|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Uncle Dick say to Andrew about the way he spoke up to his father in Act 1, Scene 2?
2. What does Robert think the secret is to what he has been seeking at the beginning of the play?
3. What does Mr. Mayo tell Dick Scott he needs to find for his voyage?
4. What does Mrs. Mayo say her husband died of?
5. Who says the hills around the farm feel like a prison?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the hilltop setting of Act 2, Scene 2.
2. What does Andrew promise Robert before he dies?
3. Why does Robert say he wants to die while outside watching the sun rise?
4. Describe Robert's physical state at the beginning of Act 3.
5. Describe the sitting room's appearance in Act 3.
6. How does Andrew try to make good on his promise to his brother to take care of Ruth?
7. What is Ruth reading when Robert comes in for dinner in Act 2, Scene 1?
8. What does Ruth look like in Act 3, Scene 1?
9. When Robert dies, how do Andrew and Ruth react?
10. How does Ruth behave toward Robert when he comes in late for dinner?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the literal and symbolic meaning of the title "Beyond the Horizon." What particular meaning does it have for Robert and Andrew?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the relationship between Ruth and Robert. What made her believe she loved him? What causes her to change her mind? Do you believe that Robert continued to care for Ruth right up to his death?
Essay Topic 3
In what way is the sun used to symbolize hope? Discuss Robert's need to see the sun before he dies. Why is it important to him?
This section contains 708 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)