|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Robert tell his family that he loves Ruth?
2. Who says to Robert "I didn't want to spoil this last night you're here?"
3. Who is knitting at the beginning of Act 2?
4. What does Robert think the secret is to what he has been seeking at the beginning of the play?
5. What does Mrs. Mayo say about Ruth and Andrew?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Kate and James Mayo feel about Robert leaving on the voyage?
2. Describe the hilltop setting of Act 2, Scene 2.
3. Describe Robert's death scene.
4. Describe how Andrew has changed since he went away on the voyage.
5. In Act 2, Scene 1, describe Robert's relationship with Mary.
6. When Andrew hears the news that Robert will die soon, how does he show his optimistic outlook about Robert's chances to get well?
7. Describe Robert's physical state at the beginning of Act 3.
8. Why does Robert want to leave the farm?
9. What is Andrew's reaction to Robert's reasons for leaving on the voyage?
10. What reasons does Ruth give for wanting to talk with Robert alone at the fence the night before he is supposed to leave?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of suffering in this play. Who seems to have suffered the most? Use textual examples to support your opinion.
Essay Topic 2
What is Robert's relationship with his daughter Mary? Do you agree or disagree that he seems to be a better parent than Ruth? Explain your viewpoint using specific textual examples.
Essay Topic 3
Describe Andrew's perspective about telling lies. When does he tell lies in the play and why does he choose to do so? What are the consequences for him?
This section contains 759 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)