|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What can improve bad painting, according to Miller?
2. Where does Miller describe his archives in Part 2, "Peace and Solitude: a Potpourri," Chapter 8?
3. Many of the residents of Big Sur see what for a brief period of time?
4. Miller writes in Part 2, "Peace and Solitude: a Potpourri," Chapter 10 that normal children are natural what?
5. Miller writes that Big Sur feels naked and vulnerable, an apt setting for what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Miller describe the process of inspiration in Part 2, Peace and Solitude: a Potpourri, Chapter 4?
2. What does Miller write of Tolstoy in Part 2, Peace and Solitude: a Potpourri, Chapter 7? How does his domestic life relate to Miller's?
3. How does Miller stay in touch with the outside world, according to his depiction in Part 1, The Oranges of the Millennium?
4. What is Harvey's affliction and what does Miller advise to him in Part 2, Peace and Solitude: a Potpourri, Chapter 1?
5. Who is Miller's favorite local painter at Big Sur? In what ways does Miller work to improve his own work?
6. What does Miller assert as signs of the "system breaking down" in Part 1, "The Oranges of the Millennium"?
7. How does Miller describe Ephraim Doner in "Testimonial in Ut-Mineur"?
8. How does Miller describe the plants and animals in Hieronymus Bosch's The Millennium? How does this relate to Big Sur?
9. How does Miller describe "Karma" or balance in "The Part of Fortune"?
10. What is "The Charma Serial" about?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of "childhood" as it is presented in the novel. What symbols reflect this theme? How does Miller believe children should be treated?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the setting of the novel. What makes Big Sur unique as an artist's retreat? What is significant about the time period of the setting to the novel's major themes?
Essay Topic 3
Who are the prominent members of the "Anderson Creek Gang"? What are their relationships and proximity to Henry Miller?
This section contains 843 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)