|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name that Robert's daughter calls him?
2. How does Mr. Mayo respond when Andrew says he wants to see the world?
3. Robert says Ruth is mean and:
4. What does Andrew say from offstage at the end of Act 2, Scene 1?
5. What is Ben's job?
Short Essay Questions
1. How has Ruth changed after three years of being married?
2. What did Andrew discover about Argentina?
3. Why does Robert say he wants to die while outside watching the sun rise?
4. Describe Robert's physical state at the beginning of Act 3.
5. When Andrew hears the news that Robert will die soon, how does he show his optimistic outlook about Robert's chances to get well?
6. How does Andrew react when Robert says it's too late for a cure and has a coughing fit?
7. Why is the true reason Andrew doesn't want to stay on the farm?
8. What does Robert say about Mary's death eight months before?
9. How does Ruth react to the news that Robert loves her?
10. What does Andrew promise Robert before he dies?
Essay Topic 1
In what way is the sun used to symbolize hope? Discuss Robert's need to see the sun before he dies. Why is it important to him?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the themes of bad luck/good luck. How do we see these themes used in the play? Who is most closely connected with bad luck and what does he hope for to turn his luck around?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the relationship between Ruth and Robert. What made her believe she loved him? What causes her to change her mind? Do you believe that Robert continued to care for Ruth right up to his death?
This section contains 1,217 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)