|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 23.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In chapter 15, which character is Billy's confidant?
(a) Red Whiskers.
(b) Lieutenant Ratcliffe.
(c) John Claggart.
(d) The Dansker.
2. What does Captain Vere tell his crew in chapter 23?
(a) Billy Budd jumps overboard.
(b) Billy Budd is murdered.
(c) The admiral is on board for a surprise inspection.
(d) A sailor is executed for murdering the master-at-arms.
3. When is Billy due to be executed?
(a) After a legal trial on shore.
(b) At midnight.
(c) In the early morning watch.
(d) As soon as the ship lands.
4. How old is Jon Claggart when he enters the Navy?
5. How does John Claggart earn his promotions?
(a) Through his exemplary behavior and austere patriotism.
(b) Unbeknownst to the crew, he is related to the captian.
(c) Through a series of bribes.
(d) He blackmails his superiors.
Short Answer Questions
1. In chapter 23, when is the crew called together?
2. How does the sailor Billy threatened in chapter 14 react to Billy in chapter 15?
3. In chapter 15, which character appears to be conspiring to destroy Billy's character?
4. What is John Claggart's position on the ship?
5. What does Billy never do before?
This section contains 221 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)