|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What drinks the narrator's canned milk in Chapter 8?
(a) A mouse.
(b) A bluejay.
(c) A cricket.
(d) A hummingbird.
2. What book does Jack refer to reading in the cabin at 3 a.m. in Chapter 5?
(b) Dr. Jekyll and Mister Hyde.
(c) Finnegan's Wake.
3. Where does the narrator say is "home" 3,000 miles away in Chapter 1?
(b) New Haven.
(c) Long Island.
4. What does the narrator say he spends nights thinking about the usefulness of in Chapter 7?
(a) A rope.
(b) A wire scourer.
(c) A pillow.
(d) A thermos.
5. What is the narrator carrying in Chapter 3?
(a) A flashlight.
(b) A knife.
(c) A lamp.
(d) A rope.
6. What is one of the two names the narrator planned on using as a code name in Chapter 1?
(a) James Joyce.
(b) Cody Pomeray.
(c) Adam Yulch.
(d) George Baso.
7. What poem has McLear recently written in Chapter 19?
(a) "Dark Blue."
(b) "Beat Bible."
(c) "Lonely Night."
(d) "Dark Brown."
8. What friend of Monsanto's accompanies the group to the cabin in Chapter 17?
(a) Arthur Ma.
(b) Jarry Wagner.
(c) Cody Pomeray.
(d) Pat McLear.
9. When does the narrator write he had to sweat out a fever in Mexico after the earthquake in Chapter 5?
10. What does the narrator feed the mouse in Chapter 8?
(a) Cheese and nuts.
(b) Nuts and fruit.
(c) Cheese and milk.
(d) Cheese and chocolate.
11. What does the narrator compare the black rocks to in Chapter 4?
12. How high is the cliff the narrator sees the morning of Chapter 4?
(a) Two hundred feet.
(b) A thousand feet.
(c) A hundred feet.
(d) Two thousand feet.
13. The narrator writes that within what time period, he lost complete control of the peace mechanisms of his mind?
(a) Four weeks.
(b) Six months.
(c) Two months.
(d) Six weeks.
14. Who is singing like Chet Baker in Chapter 19?
(a) Pat McLear.
(b) Ron Blake.
(c) Dave Wain.
(d) Arthur Ma.
15. What is Kerouac's fictionalized name in Big Sur?
(a) John Duluoz.
(b) John Kerouac.
(c) Jack Kenwick.
(d) Jack Duluoz.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the narrator say that only weeks earlier, he'd fallen flat on his head in Chapter 6?
2. What does the narrator say is God's movie in Chapter 6?
3. In Chapter 5, when does the narrator say he would be going mad in this canyon?
4. In Chapter 9 the narrator writes that he feels he's just a sick what?
5. Which author does the narrator say wrote the inanities of the sea because he wasn't going to do it when he's dead?
This section contains 400 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)