|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Moricand demands a deposit of how much money in his Paris account from Miller?
2. Miller questions that if Jesus were to come back again, people might do what to him?
3. Wharton floats, radiantly, into Miller's garden with a lantern and what in Part 3, "Paradise Lost"?
4. Miller's early mornings are taken up by ____, breakfast, and playing with the baby.
5. Miller writes that when patience fails, there is always what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Moricand attempts to find work after leaving Big Sur? What attempts are made to help him?
2. How does Miller describe reading fan mail in the Epilogue?
3. How does Miller come to invite Moricand to Big Sur in the novel?
4. What does Moricand think of Wharton's healing powers?
5. What criticisms does Miller assert of American values in Part 2, Peace and Solitude: a Potpourri, Chapter 15?
6. What is Miller's wife's reaction to Conrad Moricand? How does Moricand's first impression fade?
7. What is Moricand's reaction to the rainy season in Big Sur? Who is called in to see him?
8. What does Miller write of Jesus Christ in Part 2, Peace and Solitude: a Potpourri, Chapter 13?
9. What are the similarities and differences between Conrad Moricand and Henry Miller?
10. What marital problems does Miller encounter during Part 3, Paradise Lost and how does he deal with them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the figure of Conrad Moricand. What does Moricand represent structurally and thematically in the novel? How does he relate to the protagonist?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Miller's association to astrology, both in the text and as discussed from class research. How does Miller use astrology symbolically in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the themes of marriage and divorce in the novel. How does Miller reflect these themes in his life? How many times was Miller married, and to whom?
This section contains 865 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)