• In Chapter 1, Mrs. Patty Ponder is talking to her cat and watching television.
• She lives right by Pirriwee Public school.
• She hears a commotion during trivia night, and she goes to look out the window.
• She sees two men fighting, and the men are separated by the other parents.
• The chapter ends with various parents giving their testimony about how the fight began.
• A police detective-sergeant ends the chapter by saying that this is a murder investigation.
• Chapter 2 takes place six months before trivia night at Pirriwee.
• It is Madeline Martha Mackenzie’s 40th birthday, and she is driving her five-year-old daughter Chloe, to her kindergarten orientation at Pirriwee.
• Madeline is feeling old and frumpy.
• She sees that the girl driving the car ahead of her is texting and driving.
• At a red light, Madeline stops her car and tells the girl to stop texting.
This section contains 9,054 words
(approx. 31 pages at 300 words per page)