|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 23.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When is Billy due to be executed?
(a) After a legal trial on shore.
(b) At midnight.
(c) As soon as the ship lands.
(d) In the early morning watch.
2. Where is John Claggart buried?
(a) At sea.
(c) The isle of Mann.
(d) The coast of Timon.
3. What does Billy never do before?
(a) Be associated with evil.
(b) Speak to the captain.
(d) Tell a lie.
4. Why is John Claggart's background a mystery to the crew?
(a) He becomes very nervous and quiet around authority figures.
(b) He receives mysterious letters that he burns after reading.
(c) He never talks to anyone about his past.
(d) He appears to have noble bearing and enters naval service later in life.
5. Who is allowed to communicate with Billy in chapter 23?
(a) Red Whiskers.
(b) The chaplain.
(c) Lieutenant Ratcliffe.
(d) The Dansker.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is John Claggart's position on the ship?
2. What is a "cat's paw"?
3. What does Captain Vere tell his crew in chapter 23?
4. How is John Claggart's appearance described in chapter eight?
5. What time is dogwatch?
This section contains 253 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)