|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Canino have in his hand as he punches Marlowe?
2. Who is Marlowe looking for?
3. Who sent the man to tail Marlowe?
4. Why does Marlowe think Carmen killed Regan?
5. What does Marlowe report to the butler?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Big Sleep is written in the first person and with Marlowe as narrator. Why do you think Chandler chose to write the story in the first person? How do you think the meaning of the story would of changed if it was written in the third person?
Essay Topic 2
The novel is set mostly in Los Angeles.
1) What meaning does Los Angeles bring to the novel? What would you automatically presume about a novel that was set in Los Angeles?
2) How different do you think today's Los Angeles is to the Los Angeles in the novel? How do you think the novel's meaning would change if it were set in today's Los Angeles?
3) How do you think the Los Angeles settings of the novel contributes to the novel's spirtual meaning?
Essay Topic 3
Why did Chandler chose to examine pornography in the Big Sleep? What is his view is on the industry? Does he communicate this view through the character of Philip Marlowe? What was the perception of pornography in thirties America compared to what it is today?
This section contains 279 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)