|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who swears that he hears mysterious music coming from Miller's cabin rather than from his own head?
2. How old is Miller's favorite young painter at Big Sur?
3. When had Miller and Doner met in France?
4. Who is the author of Big Sur Guide?
(a) Jean Wharton.
(b) Henry Miller.
(c) Conrad Moricand.
(d) Emil White.
5. Miller writes that Big Sur feels naked and vulnerable, an apt setting for what?
(a) Shakespearean tragedies.
(b) Roman tragedies.
(c) Greek tragedies.
Short Answer Questions
1. What can improve bad painting, according to Miller?
2. What is the colony of artists referred to at Big Sur in Part 2, "Peace and Solitude: a Potpourri," Chapter 2?
3. How many of the artists who come through Big Sur, in Miller's time there, are truly talented, according to Miller?
4. Miller writes that British correspondents are the most vapid, with the exception of poet Lawrence Durrell and the elderly but ever enthusiastic ______.
5. Who gives outdoor piano concerts to ward off poverty at Big Sur?
Short Essay Questions
1. Miller discusses his thoughts and philosophies on painting in Part 2, Peace and Solitude: a Potpourri, Chapter 4. When did Miller begin painting and how much has he painted at this point in the book?
2. Miller compares Wharton's need to help others with the United States in Part 2, Peace and Solitude: a Potpourri, Chapter 7. How?
3. What does Miller write in Part 1, "The Oranges of the Millennium", in describing the community of Big Sur?
4. What is Harvey's affliction and what does Miller advise to him in Part 2, Peace and Solitude: a Potpourri, Chapter 1?
5. What does Miller write of Tolstoy in Part 2, Peace and Solitude: a Potpourri, Chapter 7? How does his domestic life relate to Miller's?
6. Who is Miller's favorite local painter at Big Sur? In what ways does Miller work to improve his own work?
7. What family lives in the center of Big Sur's community? Where in the text does Miller describe this family and others?
8. How does Miller describe "Karma" or balance in "The Part of Fortune"?
9. How has the population of children changed in Miller's time at Big Sur? Who are his favorites?
10. Who helps Miller with his children following his divorce from Janina? What is the outcome?
This section contains 915 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)