|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 23.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old is Jon Claggart when he enters the Navy?
2. In chapter 15, which character is Billy's confidant?
(a) John Claggart.
(b) Red Whiskers.
(c) Lieutenant Ratcliffe.
(d) The Dansker.
3. How does John Claggart earn his promotions?
(a) Through a series of bribes.
(b) Through his exemplary behavior and austere patriotism.
(c) Unbeknownst to the crew, he is related to the captian.
(d) He blackmails his superiors.
4. When is Billy due to be executed?
(a) At midnight.
(b) As soon as the ship lands.
(c) After a legal trial on shore.
(d) In the early morning watch.
5. What is John Claggart's position on the ship?
(b) Chief Mate.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is John Claggart's responsibility on board the ship?
2. What is a "cat's paw"?
3. Why is John Claggart's background a mystery to the crew?
4. What time is dogwatch?
5. In chapter 15, what does Billy think he should report to the captain?
This section contains 255 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)