|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of luck does Robert say he's been having?
2. What does the woman from the missionary ask Dick Scott?
3. What is Mrs. Atkins first name?
4. What is Robert in search of during the sea voyage?
5. What does Robert say to Ruth about why he has to leave?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mrs. Mayo say killed her husband?
2. Describe Robert's interests at the beginning of Act 1.
3. When Andrew hears the news that Robert will die soon, how does he show his optimistic outlook about Robert's chances to get well?
4. What does Andrew promise Robert before he dies?
5. How does Andrew try to make good on his promise to his brother to take care of Ruth?
6. How has Ruth changed after three years of being married?
7. What are Ruth's intentions when she goes up to the hilltop?
8. What does Ruth say when Andrew angrily asks her why they didn't let him know about Robert's deteriorating health?
9. What is Ruth reading when Robert comes in for dinner in Act 2, Scene 1?
10. Describe the setting of Act 1, Scene 1.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Robert's view of his life. How does he feel he's come full circle to his original desires? What does he seem to expect in an afterlife?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Dick Scott and his role in the play. How does he have a significant impact on Andrew, Robert, and Ruth's lives?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the play, Andrew is held up as an example of a good farmer. Discuss the other character's view of him as the person who will turn the farm around. Does he succeed in fulfilling these expectations? Why or why not?
This section contains 754 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)