|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 23.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In chapter 15, which character appears to be conspiring to destroy Billy's character?
(a) John Claggart.
(b) Red Whiskers.
(c) Lieutenant Ratcliffe.
(d) The Dansker.
2. Where is John Claggart buried?
(b) The isle of Mann.
(c) At sea.
(d) The coast of Timon.
3. What is a "cat's paw"?
(a) A person who does another's dirty work.
(b) A part of a cat.
(c) The joint between the mainsail and the topsail.
(d) Slang for an anchor.
4. Why is John Claggart's background a mystery to the crew?
(a) He never talks to anyone about his past.
(b) He appears to have noble bearing and enters naval service later in life.
(c) He receives mysterious letters that he burns after reading.
(d) He becomes very nervous and quiet around authority figures.
5. Who is allowed to communicate with Billy in chapter 23?
(a) Lieutenant Ratcliffe.
(b) The chaplain.
(c) The Dansker.
(d) Red Whiskers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Captain Vere tell his crew in chapter 23?
2. What does Billy never do before?
3. When is Billy due to be executed?
4. In chapter 15, what does Billy think he should report to the captain?
5. What time is dogwatch?
This section contains 244 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)