|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 23.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When is Billy due to be executed?
(a) After a legal trial on shore.
(b) At midnight.
(c) In the early morning watch.
(d) As soon as the ship lands.
2. What is John Claggart's position on the ship?
(d) Chief Mate.
3. How old is Jon Claggart when he enters the Navy?
4. In chapter 23, when is the crew called together?
(a) At dogwatch.
(b) An hour past dogwatch.
(c) An hour before dogwatch.
(d) At sunset.
5. Why is John Claggart's background a mystery to the crew?
(a) He never talks to anyone about his past.
(b) He becomes very nervous and quiet around authority figures.
(c) He appears to have noble bearing and enters naval service later in life.
(d) He receives mysterious letters that he burns after reading.
Short Answer Questions
1. In chapter 15, what does Billy think he should report to the captain?
2. In chapter 15, which character is Billy's confidant?
3. What is a "cat's paw"?
4. Where is John Claggart buried?
5. How is John Claggart's appearance described in chapter eight?
This section contains 240 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)