|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Moricand write that he is living in 1947?
2. Miller writes in the Epilogue that he appreciates feedback and gifts, but asks that fans show appreciation by what?
(a) Buying his books.
(b) Mailing him money.
(c) Buying his paintings.
(d) Investing in his architecture.
3. Who is the impoverished, fatalistic astrologer for whom Miller is made financially responsible from Paris in 1936-39?
(a) Mohammed Ali Sarwat.
(b) Conrad Moricand.
(c) Emile White.
(d) Jean Wharton.
4. Moricand finds American meals and what to be insufficient?
5. Moricand and Miller have their last dinner in Paris together in what year?
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part 2, "Peace and Solitude: a Potpourri," Chapter 15, Miller writes that unless one knows where one is going, ____ leads there.
2. Where does Moricand state he wants to move in Part 3, "Paradise Lost," as he misses city life?
3. Miller reads what without prejudice in Part 3, "Paradise Lost"?
4. Miller talks his friends into commissioning what from Moricand and eventually invents customers, for whom he pays?
5. Moricand tells Val a winding tale about Paris that ends with him buying the services of a what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Moricand complain about after meeting with Wharton in Part 3, Paradise Lost?
2. What does Miller write about astrology in Part 3, "Paradise Lost"?
3. What is Miller's wife's reaction to Conrad Moricand? How does Moricand's first impression fade?
4. What is Miller's intention to the reader in writing the Epilogue?
5. What is Miller's conclusion of Big Sur upon the Epilogue of the novel?
6. What does Miller note of artistic grants in Part 2, Peace and Solitude: a Potpourri, Chapter 15?
7. How does Miller associate astrology with schizophrenia?
8. What fineries does Moricand insist upon? How does Miller react to Moricand's things?
9. What happens when Moricand attempts to find work after leaving Big Sur? What attempts are made to help him?
10. How does Miller describe his "addiction" to writing letters in the Epilogue?
This section contains 862 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)