|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 23.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is John Claggart's responsibility on board the ship?
(a) To handle the sails on the foremast.
(b) To plan the day's work and assign tasks to the deck crew.
(c) To maintain order on the lower gun decks.
(d) To be responsible for the ship's cargo and crew.
2. Why is John Claggart's background a mystery to the crew?
(a) He becomes very nervous and quiet around authority figures.
(b) He never talks to anyone about his past.
(c) He receives mysterious letters that he burns after reading.
(d) He appears to have noble bearing and enters naval service later in life.
3. In chapter 15, what does Billy think he should report to the captain?
(a) His behavior.
(b) A possible fight.
(c) The changing weather.
(d) A possible mutiny.
4. What is John Claggart's position on the ship?
(c) Chief Mate.
5. Who is allowed to communicate with Billy in chapter 23?
(a) The Dansker.
(b) The chaplain.
(c) Lieutenant Ratcliffe.
(d) Red Whiskers.
Short Answer Questions
1. In chapter 15, which character appears to be conspiring to destroy Billy's character?
2. What does Captain Vere tell his crew in chapter 23?
3. In chapter 15, which character is Billy's confidant?
4. When is Billy due to be executed?
5. How does the sailor Billy threatened in chapter 14 react to Billy in chapter 15?
This section contains 274 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)