|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the narrator refer to as "a real Adam and Eve waking up" in Chapter 34?
2. What does Romana keep giving to the narrator in Chapter 36?
3. What aspect of Perry creeps out the narrator?
4. Whose house does Billie's friend take the narrator to in Chapter 28?
5. What is the name of the parochial school the narrator went to as a kid?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jack describe the inner world of his alcohol-laced madness in Chapter 21?
2. What spiritual or religious imagery is presented in Chapter 36 in relation to Jack's state of mind?
3. What does Jack compare the visions he sees in Chapter 37 to?
4. What moment of hope does Jack have in Chapter 32?
5. What events trigger Jack's agitation in Chapter 21?
6. What leads Jack to go for Cody's suggestion in Chapter 24?
7. What is Jack awaiting in Chapter 31? What takes place in the conversation between Jack and Billie here?
8. Where does the group stop on their way to the cabin in Chapter 33? Why?
9. Who visits Jack in Chapter 30? What do they do together?
10. What is Jack's state in Chapter 36? What is taking place at the cabin?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of "man and nature" in Big Sur. What symbols and motifs are used to illustrate this theme?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the character of Jack Duluoz in Big Sur. What are his principle characteristics? What are his objectives and obstacles in the plot?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss and describe the religious and spiritual allusions in Big Sur. What religions and philosophies does the author refer to and in what context?
This section contains 882 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)