|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Mayo say in Act 2, Scene1 to defend Robert against Mrs. Atkins' criticisms?
2. What is the name of Robert and Ruth's child?
3. Who is joining the Mayo family for dinner at the beginning of the play?
4. What does Dick Scott fix up on his ship for Robert?
5. What does Andrew check on after dinner when he leaves the sitting room?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mrs. Atkins criticize Robert for as she sits at the table knitting with Mrs. Mayo?
2. What does Robert say about Mary's death eight months before?
3. How has Ruth changed after three years of being married?
4. When Andrew hears the news that Robert will die soon, how does he show his optimistic outlook about Robert's chances to get well?
5. How does Robert respond when Andrew says he's planning to return to Argentina?
6. What story does Uncle Dick tell the family as they sit around the table?
7. Why does Ben quit his job as hired-hand?
8. What does Robert say that the doctor told him to do to be cured?
9. In Act 2, Scene 1, describe Robert's relationship with Mary.
10. Describe the country setting where Robert goes to die.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do you think it is fair that Ruth asks Robert to cancel his plans for the sea voyage and stay at home with her? In what ways does she manipulate him to make this decision? Explain using specific supporting examples.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Dick Scott and his role in the play. How does he have a significant impact on Andrew, Robert, and Ruth's lives?
Essay Topic 3
In what way is the sun used to symbolize hope? Discuss Robert's need to see the sun before he dies. Why is it important to him?
This section contains 734 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)