|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 23.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is a "cat's paw"?
(a) Slang for an anchor.
(b) The joint between the mainsail and the topsail.
(c) A person who does another's dirty work.
(d) A part of a cat.
2. In chapter 15, which character appears to be conspiring to destroy Billy's character?
(a) Lieutenant Ratcliffe.
(b) The Dansker.
(c) John Claggart.
(d) Red Whiskers.
3. What does Captain Vere tell his crew in chapter 23?
(a) The admiral is on board for a surprise inspection.
(b) Billy Budd jumps overboard.
(c) A sailor is executed for murdering the master-at-arms.
(d) Billy Budd is murdered.
4. What time is dogwatch?
(a) 3:00 a.m.
(b) 3:00 p.m.
(c) 6:00 a.m.
(d) 6:00 p.m.
5. In chapter 15, what does Billy think he should report to the captain?
(a) The changing weather.
(b) A possible mutiny.
(c) A possible fight.
(d) His behavior.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is John Claggart's position on the ship?
2. When is Billy due to be executed?
3. How old is Jon Claggart when he enters the Navy?
4. What does Billy never do before?
5. Why is John Claggart's background a mystery to the crew?
This section contains 234 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)