|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 23.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is John Claggart buried?
(a) The isle of Mann.
(c) The coast of Timon.
(d) At sea.
2. How old is Jon Claggart when he enters the Navy?
3. In chapter 15, which character appears to be conspiring to destroy Billy's character?
(a) Lieutenant Ratcliffe.
(b) The Dansker.
(c) Red Whiskers.
(d) John Claggart.
4. How does John Claggart earn his promotions?
(a) Through his exemplary behavior and austere patriotism.
(b) Unbeknownst to the crew, he is related to the captian.
(c) He blackmails his superiors.
(d) Through a series of bribes.
5. In chapter 23, when is the crew called together?
(a) An hour past dogwatch.
(b) At sunset.
(c) An hour before dogwatch.
(d) At dogwatch.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is John Claggart's appearance described in chapter eight?
2. What does Captain Vere tell his crew in chapter 23?
3. In chapter 15, which character is Billy's confidant?
4. How does the sailor Billy threatened in chapter 14 react to Billy in chapter 15?
5. When is Billy due to be executed?
This section contains 245 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)