|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Mayo tell Dick Scott he needs to find for his voyage?
2. In what month is the beginning of the play set?
3. What is the name of Robert and Ruth's child?
4. What is his mother's reaction when Robert tells his family about him and Ruth?
5. What is Robert late for in Act 2, Scene 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. Is Mary sensitive to her parents emotional state on the hilltop?
2. Describe Robert's death scene.
3. What are Ruth and Robert's reactions to the news that Andrew is sailing again the next morning on a ship for Argentina?
4. How do Kate and James Mayo feel about Robert leaving on the voyage?
5. What news does Uncle Dick bring Andrew when he climbs up to the hilltop?
6. Describe the argument between Robert and Ruth in Act 2, Scene 1.
7. What does James Mayo say about Uncle Dick's comment that Andrew would be a better sea-faring man than Robert?
8. What does Robert say that the doctor told him to do to be cured?
9. What does Andrew tell Robert about his travels when he joins him on the hilltop?
10. How does Mrs. Mayo defend her son Robert from Mrs. Atkins' criticisms?
Essay Topic 1
Describe Dick Scott and his role in the play. How does he have a significant impact on Andrew, Robert, and Ruth's lives?
Essay Topic 2
What is Mrs. Atkins' role in the play? Provide three examples of how Mrs. Atkins influences the lives of others.
Essay Topic 3
Describe Andrew's physical appearance and personality at the beginning of the play and contrast it with how he looks and behaves at the end of the play. What do you think caused these changes?
This section contains 1,319 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)