|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is laughing at Ben?
2. What does Mrs. Atkins use in order to move around?
3. Who says the hills around the farm feel like a prison?
4. Who has lost her fresh appearance at the beginning of Act 2?
5. What excuse does Ruth use as the reason she has to stay on the farm?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Andrew think it's a good idea for Robert to go on the sea voyage?
2. Is Mary sensitive to her parents emotional state on the hilltop?
3. How has Ruth changed after three years of being married?
4. In Act 2, Scene 1, describe Robert's relationship with Mary.
5. What is the reason James tells Andrew to never return to the farm again?
6. How does Andrew describe his feelings for Ruth as he and Robert sit on the hilltop discussing Andrew's travels?
7. What is the setting of Act 1, Scene 2?
8. Describe Robert's death scene.
9. Describe the hilltop setting of Act 2, Scene 2.
10. How do Kate and James Mayo feel about Robert leaving on the voyage?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Robert's disappointment in Andrew's lack of description about his sea voyages. What kind of details does Robert want to know about his travels? How does Andrew fail to provide that information?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the relationship between Ruth and Robert. What made her believe she loved him? What causes her to change her mind? Do you believe that Robert continued to care for Ruth right up to his death?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the themes of bad luck/good luck. How do we see these themes used in the play? Who is most closely connected with bad luck and what does he hope for to turn his luck around?
This section contains 1,279 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)