|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Miller writes in the Epilogue that he appreciates feedback and gifts, but asks that fans show appreciation by what?
(a) Mailing him money.
(b) Buying his paintings.
(c) Buying his books.
(d) Investing in his architecture.
2. Miller finds, in the Epilogue, that working when is impossible?
(a) At noon.
(b) At night.
(c) At dawn.
(d) In the daytime.
3. Where does Moricand write that he is living in 1947?
4. Who books passage by sea and air for Moricand, but each time he fails to show up?
(a) Andre DuBrock.
(b) Raoul Bertrand.
(c) Michaelo Marcel.
(d) Jean Wharton.
5. Miller writes that people will do anything for ____, even piously chopping off heads in the French Revolution.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who sets Moricand up with a countess who collects occultists?
2. The Epilogue opens by describing three-day-a-week mail service by who?
3. What French-speaking friend visits Miller but soon wants to throw Moricand off a cliff?
4. Part 2, "Peace and Solitude: a Potpourri," Chapter 14, "A Day at the Baths," sketches ______, a place of solitude when Miller is lucky.
5. Wharton floats, radiantly, into Miller's garden with a lantern and what in Part 3, "Paradise Lost"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Miller call for to help take care of Moricand in Part 3, Paradise Lost? What is Moricand's condition at this point?
2. What does Miller write about astrology in Part 3, "Paradise Lost"?
3. How does Miller work to solicit money for Conrad Moricand during their friendship?
4. What does Moricand write of his experience in the wars in Part 3, "Paradise Lost"?
5. What does Miller note of artistic grants in Part 2, Peace and Solitude: a Potpourri, Chapter 15?
6. What is Miller's wife's reaction to Conrad Moricand? How does Moricand's first impression fade?
7. How does Miller associate astrology with schizophrenia?
8. What is Miller's assessment of bureaucracy and the U.N. in Part 2, Peace and Solitude: a Potpourri, Chapter 15? What symbolic comparison does he make in this chapter?
9. What affliction does Moricand develop during his stay in Big Sur?
10. Who is Conrad Moricand and how does Miller know him?
This section contains 820 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)