|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Atkins use in order to move around?
2. Who is laughing at Ben?
3. What does Mr. Mayo threaten to do to Andrew if he finds him still at home in the morning?
4. How long will Robert be at sea?
5. What is Ruth reading when Robert comes in and watches her without her knowing in Act 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Ruth's intentions when she goes up to the hilltop?
2. What does Mrs. Mayo say killed her husband?
3. What kind of plan does Andrew speak about to Ruth while the doctor is examining Robert?
4. What does Kate say she thinks is going on between Ruth and Robert?
5. Why does Ben quit his job as hired-hand?
6. What does Ruth say when Andrew angrily asks her why they didn't let him know about Robert's deteriorating health?
7. How does Mrs. Mayo defend her son Robert from Mrs. Atkins' criticisms?
8. What does Robert say about Mary's death eight months before?
9. What do Andrew and Ruth do when they find Robert on the side of the road?
10. Why is the true reason Andrew doesn't want to stay on the farm?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What kind of person is Ruth? Do you think she had a difficult life? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Dick Scott and his role in the play. How does he have a significant impact on Andrew, Robert, and Ruth's lives?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of suffering in this play. Who seems to have suffered the most? Use textual examples to support your opinion.
This section contains 741 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)