|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Cody sitting in front of when the narrator arrives in Chapter 13?
(a) A television.
(b) A mirror.
(c) A chess set.
(d) A nightstand.
2. What poem has McLear recently written in Chapter 19?
(a) "Beat Bible."
(b) "Lonely Night."
(c) "Dark Brown."
(d) "Dark Blue."
3. What is the name of the narrator's cat?
4. How does the narrator describe the mule in Chapter 6?
5. Who does the narrator and his gang go to visit in the hospital in Chapter 14?
(a) Dave Wain.
(b) George Baso.
(c) Arthur Ma.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator write that every woodsman needs in Chapter 9?
2. Who is yelling in the living room when the narrator wakes up in Chapter 14?
3. On what show did the narrator practice his poetry in Hollywood a year prior in Chapter 6?
4. Who does the narrator quote from "Self Reliance" in Chapter 7?
5. The narrator talks of a tree in Chapter 6 that looks like whose face?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jack recall of George Baso in Chapter 15?
2. What leads to the group going to the cabin in Chapter 17? Who goes?
3. What is Jack's reaction to learning his cat has died?
4. In what "chores" does the narrator find peace in Chapter 6?
5. What is the purpose of Jack's and Arthur Ma's conversation in Chapter 19?
6. Who does Jack quote in Chapter 10 as he leaves the cabin? What does he say?
7. What does Jack describe as his feelings for the cabin in Chapter 6? To whom does he speak to of his feelings?
8. How does the protagonist view the cliffs and his surroundings in Chapter 4?
9. How do Buddhist fundamentals relate to Jack's relationship with nature in Chapter 8? How do these change later in the novel?
10. What does Jack tell himself and thus do in the beginning of Chapter 3? What does the driver tell him?
This section contains 888 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)