|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 23.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is John Claggart's position on the ship?
(c) Chief Mate.
2. What time is dogwatch?
(a) 6:00 a.m.
(b) 3:00 a.m.
(c) 3:00 p.m.
(d) 6:00 p.m.
3. What does Billy never do before?
(a) Be associated with evil.
(b) Tell a lie.
(d) Speak to the captain.
4. What does Captain Vere tell his crew in chapter 23?
(a) Billy Budd jumps overboard.
(b) A sailor is executed for murdering the master-at-arms.
(c) The admiral is on board for a surprise inspection.
(d) Billy Budd is murdered.
5. Why is John Claggart's background a mystery to the crew?
(a) He receives mysterious letters that he burns after reading.
(b) He appears to have noble bearing and enters naval service later in life.
(c) He becomes very nervous and quiet around authority figures.
(d) He never talks to anyone about his past.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a "cat's paw"?
2. In chapter 15, which character is Billy's confidant?
3. In chapter 23, when is the crew called together?
4. In chapter 15, which character appears to be conspiring to destroy Billy's character?
5. When is Billy due to be executed?
This section contains 236 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)