|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 23.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Captain Vere tell his crew in chapter 23?
(a) The admiral is on board for a surprise inspection.
(b) A sailor is executed for murdering the master-at-arms.
(c) Billy Budd jumps overboard.
(d) Billy Budd is murdered.
2. How does John Claggart earn his promotions?
(a) He blackmails his superiors.
(b) Through his exemplary behavior and austere patriotism.
(c) Unbeknownst to the crew, he is related to the captian.
(d) Through a series of bribes.
3. What does Billy never do before?
(a) Tell a lie.
(c) Be associated with evil.
(d) Speak to the captain.
4. Who is allowed to communicate with Billy in chapter 23?
(a) Lieutenant Ratcliffe.
(b) The chaplain.
(c) The Dansker.
(d) Red Whiskers.
5. What is John Claggart's responsibility on board the ship?
(a) To maintain order on the lower gun decks.
(b) To be responsible for the ship's cargo and crew.
(c) To plan the day's work and assign tasks to the deck crew.
(d) To handle the sails on the foremast.
Short Answer Questions
1. In chapter 15, which character appears to be conspiring to destroy Billy's character?
2. How does the sailor Billy threatened in chapter 14 react to Billy in chapter 15?
3. In chapter 23, when is the crew called together?
4. In chapter 15, which character is Billy's confidant?
5. How old is Jon Claggart when he enters the Navy?
This section contains 244 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)