|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 23.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the narrator state about John Claggart's character that differs from the other sailors' perception of him?
(a) John Claggart is a hard worker.
(b) John Claggart is a deep intellectual.
(c) John Claggart is emotionally sensitive.
(d) John Claggart is devoutly religious.
2. At what time are the sailors called to hear an announcement?
(a) 8:00 a.m.
(b) 9:00 a.m.
(c) 7:00 a.m.
(d) 6:00 a.m.
3. When is Billy due to be executed?
(a) At midnight.
(b) After a legal trial on shore.
(c) As soon as the ship lands.
(d) In the early morning watch.
4. What does the narrator think about the gossip coming from the sailors in regards to John Claggart's history?
(a) He disagrees with it.
(b) He dismisses it.
(c) He does not have an opinion about it.
(d) He agrees with it.
5. How does John Claggart earn his promotions?
(a) Unbeknownst to the crew, he is related to the captian.
(b) Through his exemplary behavior and austere patriotism.
(c) Through a series of bribes.
(d) He blackmails his superiors.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is John Claggart's appearance described in chapter eight?
2. In chapter 15, what does Billy think he should report to the captain?
3. Why is John Claggart's background a mystery to the crew?
4. How does Billy feel about the meeting with the mysterious man the next morning, when he wakes up?
5. What does Dansker call the man who is in charge of the mutiny?
This section contains 329 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)