|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Almost how many artists of all sorts come through Big Sur in Henry Miller's twelve years there?
2. What family's home is often mistaken for a cafe, so they accommodate by selling sandwiches?
3. Hieronymus Bosch's The Millennium is the title of what?
4. A Dutch visitor upbraids Miller for clearing what instead of writing?
5. Who penned The Keys to the Apocalypse?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Miller assert as signs of the "system breaking down" in Part 1, "The Oranges of the Millennium"?
2. Who does Miller describe in Part 2, Peace and Solitude: a Potpourri, Chapter 7? How is this individual similar to Miller?
3. Miller discusses his thoughts and philosophies on painting in Part 2, Peace and Solitude: a Potpourri, Chapter 4. When did Miller begin painting and how much has he painted at this point in the book?
4. What is Harvey's affliction and what does Miller advise to him in Part 2, Peace and Solitude: a Potpourri, Chapter 1?
5. Miller compares Wharton's need to help others with the United States in Part 2, Peace and Solitude: a Potpourri, Chapter 7. How?
6. How has the population of children changed in Miller's time at Big Sur? Who are his favorites?
7. What does Miller write in Part 1, "The Oranges of the Millennium", in describing the community of Big Sur?
8. How does Miller describe "Karma" or balance in "The Part of Fortune"?
9. How does Miller describe corporal punishment in Part 2, Peace and Solitude: a Potpourri, Chapter 10?
10. How does Miller describe the plants and animals in Hieronymus Bosch's The Millennium? How does this relate to Big Sur?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the process of Dianetics. Where in the text does Miller employ this? What are his associations with Dianetics?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Henry Miller's unique narrative in Big Sur and the Oranges of Hieronymus Bosch. What new "genre" of literature is Miller noted for originating?
Essay Topic 3
Who are the prominent members of the "Anderson Creek Gang"? What are their relationships and proximity to Henry Miller?
This section contains 869 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)