|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who says "I feel--dead" at the end of Act I, Scene 2?
2. Who has lost her fresh appearance at the beginning of Act 2?
3. What does Dick Scott fix up on his ship for Robert?
4. Where does Robert bring Mrs. Atkins after dinner?
5. What charms Ruth about Robert's voice when he's telling the dreams of his childhood?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Act 2, Scene 1, describe Robert's relationship with Mary.
2. When Robert dies, how do Andrew and Ruth react?
3. What does Ruth look like in Act 3, Scene 1?
4. What is the reason James tells Andrew to never return to the farm again?
5. What is Andrew's response to Robert when he cries out that the situation is damnable?
6. How do Kate and James Mayo feel about Robert leaving on the voyage?
7. When Andrew hears the news that Robert will die soon, how does he show his optimistic outlook about Robert's chances to get well?
8. What does Kate say she thinks is going on between Ruth and Robert?
9. What does Robert tell Ruth about why he is leaving?
10. What do Andrew and Ruth do when they find Robert on the side of the road?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What kind of person is Ruth? Do you think she had a difficult life? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Do you think it is fair that Ruth asks Robert to cancel his plans for the sea voyage and stay at home with her? In what ways does she manipulate him to make this decision? Explain using specific supporting examples.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the literal and symbolic meaning of the title "Beyond the Horizon." What particular meaning does it have for Robert and Andrew?
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)