|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who says Andrew is a born farmer while talking after dinner?
2. What does Mrs. Atkins use in order to move around?
3. What is Dick Scott's title?
4. What nickname does Robert give Ruth?
5. What does Dick Scott fix up on his ship for Robert?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Robert's death scene.
2. What is the setting of Act 1, Scene 2?
3. What is Andrew's reaction to Robert's announcement that he is in love with Ruth?
4. Describe Robert's interests at the beginning of Act 1.
5. What does Ruth tell her mother about Robert's plan for their future when he gets well and can leave the farm?
6. How has Ruth changed after three years of being married?
7. What does Robert tell his family when he returns from walking Ruth and her mother home?
8. Why does Robert say he wants to die while outside watching the sun rise?
9. What does Mrs. Mayo say killed her husband?
10. Describe the country setting where Robert goes to die.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the relationship between Ruth and Robert. What made her believe she loved him? What causes her to change her mind? Do you believe that Robert continued to care for Ruth right up to his death?
Essay Topic 2
What is Mrs. Atkins' role in the play? Provide three examples of how Mrs. Atkins influences the lives of others.
Essay Topic 3
Describe Dick Scott and his role in the play. How does he have a significant impact on Andrew, Robert, and Ruth's lives?
This section contains 699 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)