|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 23.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In chapter 23, when is the crew called together?
(a) At dogwatch.
(b) At sunset.
(c) An hour before dogwatch.
(d) An hour past dogwatch.
2. What is John Claggart's responsibility on board the ship?
(a) To be responsible for the ship's cargo and crew.
(b) To handle the sails on the foremast.
(c) To maintain order on the lower gun decks.
(d) To plan the day's work and assign tasks to the deck crew.
3. What does Captain Vere tell his crew in chapter 23?
(a) The admiral is on board for a surprise inspection.
(b) Billy Budd jumps overboard.
(c) Billy Budd is murdered.
(d) A sailor is executed for murdering the master-at-arms.
4. In chapter 15, which character is Billy's confidant?
(a) Lieutenant Ratcliffe.
(b) Red Whiskers.
(c) The Dansker.
(d) John Claggart.
5. How is John Claggart's appearance described in chapter eight?
(a) Pale and fat with dark red hair.
(b) Handsome and strong with blue eyes and blond hair.
(c) Dark and swarthy with long black hair.
(d) Pale and effeminate with curly black hair.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is allowed to communicate with Billy in chapter 23?
2. Why is John Claggart's background a mystery to the crew?
3. What time is dogwatch?
4. Where is John Claggart buried?
5. In chapter 15, which character appears to be conspiring to destroy Billy's character?
This section contains 267 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)