|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 2, Peace and Solitude: a Potpourri, Chapters 4-6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was Miller's childhood friend and a victim of poison gas in World War I?
(a) Phillip Simmons.
(b) Paul Burts.
(c) Eddie Carney.
(d) Jackie Ross.
2. What lessens the idealism of Big Sur as a place for Miller to write?
3. Miller writes that "one must find new ways of looking at things to see ______ undiminished by creation's flaws."
4. From whom does Miller learn much about painting, including having fun?
(a) Jack Morgenrath.
(b) Jean Wharton.
(c) Conrad Moricand.
(d) Emil White.
5. What does Miller save and study to learn other painters' art?
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom does Miller go to see reproductions of Turner works?
2. Where did Henry Miller grow up?
3. Miller finds it maddening as an artist to be incapable of capturing what adequately?
4. Which Big Sur resident is a Dresden, Germany-born pianist, composer, and musical scholar?
5. A Dutch visitor upbraids Miller for clearing what instead of writing?
This section contains 189 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)