|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 23.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is a "cat's paw"?
(a) The joint between the mainsail and the topsail.
(b) A part of a cat.
(c) Slang for an anchor.
(d) A person who does another's dirty work.
2. What is John Claggart's position on the ship?
(c) Chief Mate.
3. How is John Claggart's appearance described in chapter eight?
(a) Dark and swarthy with long black hair.
(b) Handsome and strong with blue eyes and blond hair.
(c) Pale and fat with dark red hair.
(d) Pale and effeminate with curly black hair.
4. In chapter 15, which character appears to be conspiring to destroy Billy's character?
(a) Red Whiskers.
(b) Lieutenant Ratcliffe.
(c) The Dansker.
(d) John Claggart.
5. How old is Jon Claggart when he enters the Navy?
Short Answer Questions
1. When is Billy due to be executed?
2. Where is John Claggart buried?
3. How does John Claggart earn his promotions?
4. What does Captain Vere tell his crew in chapter 23?
5. Why is John Claggart's background a mystery to the crew?
This section contains 269 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)