|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who has helped Miller survive in Big Sur, including answering his fan mail?
2. Miller writes in Part 2, "Peace and Solitude: a Potpourri," Chapter 13 that one must go through life learning what no one teaches and touching the sublime by doing the what?
3. The Epilogue opens by describing three-day-a-week mail service by who?
4. In Part 2, "Peace and Solitude: a Potpourri," Chapter 13, Miller contemplates how little ___ debates on ending fighting accomplish.
5. Miller believes that he can send powerful _____ to individuals around the globe and sometimes gets responses.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Miller learn of Moricand's death?
2. How does Miller associate astrology with schizophrenia?
3. What affliction does Moricand develop during his stay in Big Sur?
4. What does Miller note of artistic grants in Part 2, Peace and Solitude: a Potpourri, Chapter 15?
5. What is Miller's wife's reaction to Conrad Moricand? How does Moricand's first impression fade?
6. What is Miller's conclusion of Big Sur upon the Epilogue of the novel?
7. What criticisms does Miller assert of American values in Part 2, Peace and Solitude: a Potpourri, Chapter 15?
8. What does Moricand write of his experience in the wars in Part 3, "Paradise Lost"?
9. How does Miller describe reading fan mail in the Epilogue?
10. Who does Miller call for to help take care of Moricand in Part 3, Paradise Lost? What is Moricand's condition at this point?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Henry Miller's feelings about fan mail and correspondence. What two chapters are dedicated to this topic in the book? How do they relate?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the process of Dianetics. Where in the text does Miller employ this? What are his associations with Dianetics?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Miller's relationship with Jean Wharton. How did Wharton and Miller meet? What is a "benefactor"?
This section contains 841 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)