|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Miller receives letters from Ethiopia and Cairo, recommending that he read who?
2. How many of the artists who come through Big Sur, in Miller's time there, are truly talented, according to Miller?
3. Miller asserts that few city dwellers can stand solitude, but communities built on _____ and detachment are inevitable in this destructive world.
4. Almost how many artists of all sorts come through Big Sur in Henry Miller's twelve years there?
5. Who begins a yearlong yarn about a superman-like character named Inch Connecticut?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Miller's favorite local painter at Big Sur? In what ways does Miller work to improve his own work?
2. How does Miller describe Ephraim Doner in "Testimonial in Ut-Mineur"?
3. Miller discusses his thoughts and philosophies on painting in Part 2, Peace and Solitude: a Potpourri, Chapter 4. When did Miller begin painting and how much has he painted at this point in the book?
4. What does Miller assert as signs of the "system breaking down" in Part 1, "The Oranges of the Millennium"?
5. How does Miller describe "Karma" or balance in "The Part of Fortune"?
6. How does Miller describe corporal punishment in Part 2, Peace and Solitude: a Potpourri, Chapter 10?
7. Who helps Miller with his children following his divorce from Janina? What is the outcome?
8. Miller writes commentary in Part 1, The Oranges of the Millennium, examining the American Dream. What are his major points?
9. What does Miller write of Dianetics in Part 2, Peace and Solitude: a Potpourri, Chapter 9? What is Dianetics?
10. What does Miller write of Tolstoy in Part 2, Peace and Solitude: a Potpourri, Chapter 7? How does his domestic life relate to Miller's?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define the following terms and describe how the novel is structured using them: exposition, rising action, climax, and denouement.
Essay Topic 2
Who are the prominent members of the "Anderson Creek Gang"? What are their relationships and proximity to Henry Miller?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the process of Dianetics. Where in the text does Miller employ this? What are his associations with Dianetics?
This section contains 865 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)