|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 23.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is John Claggart's position on the ship?
(b) Chief Mate.
2. In chapter 15, which character is Billy's confidant?
(a) The Dansker.
(b) Lieutenant Ratcliffe.
(c) John Claggart.
(d) Red Whiskers.
3. What time is dogwatch?
(a) 6:00 a.m.
(b) 6:00 p.m.
(c) 3:00 p.m.
(d) 3:00 a.m.
4. What is John Claggart's responsibility on board the ship?
(a) To plan the day's work and assign tasks to the deck crew.
(b) To maintain order on the lower gun decks.
(c) To be responsible for the ship's cargo and crew.
(d) To handle the sails on the foremast.
5. Why is John Claggart's background a mystery to the crew?
(a) He receives mysterious letters that he burns after reading.
(b) He never talks to anyone about his past.
(c) He becomes very nervous and quiet around authority figures.
(d) He appears to have noble bearing and enters naval service later in life.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a "cat's paw"?
2. In chapter 15, what does Billy think he should report to the captain?
3. When is Billy due to be executed?
4. How old is Jon Claggart when he enters the Navy?
5. How is John Claggart's appearance described in chapter eight?
This section contains 261 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)