|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the main room of the farmhouse look like in Act 2?
2. What does Andrew say from offstage at the end of Act 2, Scene 1?
3. What kind of luck does Robert say he's been having?
4. Who says that Ruth came to her for advice about managing the farm?
5. What does Robert say to Ruth about why he has to leave?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Kate and James Mayo feel about Robert leaving on the voyage?
2. What did Andrew discover about Argentina?
3. Why does Ben quit his job as hired-hand?
4. When Robert dies, how do Andrew and Ruth react?
5. Describe the hilltop setting of Act 2, Scene 2.
6. Is Mary sensitive to her parents emotional state on the hilltop?
7. When Andrew hears the news that Robert will die soon, how does he show his optimistic outlook about Robert's chances to get well?
8. What does Ruth tell her mother about Robert's plan for their future when he gets well and can leave the farm?
9. What story does Uncle Dick tell the family as they sit around the table?
10. Why does Robert want to leave the farm?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the reasons that Andrew gives for going on the sea voyage. Why does he lie to his father? Do you think he regrets his lie? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the role of sickness in this play. In what way is sickness believed to be passed from one character to another? How did Robert battle illness as a young child? Does he seem to resent others' view of him as having a poor constitution?
Essay Topic 3
In what way is the sun used to symbolize hope? Discuss Robert's need to see the sun before he dies. Why is it important to him?
This section contains 798 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)