Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name that Robert's daughter calls him?
2. How does Mr. Mayo respond when Andrew says he wants to see the world?
3. Robert says Ruth is mean and:
4. What does Andrew say from offstage at the end of Act 2, Scene 1?
5. What is Ben's job?
Short Essay Questions
1. How has Ruth changed after three years of being married?
2. What did Andrew discover about Argentina?
3. Why does Robert say he wants to die while outside watching the sun rise?
4. Describe Robert's physical state at the beginning of Act 3.
5. When Andrew hears the news that Robert will die soon, how does he show his optimistic outlook about Robert's chances to get well?
6. How does Andrew react when Robert says it's too late for a cure and has a coughing fit?
7. Why is the true reason Andrew doesn't want to stay on the farm?
8. What does Robert say about Mary's death eight months before?
9. How does Ruth react to the news that Robert loves her?
10. What does Andrew promise Robert before he dies?
Essay Topic 1
Explain the role of sickness in this play. In what way is sickness believed to be passed from one character to another? How did Robert battle illness as a young child? Does he seem to resent others' view of him as having a poor constitution?
Essay Topic 2
What kind of person is Ruth? Do you think she had a difficult life? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the reasons that Andrew gives for going on the sea voyage. Why does he lie to his father? Do you think he regrets his lie? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,217 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)