|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the author of The Thirteen Crucified Saviours?
2. Miller gets detailed letters on bladder care from a man where?
3. What does Miller save and study to learn other painters' art?
4. Where did Henry Miller grow up?
5. Who begins a yearlong yarn about a superman-like character named Inch Connecticut?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Miller describe Ephraim Doner in "Testimonial in Ut-Mineur"?
2. How does Miller describe the plants and animals in Hieronymus Bosch's The Millennium? How does this relate to Big Sur?
3. Who does Miller describe meeting in Part 2, Peace and Solitude: a Potpourri, Chapter 5 at the sulfur baths?
4. What does Miller write of his correspondents in Part 2, Peace and Solitude: a Potpourri, Chapter 8?
5. What does Miller describe in Part 2, Peace and Solitude: a Potpourri, Chapter 1? What is the title of this chapter, and why?
6. How does Miller describe the process of inspiration in Part 2, Peace and Solitude: a Potpourri, Chapter 4?
7. Miller writes commentary in Part 1, The Oranges of the Millennium, examining the American Dream. What are his major points?
8. How has the population of children changed in Miller's time at Big Sur? Who are his favorites?
9. Who is able to thrive in Big Sur and who is not, according to Miller in Part 1, The Oranges of the Millennium?
10. What family lives in the center of Big Sur's community? Where in the text does Miller describe this family and others?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the process of Dianetics. Where in the text does Miller employ this? What are his associations with Dianetics?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Miller's artistic preferences. Who are his favorite painters and sculptors, and why? What are Miller's priorities in art?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Miller's involvement in the War and how World War II affects the characters in the novel. What was Moricand's involvement? How has the war affected America?
This section contains 862 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)