|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 17.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In chapter 17, how does Claggart react when he and Billy suddenly meet?
(a) He clears his throat and looks down.
(b) He moves aside and nods hello.
(c) His eyes flash and his face reddens.
(d) He does not acknowledge Billy's presence.
2. Which character becomes very friendly towards Billy in chapter 17?
(a) The afterguardsman.
(b) The Dansker.
(c) John Claggart.
(d) Lieutenant Ratcliffe.
3. What attitude does Captain Vere gain from his studies?
(a) The penchant for waxing philosophical while on deck.
(b) Very firm convictions and a slightly pedantic outlook.
(c) An air of superiority about the technical aspects of the ship.
(d) An unhealthy interest in omens and the supernatural.
4. What is Captain Vere's favorite hobby?
5. Why is Billy on the uppermost deck in chapter 14?
(a) He is on watch.
(b) He is mending the topsail.
(c) He is sleeping.
(d) He is smoking.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which two characters are Claggart's messmates?
2. Which two characters begin to suspect Billy of wrongdoing?
3. What decoration marks the Victory's quarterdeck?
4. Who causes the uncomfortable incident in chapter 10?
5. Which character stares at Billy with a meditative and melancholy expression in chapter 17?
This section contains 247 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)