|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. One tourist visits Miller to spend hours looking through his what?
2. With whom does Miller go to see reproductions of Turner works?
3. Miller writes that people need what as much as they ignore it?
4. Miller writes that British correspondents are the most vapid, with the exception of poet Lawrence Durrell and the elderly but ever enthusiastic ______.
5. What does Miller find to be a constant nuisance in the beginning of the narrative?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Miller write of his correspondents in Part 2, Peace and Solitude: a Potpourri, Chapter 8?
2. Miller discusses his thoughts and philosophies on painting in Part 2, Peace and Solitude: a Potpourri, Chapter 4. When did Miller begin painting and how much has he painted at this point in the book?
3. What does Miller write of Dianetics in Part 2, Peace and Solitude: a Potpourri, Chapter 9? What is Dianetics?
4. Who does Miller describe meeting in Part 2, Peace and Solitude: a Potpourri, Chapter 5 at the sulfur baths?
5. How does Miller describe the process of inspiration in Part 2, Peace and Solitude: a Potpourri, Chapter 4?
6. How had Ephraim Doner ended up in Europe?
7. How does Miller describe "Karma" or balance in "The Part of Fortune"?
8. What does Miller attest is the principle problem with the people of Big Sur? What comparison does Miller make to classical tragedies?
9. What are some of the eccentricities of "The Anderson Creek Gang," which Miller describes in Part 2, Peace and Solitude: a Potpourri, Chapter 2?
10. Miller compares Wharton's need to help others with the United States in Part 2, Peace and Solitude: a Potpourri, Chapter 7. How?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Henry Miller's feelings about fan mail and correspondence. What two chapters are dedicated to this topic in the book? How do they relate?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Miller's involvement in the War and how World War II affects the characters in the novel. What was Moricand's involvement? How has the war affected America?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the process of Dianetics. Where in the text does Miller employ this? What are his associations with Dianetics?
This section contains 916 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)