|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the woman from the missionary ask Dick Scott?
2. What sound does Mary make in the bedroom while her parents are fighting?
3. Who is joining the Mayo family for dinner at the beginning of the play?
4. Who does Ruth say she loves at the end of Act 2, Scene 1?
5. What does Andrew tell his parents about Robert's perspective on the sea voyage?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Robert's plan for his and Ruth's future when he gets well.
2. Describe the setting of Act 1, Scene 1.
3. What is Andrew's response to Robert when he cries out that the situation is damnable?
4. How does Ruth react to the news that Robert loves her?
5. How do Kate and James Mayo feel about Robert leaving on the voyage?
6. Why does Andrew think it's a good idea for Robert to go on the sea voyage?
7. How has Ruth changed after three years of being married?
8. What reasons does Ruth give for wanting to talk with Robert alone at the fence the night before he is supposed to leave?
9. What does Kate say she thinks is going on between Ruth and Robert?
10. Who is Ruth waiting up for in Act 3, Scene 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what ways did Robert ignore his true calling? What were the consequences of this decision? Discuss using specific textual examples to support your viewpoint.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Dick Scott and his role in the play. How does he have a significant impact on Andrew, Robert, and Ruth's lives?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the reasons that Andrew gives for going on the sea voyage. Why does he lie to his father? Do you think he regrets his lie? Why or why not?
This section contains 693 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)