|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Carmen and Marlowe go to practice shooting?
2. Who is Taggert Wilde?
3. What does Marlow hide behind?
4. Who calls Marlowe in this chapter?
5. Who did Mars send after Mona and Rusty?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pick a character from the novel and discuss their goals and motives. Do they achieve their motive? Do they share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters? How do the characters goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
Essay Topic 2
Examine violence in the novel:
1) How do the characters in the novel view violence? Are there are character that would think twice before shooting or hitting someone?
2) Do the characters need to be violent to cope in the world that Chandler portrays?
3) How do the students think the public reacted to the novel's violence when it was first published? How would the public react to such a book today?
Essay Topic 3
The novel is set mostly in Los Angeles.
1) What meaning does Los Angeles bring to the novel? What would you automatically presume about a novel that was set in Los Angeles?
2) How different do you think today's Los Angeles is to the Los Angeles in the novel? How do you think the novel's meaning would change if it were set in today's Los Angeles?
3) How do you think the Los Angeles settings of the novel contributes to the novel's spirtual meaning?
This section contains 278 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)