|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What can improve bad painting, according to Miller?
(a) Good subject.
(b) Good framing.
(c) Good lighting.
(d) Good hanging.
2. Miller asserts in Part 1, "The Oranges of the Millennium," that people fail to realize that life is what?
(b) A dream.
(c) In God's image.
3. Where does Miller describe his archives in Part 2, "Peace and Solitude: a Potpourri," Chapter 8?
(a) N.Y.U. Library.
(b) Library of Congress.
(c) U.C.L.A. Library.
(d) Columbia Library.
4. Miller asserts that few city dwellers can stand solitude, but communities built on _____ and detachment are inevitable in this destructive world.
5. Wharton has spent much time and effort helping people see positives in negatives, but most people live how?
6. What does Miller do when his wife and children disappear and he has no means of communication?
7. Who is the author of The Thirteen Crucified Saviours?
(a) Sir Godfrey Higgins.
(b) Jean Wharton.
(c) James Conrad.
(d) Emil White.
8. In what year is Miller in Villa Seurat?
9. Who begins a yearlong yarn about a superman-like character named Inch Connecticut?
(b) Henry Miller.
(c) Conrad Moricand.
(d) Paul Rink.
10. Where did Henry Miller grow up?
(a) Big Sur, CA.
(b) Queens, NY.
(c) San Francisco, CA.
(d) Brooklyn, NY.
11. What would-be writer hopes to find the Cult of Sex and Anarchy?
12. With whom does Miller go to see reproductions of Turner works?
(c) Mike Anderson.
13. Who was Miller's childhood friend and a victim of poison gas in World War I?
(a) Phillip Simmons.
(b) Jackie Ross.
(c) Paul Burts.
(d) Eddie Carney.
14. What religion do people say Jean Wharton is?
(c) Polish Catholic.
(d) Christian Scientist.
15. Who reserves two rooms in his new estate for the Millers?
(a) Ephraim Doner.
(b) Eugene Pachutinsky.
(c) Conrad Moricand.
(d) Jean Wharton.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Miller use to wrap books in to send to friends?
2. Who is expelled from West Point and finishes a fine novel that remains unpublished when he moves to Big Sur, CA?
3. What family's home is often mistaken for a cafe, so they accommodate by selling sandwiches?
4. Miller gets detailed letters on bladder care from a man where?
5. Part 2, "Peace and Solitude: a Potpourri," Chapter 9 opens with Miller borrowing the _____ concept of "clearing,"
This section contains 400 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)