|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Marlowe find naked in his bed?
2. How many newspapers does Marlowe read the following morning?
3. What does Carmen do when Marlowe takes the gun from her?
4. Who does Vivian worry about in this chapter?
5. What is the man's name?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify the main themes of the story. Why do you think these themes are so important to the story? How does Chandler use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 2
Examine Chandler's writing style. How would you describe Chandler's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? Does he use any specific writing techniques? What meaning does Chandler's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 3
Look at the structure of the novel:
1) How does Chandler use character and dialogue to drive the narrative.
2) Discuss elements of the narrative structure, including: Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the novel's themes?
3) Away from the main character examine the way Chandler uses the other characters in the story. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
This section contains 230 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)