|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What job does Mrs. Mayo at one time hold?
2. What does Andrew check on after dinner when he leaves the sitting room?
3. What is Ben's job?
4. What does Andrew say is not part of Robert's nature when he is talking with him at the fence?
5. What does Robert point to in the sky at the end of the Act 1, Scene1?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Andrew describe his feelings for Ruth as he and Robert sit on the hilltop discussing Andrew's travels?
2. Describe the setting of Act 1, Scene 1.
3. How does Ruth behave toward Robert when he comes in late for dinner?
4. Why does Ben quit his job as hired-hand?
5. What are Ruth and Robert's reactions to the news that Andrew is sailing again the next morning on a ship for Argentina?
6. What is Ruth reading when Robert comes in for dinner in Act 2, Scene 1?
7. Describe the argument between Robert and Ruth in Act 2, Scene 1.
8. Why does Robert want to leave the farm?
9. What is Andrew's reaction to Robert's reasons for leaving on the voyage?
10. What does Kate say she thinks is going on between Ruth and Robert?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of suffering in this play. Who seems to have suffered the most? Use textual examples to support your opinion.
Essay Topic 2
Do you think it is fair that Ruth asks Robert to cancel his plans for the sea voyage and stay at home with her? In what ways does she manipulate him to make this decision? Explain using specific supporting examples.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the literal and symbolic meaning of the title "Beyond the Horizon." What particular meaning does it have for Robert and Andrew?
This section contains 721 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)