|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the man in the mask take from Vivian?
2. What does Art slam around Marlowe's arms?
3. How many newspapers does Marlowe read the following morning?
4. What kind of car is tailing Marlowe?
5. What does Marlowe do when he walks past the Plymouth?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the character of Rusty Regan:
1) What is the significance of Rusty Regan to the story? Why does the reader never see him?
2) Why do the other characters seem to be encouraging Marlowe to find Rusty?
3) In what way does Rusty Regan add intrigue to the plot?
Essay Topic 2
The Big Sleep is written in the first person and with Marlowe as narrator. Why do you think Chandler chose to write the story in the first person? How do you think the meaning of the story would of changed if it was written in the third person?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the values of 1930s America:
1) Why was morality such an issue during this time?
2) In what ways are the characters negative characteristics a product of their time? Do you think America was going through a transitional phase in the fifties? What significant changes do you think occurred during this period?
3) Does modern society share any values with thirties America?
This section contains 248 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)