|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Moricand rants about Wharton wanting him to read who?
(a) Mary Baker Eddy.
(d) James Joyce.
2. What does Moricand obtain by mail from Switzerland in Part 3, "Paradise Lost"?
3. Who leaves the obnoxious astrologer in Miller's care in Paris?
(a) Jean Wharton.
(b) Janina Miller.
(c) Anais Nin.
(d) Elizabeth Miller.
4. With whom is Miller constantly fighting in Part 3, "Paradise Lost"?
(b) Emil Wharton.
(d) Jean Wharton.
5. The Epilogue opens by describing three-day-a-week mail service by who?
Short Answer Questions
1. Miller believes that he can send powerful _____ to individuals around the globe and sometimes gets responses.
2. Who befriends Moricand and advises that Miller look at Moricand's portfolio of erotic drawings?
3. Who prefers subsistence farming over architecture, according to Miller?
4. What has swollen terribly, causing Moricand to be carried to the car in Part 3, "Paradise Lost"?
5. Moricand speaks in what language?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Miller's wife's reaction to Conrad Moricand? How does Moricand's first impression fade?
2. What is Miller's conclusion of Big Sur upon the Epilogue of the novel?
3. What happens when Moricand attempts to find work after leaving Big Sur? What attempts are made to help him?
4. How does Miller associate astrology with schizophrenia?
5. What is Moricand's reaction to the rainy season in Big Sur? Who is called in to see him?
6. How does Miller work to solicit money for Conrad Moricand during their friendship?
7. What is Miller's assessment of bureaucracy and the U.N. in Part 2, Peace and Solitude: a Potpourri, Chapter 15? What symbolic comparison does he make in this chapter?
8. What does Miller write about astrology in Part 3, "Paradise Lost"?
9. What does Miller comment upon regarding genuine needs in Part 2, Peace and Solitude: a Potpourri, Chapter 13?
10. What thoughts does Miller share of painting and writing versus living in the Epilogue?
This section contains 830 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)