|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 2, Peace and Solitude: a Potpourri, Chapters 1-3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Miller writes that "one must find new ways of looking at things to see ______ undiminished by creation's flaws."
2. How many of the artists who come through Big Sur, in Miller's time there, are truly talented, according to Miller?
3. Who is the author of The Stranger in Big Sur?
(a) Jean-Paul Sartre.
(b) Lillian Bos Ross.
(c) Jack Kerouac.
(d) Henry Miller.
4. Who swears that he hears mysterious music coming from Miller's cabin rather than from his own head?
5. Miller writes in Part 1, "The Oranges of the Millennium," that he who comes to Big Sur must come with capable hands, a strong heart, and a sense of humor, and expect no _______.
(a) Help from neighbors.
(b) Modern amenities.
(c) Things to come easy.
(d) Monetary gain.
Short Answer Questions
1. Miller asserts in Part 1, "The Oranges of the Millennium," that people fail to realize that life is what?
2. Miller writes that the local folk in Big Sur have embraced the healing ambiance and discovered how to live in peace, _____, and community.
3. Almost how many artists of all sorts come through Big Sur in Henry Miller's twelve years there?
4. What family's home is often mistaken for a cafe, so they accommodate by selling sandwiches?
5. Who is a gifted story teller and expert in literature who suffers writer's block in Part 2, "Peace and Solitude: a Potpourri," Chapter 1?
This section contains 243 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)