|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 23.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When is Billy due to be executed?
(a) In the early morning watch.
(b) After a legal trial on shore.
(c) At midnight.
(d) As soon as the ship lands.
2. Why is John Claggart's background a mystery to the crew?
(a) He receives mysterious letters that he burns after reading.
(b) He appears to have noble bearing and enters naval service later in life.
(c) He becomes very nervous and quiet around authority figures.
(d) He never talks to anyone about his past.
3. What is John Claggart's responsibility on board the ship?
(a) To maintain order on the lower gun decks.
(b) To handle the sails on the foremast.
(c) To plan the day's work and assign tasks to the deck crew.
(d) To be responsible for the ship's cargo and crew.
4. How does the sailor Billy threatened in chapter 14 react to Billy in chapter 15?
(a) He is timid.
(b) He is very aggressive.
(c) He is very friendly.
(d) He refuses to look Billy in the eye.
5. What does Billy never do before?
(a) Tell a lie.
(b) Be associated with evil.
(d) Speak to the captain.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is John Claggart's appearance described in chapter eight?
2. In chapter 15, what does Billy think he should report to the captain?
3. In chapter 15, which character is Billy's confidant?
4. Where is John Claggart buried?
5. In chapter 23, when is the crew called together?
This section contains 283 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)