|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who typifies the lone-American type, filled with the spirit of the wilderness, according to Miller?
2. Moricand gives Miller a precious copy of what?
3. An amalgam of types, Moricand is above all a ______.
4. Miller questions that if Jesus were to come back again, people might do what to him?
5. Miller writes in the Epilogue that he appreciates feedback and gifts, but asks that fans show appreciation by what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What fineries does Moricand insist upon? How does Miller react to Moricand's things?
2. What is Miller's wife's reaction to Conrad Moricand? How does Moricand's first impression fade?
3. What is Moricand's reaction to the rainy season in Big Sur? Who is called in to see him?
4. How does Miller associate astrology with schizophrenia?
5. How does Miller come to invite Moricand to Big Sur in the novel?
6. What marital problems does Miller encounter during Part 3, Paradise Lost and how does he deal with them?
7. How does Miller work to solicit money for Conrad Moricand during their friendship?
8. What does Miller write of Jesus Christ in Part 2, Peace and Solitude: a Potpourri, Chapter 13?
9. What does Miller note of artistic grants in Part 2, Peace and Solitude: a Potpourri, Chapter 15?
10. What does Moricand complain about after meeting with Wharton in Part 3, Paradise Lost?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the paintings of Hieronymus Bosch. What is significant about these to Miller and why does he choose to cite the artist in his title?
Essay Topic 2
What was the critical response to Miller's Big Sur and the Oranges of Hieronymus Bosch? How did this differ from Tropic of Cancer or Tropic of Capricorn? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the themes of marriage and divorce in the novel. How does Miller reflect these themes in his life? How many times was Miller married, and to whom?
This section contains 862 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)