|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which author is a Russian at heart and cannot find a publisher for his novel, The Falling Asleep?
(a) Conrad Moricand.
(b) Niels Scharmosky.
(c) Jake Kenney.
(d) Emil White.
2. What book of Miller's was banned in the United States?
(a) Crazy Cook.
(b) Big Sur and the Oranges of Hieronymus Bosch.
(c) Tropic of Cancer.
(d) Black Spring.
3. What does Miller save and study to learn other painters' art?
4. Where did Henry Miller grow up?
(a) Brooklyn, NY.
(b) Big Sur, CA.
(c) Queens, NY.
(d) San Francisco, CA.
5. Who gives outdoor piano concerts to ward off poverty at Big Sur?
(a) Conrad Moricand.
(b) Henry Miller.
(c) Emil White.
(d) Gerhart Muench.
6. Who swears that he hears mysterious music coming from Miller's cabin rather than from his own head?
7. All of the animals and plants in Bosch's paintings share a magic _____.
8. What can improve bad painting, according to Miller?
(a) Good framing.
(b) Good hanging.
(c) Good lighting.
(d) Good subject.
9. From whom does Miller learn much about painting, including having fun?
(a) Emil White.
(b) Jack Morgenrath.
(c) Conrad Moricand.
(d) Jean Wharton.
10. Muench practicing who inspires Miller to paint music?
11. What family's home is often mistaken for a cafe, so they accommodate by selling sandwiches?
(a) The Millers.
(b) The Whartons.
(c) The Muench's.
(d) The White's.
12. Miller writes that in 19__ the U.S. tried to fix the world's problems, but had itself deteriorated.
13. Where was Ephraim Doner born and raised?
14. Who operates the upscale Nepenthe Restaurant and let their five children run wild without thought of discipline?
(a) The Whartons.
(b) The Fassetts.
(c) The Waltons.
(d) The Whites.
15. Who is living in the studio and offers to help Miller take care of his children following the breakup of his marriage?
(a) Walter Winslow.
(b) Walter Matthews.
(c) Wilson Winslow.
(d) Wilbur Robinson.
Short Answer Questions
1. What denomination of preacher is Miller's favorite bootblack in Monterey?
2. How old is Miller's favorite young painter at Big Sur?
3. What is the title of Part 2, "Peace and Solitude: a Potpourri," Chapter 11?
4. Who is Miller's brother-in-law in Jerusalem?
5. When had Miller and Doner met in France?
This section contains 366 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)