Chapter 1 & 2
• The story opens with Jack's description of his state when he set out on his journey to the cabin.
• Jack was to have departed in secret to a hotel and used an alias when he called his friend Lorenzo Monsanto to come and pick him up.
• Instead, Jack arrives drunk and boisterous to Monsanto's bookstore and ends up passed out with his friends the next morning.
• On seeing Jack's state, Monsanto assumes that he must want to wait another week to go to the cabin, and that he would leave Jack to his drinking.
• The second chapter is dedicated to a description of the drunken fog from which Jack must wrench himself before he'll be able to move.
• Jack describes the hopeful rucksack packed for his escape sitting among the bottles that resulted from his first snag, and says, "one fast move, or I'm gone."
• Jack stands...
This section contains 2,448 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)