|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Miller, the Western home is a _____.
2. Which mystery writer provides research on the Essene cult?
(a) Lawrence Lipton.
(b) Restif de la Bretonne.
(c) Sir Godfrey Higgins.
(d) Agatha Christie.
3. Wharton has spent much time and effort helping people see positives in negatives, but most people live how?
4. Which Big Sur resident is a Dresden, Germany-born pianist, composer, and musical scholar?
(a) Norman Mini.
(b) Gerhart Meunch.
(c) Gilbert Neiman.
5. Miller finds it maddening as an artist to be incapable of capturing what adequately?
Short Answer Questions
1. From where does the Basque girl write to Miller for help?
2. Who was Miller's childhood friend and a victim of poison gas in World War I?
3. Miller writes in Part 2, "Peace and Solitude: a Potpourri," Chapter 7 that Americans worship _____ and tell others that they do not know how to live.
4. What is the colony of artists referred to at Big Sur in Part 2, "Peace and Solitude: a Potpourri," Chapter 2?
5. Which family at Big Sur hails from Mexico and embodies the virtues that Americans most undervalue, according to Miller?
Short Essay Questions
1. Miller discusses his thoughts and philosophies on painting in Part 2, Peace and Solitude: a Potpourri, Chapter 4. When did Miller begin painting and how much has he painted at this point in the book?
2. How does Miller stay in touch with the outside world, according to his depiction in Part 1, The Oranges of the Millennium?
3. How does Miller describe Ephraim Doner in "Testimonial in Ut-Mineur"?
4. What is the main question posed in Part 2, Peace and Solitude: a Potpourri, Chapter 10? Where does Miller gain insight in this subject?
5. What is "The Charma Serial" about?
6. Who is Miller's favorite local painter at Big Sur? In what ways does Miller work to improve his own work?
7. Who does Miller describe in Part 2, Peace and Solitude: a Potpourri, Chapter 7? How is this individual similar to Miller?
8. What does Miller describe in Part 2, Peace and Solitude: a Potpourri, Chapter 1? What is the title of this chapter, and why?
9. What family lives in the center of Big Sur's community? Where in the text does Miller describe this family and others?
10. What artists and writers does Miller describe living within the Big Sur community in Part 2, Peace and Solitude: a Potpourri, Chapter 2? How do they support themselves?
This section contains 931 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)