|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 23.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is John Claggart's appearance described in chapter eight?
(a) Pale and fat with dark red hair.
(b) Dark and swarthy with long black hair.
(c) Pale and effeminate with curly black hair.
(d) Handsome and strong with blue eyes and blond hair.
2. In chapter 23, when is the crew called together?
(a) An hour before dogwatch.
(b) At dogwatch.
(c) At sunset.
(d) An hour past dogwatch.
3. What does Captain Vere tell his crew in chapter 23?
(a) Billy Budd is murdered.
(b) Billy Budd jumps overboard.
(c) A sailor is executed for murdering the master-at-arms.
(d) The admiral is on board for a surprise inspection.
4. When is Billy due to be executed?
(a) At midnight.
(b) In the early morning watch.
(c) As soon as the ship lands.
(d) After a legal trial on shore.
5. How old is Jon Claggart when he enters the Navy?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is John Claggart's background a mystery to the crew?
2. How does the sailor Billy threatened in chapter 14 react to Billy in chapter 15?
3. Where is John Claggart buried?
4. What is a "cat's paw"?
5. What is John Claggart's position on the ship?
This section contains 268 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)