|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom is Miller constantly fighting in Part 3, "Paradise Lost"?
2. In Part 2, "Peace and Solitude: a Potpourri," Chapter 15, Miller writes that unless one knows where one is going, ____ leads there.
3. Where does Miller put Moricand up in Part 3, "Paradise Lost," while he is having hospital testing done?
4. What is the last plate in The Millennium of Hieronymus Bosch?
5. Having tasted peace and solitude, Miller blesses what in the Epilogue?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Miller associate astrology with schizophrenia?
2. What are the similarities and differences between Conrad Moricand and Henry Miller?
3. How does Miller describe his walk home from the sulfur baths in the Epilogue?
4. What does Moricand think of Wharton's healing powers?
5. What does Miller note of artistic grants in Part 2, Peace and Solitude: a Potpourri, Chapter 15?
6. What affliction does Moricand develop during his stay in Big Sur?
7. How does Miller describe Slade's Springs in the text?
8. What does Miller write about astrology in Part 3, "Paradise Lost"?
9. What is Miller's conclusion of Big Sur upon the Epilogue of the novel?
10. How does Miller work to solicit money for Conrad Moricand during their friendship?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the figure of Conrad Moricand. What does Moricand represent structurally and thematically in the novel? How does he relate to the protagonist?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Miller's wife and children in Big Sur and the Oranges of Hieronymus Bosch. How old are they? What is the nature of their relationships with Miller?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of "childhood" as it is presented in the novel. What symbols reflect this theme? How does Miller believe children should be treated?
This section contains 812 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)