|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who calls Marlowe in this chapter?
2. How many time does Marlowe shoot Canino?
3. Who yells at Marlowe?
4. Where did Brody and Agnes follow Mona to?
5. Who do Gregory and Marlowe talk about?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Look at the structure of the novel:
1) How does Chandler use character and dialogue to drive the narrative.
2) Discuss elements of the narrative structure, including: Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the novel's themes?
3) Away from the main character examine the way Chandler uses the other characters in the story. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 2
In what way is Vivian Regan the typical femme fatale? What do the students think that Vivian's role will be in the story? What will her relationship be like with Marlowe? Why do the students think a femme fatale is important to the story?
Essay Topic 3
Why did Chandler chose to examine pornography in the Big Sleep? What is his view is on the industry? Does he communicate this view through the character of Philip Marlowe? What was the perception of pornography in thirties America compared to what it is today?
This section contains 248 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)