|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator dream of in his nap in Chapter 22?
2. What kind of fish has Dave caught in Chapter 36?
3. What does the narrator say he wished Cody would be in Chapter 25?
4. Who does the narrator say Pat McLear is handsome enough to play in the movies?
5. What does the narrator tell Billie he's afraid to do in Chapter 31?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Jack and Billie talk about in Chapter 34? What realization does he have in this chapter?
2. Who visits Jack in Chapter 30? What do they do together?
3. What does Jack do once Billie has left for work in Chapter 27? Who does he meet?
4. What does Jack compare the visions he sees in Chapter 37 to?
5. What is Jack's state of mind in the end of Chapter 22?
6. What does Jack reveal through exposition regarding Cody and Evelyn in Chapter 23?
7. What moment of hope does Jack have in Chapter 32?
8. How does Jack describe the inner world of his alcohol-laced madness in Chapter 21?
9. What does Jack write of his wishes for Cody to be a writer in Chapter 25?
10. What does Jack dream of in Chapter 37?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of "isolation" in Big Sur. How does this theme contrast that of "fame?" How do these juxtapositions create conflict in the hero?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Jack's relationship to animals in Big Sur. How is this expressed in the cabin and in San Francisco? What do the animals symbolize?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the ethics and philosophies of the Beat Generation as illustrated in the novel Big Sur.
This section contains 893 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)