|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of restaurant does the narrator go with his new acquaintances in Chapter 28?
2. What color eyes does Billie have?
3. What does the narrator dream of in Chapter 37?
4. Who does the narrator note thumping his foot in the night in Chapter 37?
5. What image does the narrator think of watching Billie wade in the water in Chapter 34?
Short Essay Questions
1. What moment of hope does Jack have in Chapter 32?
2. Where does the group stop on their way to the cabin in Chapter 33? Why?
3. What spiritual or religious imagery is presented in Chapter 36 in relation to Jack's state of mind?
4. What events trigger Jack's agitation in Chapter 21?
5. What does Jack suggest to Billie regarding their relationship in Chapter 31?
6. What childhood memory returns to Jack in Chapter 22?
7. Who visits Jack in Chapter 30? What do they do together?
8. What does Jack compare the visions he sees in Chapter 37 to?
9. What leads Jack to go for Cody's suggestion in Chapter 24?
10. Who arrives at the cabin in the beginning of Chapter 23?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the characters of Lorenzo Monsanto and Ben Fagan. How are these two characters similar in their friendship with the protagonist? How do they differ?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the literary allusions in the book. What poets, authors, and thinkers does the narrator read, quote from, and discuss? What do these lead the reader to understand?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the character of Cody Pomeray. How is this character viewed by all of the others in the novel? What are his feelings for Jack?
This section contains 847 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)