|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the narrator say he looks like, peering from behind the window curtain in Chapter 31?
2. What kind of play does Cody say they're going to see in Chapter 24?
3. What kind of contest takes place after breakfast in Chapter 21?
4. What does the narrator liken riding in the jeep to in Chapter 33?
5. What is Billie's friend with the black hair's name?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jack write of his wishes for Cody to be a writer in Chapter 25?
2. What does Jack reveal through exposition regarding Cody and Evelyn in Chapter 23?
3. What events trigger Jack's agitation in Chapter 21?
4. Where does Perry take Jack in Chapter 28? What is his experience there?
5. Who visits Jack in Chapter 30? What do they do together?
6. Who arrives at the cabin in the beginning of Chapter 23?
7. What does Jack do once Billie has left for work in Chapter 27? Who does he meet?
8. What is Jack awaiting in Chapter 31? What takes place in the conversation between Jack and Billie here?
9. How does Jack describe the inner world of his alcohol-laced madness in Chapter 21?
10. What is evident of Jack's friends in Chapter 30?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of alcohol addiction and delirium tremens in Big Sur. Which character struggles with this and what is his journey?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of "faded glory" in Big Sur. How does this apply to the protagonist? What comparisons does the author use to express the theme?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the character of Cody Pomeray. How is this character viewed by all of the others in the novel? What are his feelings for Jack?
This section contains 898 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)