|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Miller believes that young writers must learn by personal experience and lacks both the energy and knowledge to do what?
(b) Evaluate manuscripts.
(c) Refer publishers.
(d) Evaluate students.
2. Miller writes that most of the world's woes stem from _____ human behavior.
3. Where does Moricand develop a rash?
(a) His legs.
(b) His arms.
(c) His neck.
(d) His waist.
4. Miller questions that if Jesus were to come back again, people might do what to him?
(a) Hang him.
(b) Behead him.
(c) Electrocute him.
(d) Mummify him.
5. Who does Miller state carries self-sufficiency to the extreme?
(a) Oden Wharton.
(b) Hudson Kimbell.
(c) Howard Welch.
(d) Emil White.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is an absolute reality for Moricand?
2. What French-speaking friend visits Miller but soon wants to throw Moricand off a cliff?
3. Where does Moricand move after leaving Big Sur?
4. Who informs Moricand that he may not work and comes after Miller, who is legally responsible for him?
5. Who did Moricand work for during the war?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Miller describe his "addiction" to writing letters in the Epilogue?
2. How does Miller describe his walk home from the sulfur baths in the Epilogue?
3. What marital problems does Miller encounter during Part 3, Paradise Lost and how does he deal with them?
4. What are the similarities and differences between Conrad Moricand and Henry Miller?
5. What affliction does Moricand develop during his stay in Big Sur?
6. What does Moricand complain about after meeting with Wharton in Part 3, Paradise Lost?
7. What criticisms does Miller assert of American values in Part 2, Peace and Solitude: a Potpourri, Chapter 15?
8. What thoughts does Miller share of painting and writing versus living in the Epilogue?
9. What is Moricand's reaction to the rainy season in Big Sur? Who is called in to see him?
10. How does Miller work to solicit money for Conrad Moricand during their friendship?
This section contains 807 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)