|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How far are the sulfur baths from Miller's home, round-trip, in the Epilogue?
(a) Six miles.
(b) Ten miles.
(c) Eight miles.
(d) Five miles.
2. What Egyptian wants to be Miller's valet to survive in materialistic America?
(a) Mohammed Ali Lebon.
(b) Warren Leopold.
(c) Howard Welch.
(d) Mohammed Ali Sarwat.
3. What has swollen terribly, causing Moricand to be carried to the car in Part 3, "Paradise Lost"?
(a) His feet.
(b) His hands.
(c) His legs.
(d) His testicles.
4. Moricand finds American meals and what to be insufficient?
5. The Epilogue is originally a _____ to send to fans to explain why Miller cannot answer mail.
6. Miller writes in Part 2, "Peace and Solitude: a Potpourri," Chapter 13 that one must go through life learning what no one teaches and touching the sublime by doing the what?
7. Miller tries to envision Big Sur how far into the future, in the Epilogue?
(a) 30 years.
(b) 25 years.
(c) 500 years.
(d) 100 years.
8. Miller writes that if Jesus were to come back to earth, he would more likely sell what than send others off to die in war?
9. Miller questions that if Jesus were to come back again, people might do what to him?
(a) Mummify him.
(b) Behead him.
(c) Electrocute him.
(d) Hang him.
10. Who is the impoverished, fatalistic astrologer for whom Miller is made financially responsible from Paris in 1936-39?
(a) Emile White.
(b) Mohammed Ali Sarwat.
(c) Conrad Moricand.
(d) Jean Wharton.
11. Miller states that monkeys picking one another's fleas accomplish more than what?
12. What does Moricand obtain by mail from Switzerland in Part 3, "Paradise Lost"?
13. Miller writes in the Epilogue, when all else fails, do what?
14. Miller writes in Part 3, "Paradise Lost," "Freedom implies ____."
15. Moricand often lectures Miller on how the laws of the universe determine one's fate even more than the what?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is an absolute reality for Moricand?
2. Moricand refuses to teach who French, feeling that American children are undisciplined?
3. The Epilogue opens by describing three-day-a-week mail service by who?
4. Where is Moricand living when he meets Miller?
5. Who books passage by sea and air for Moricand, but each time he fails to show up?
This section contains 394 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)