|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does the narrator say is "home" 3,000 miles away in Chapter 1?
(b) Long Island.
(d) New Haven.
2. How high is the cliff the narrator sees the morning of Chapter 4?
(a) A thousand feet.
(b) A hundred feet.
(c) Two thousand feet.
(d) Two hundred feet.
3. To whom did the narrator say, "Allow me to stay here, I only want peace"?
(b) The local spirits.
4. How old is the character of Arthur Ma?
5. Where does the narrator say he thought he saw a flying saucer in Chapter 13?
(a) Santa Clara Valley.
(b) Los Gatos.
(c) San Fernando.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the narrator's brother's name who had passed away in his childhood?
2. What does the narrator refer to his socks as in the book?
3. What was Montesanto's nickname in college?
4. In Chapter 1, who does the narrator say he was hiding with in San Francisco upon his arrival?
5. What drink does the narrator drink at the bar throughout the book?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Jack's initial interaction with the animals around the cabin like in Chapter 18?
2. What is the description of the boarding house where his friends live in Chapter 12?
3. What "sign" does Jack speak of in Chapter 10 and why?
4. What does Jack tell himself and thus do in the beginning of Chapter 3? What does the driver tell him?
5. How do Buddhist fundamentals relate to Jack's relationship with nature in Chapter 8? How do these change later in the novel?
6. What quotes of Emerson does Kerouac use in Chapter 7? What do these propel the narrator to do?
7. What does Jack recall of George Baso in Chapter 15?
8. In Chapter 5, how does Jack's relationship to nature change?
9. What story does Jack relate in Chapter 6 of Hollywood? Why does the author relate this information?
10. What is Jack's reaction to learning his cat has died?
This section contains 877 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)