|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Mrs. Atkins first name?
2. What does Mrs. Atkins use in order to move around?
3. What job does Mrs. Mayo at one time hold?
4. What is the name that Robert's daughter calls him?
5. Who says Andrew is a born farmer while talking after dinner?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ruth look like in Act 3, Scene 1?
2. What are Ruth's intentions when she goes up to the hilltop?
3. Describe the sitting room's appearance in Act 3.
4. What does Mrs. Atkins criticize Robert for as she sits at the table knitting with Mrs. Mayo?
5. When Robert dies, how do Andrew and Ruth react?
6. What reasons does Ruth give for wanting to talk with Robert alone at the fence the night before he is supposed to leave?
7. How does Ruth react to the news that Robert loves her?
8. Describe the setting of Act 1, Scene 1.
9. Describe Robert's interests at the beginning of Act 1.
10. What does James Mayo say about Uncle Dick's comment that Andrew would be a better sea-faring man than Robert?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Dick Scott and his role in the play. How does he have a significant impact on Andrew, Robert, and Ruth's lives?
Essay Topic 2
In what ways did Robert ignore his true calling? What were the consequences of this decision? Discuss using specific textual examples to support your viewpoint.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the reasons that Andrew gives for going on the sea voyage. Why does he lie to his father? Do you think he regrets his lie? Why or why not?
This section contains 670 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)