|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Robert says Ruth is mean and:
2. Who says "Oh, Ruth, our love is sweeter than any distant dream?"
3. What does Andrew tell Dick Scott he will do at the end of Act I, Scene II?
4. How old is Ruth?
5. What is the setting of Act I, Scene 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. Is Mary sensitive to her parents emotional state on the hilltop?
2. How do Kate and James Mayo feel about Robert leaving on the voyage?
3. What is Andrew's reaction to Robert's announcement that he is in love with Ruth?
4. In Act 2, Scene 1, describe Robert's relationship with Mary.
5. What news does Uncle Dick bring Andrew when he climbs up to the hilltop?
6. What does Robert tell his family when he returns from walking Ruth and her mother home?
7. Describe Robert's interests at the beginning of Act 1.
8. When Robert dies, how do Andrew and Ruth react?
9. Describe the hilltop setting of Act 2, Scene 2.
10. What is the reason James tells Andrew to never return to the farm again?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the brothers' viewpoints about the sea voyage at the beginning of the play. Whose view is more practical? What do you think of Robert's reasons for going? Explain your viewpoint.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of suffering in this play. Who seems to have suffered the most? Use textual examples to support your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Robert's disappointment in Andrew's lack of description about his sea voyages. What kind of details does Robert want to know about his travels? How does Andrew fail to provide that information?
This section contains 764 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)