|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What poet does the narrator refer to in Chapter 5 in relation to himself?
2. The narrator writes that within what time period, he lost complete control of the peace mechanisms of his mind?
(a) Two months.
(b) Six weeks.
(c) Four weeks.
(d) Six months.
3. The narrator writes in Chapter 3, "I'm afraid to go down there--I am affrayed in the old _____ sense of being frayed by a whip."
(a) Edgar Allan Poe.
(d) Edmund Spenser.
4. What words does the narrator hear in the meadow in Chapter 9?
(a) "Roses of Yesterday."
(b) "Roses of the Dead."
(c) "Roses of the Forgotten."
(d) "Roses of the Unborn."
5. In his last line of Chapter 6, the narrator says the best thing is to not be what?
(a) A drunk.
(c) A lover.
(d) A liar.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what day does the narrator say he began to get bored in Chapter 7?
2. In Chapter 9 the narrator writes that he feels he's just a sick what?
3. What is the name of the "skid row" hotel in which the narrator has been staying in Chapter 1?
4. Who is the beatnik painter passed out on the bed in Chapter 1?
5. What does the narrator say he spends nights thinking about the usefulness of in Chapter 7?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the protagonist view the cliffs and his surroundings in Chapter 4?
2. Where is Jack in the beginning of the novel? What were his initial plans and why did they change?
3. After leaving Cody's house, where does the group decide to go and who do they meet up with?
4. Why is the cabin as isolated as it is? What activity takes Jack an entire day in Chapter 6?
5. What story does Jack relate in Chapter 6 of Hollywood? Why does the author relate this information?
6. What exposition does the narrator relay of Cody's imprisonment in Chapter 13?
7. What "sign" does Jack speak of in Chapter 10 and why?
8. What does Jack tell himself and thus do in the beginning of Chapter 3? What does the driver tell him?
9. What do the descriptions in Chapter 3 relate about the protagonist?
10. What spurs Jack to believe he is not wanted at the cabin in Chapter 9?
This section contains 979 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)