a meditative and melancholy expression in chapter 17?
(a) The afterguardsman.
(b) John Claggart.
(c) Lieutenant Ratcliffe.
(d) The Dansker.
5. How do the other sailors react to Claggart in chapter 10?
(a) They are fearfully silent.
(b) They erupt into a violent melee.
(c) They laugh the incident off as a joke.
(d) They quickly man their stations.
Short Answer Questions
1. What uncomfortable incident occurs in chapter 10?
2. When does the incident in chapter 10 occur?
3. What does Billy threaten to do to the sailor in chapter 14?
4. In chapter four, which naval commander is hailed as one of the greatest strategists of all time?
5. In chapter 14, how does Billy react to the sailor's request?
This section contains 288 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)