|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Mr. Mayo's opinion of Andrew of at the end of Act 1, Scene 2?
2. Why does Ruth complain about her mother to Robert at the beginning of the play?
3. Why does Robert bring up Uncle Dick's name when he's talking with Ruth in Act 1, Scene 1?
4. What does Ben say is broken in Act 2, Scene 1?
5. Where is Andrew when Robert tells his family that he loves Ruth?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Andrew describe his feelings for Ruth as he and Robert sit on the hilltop discussing Andrew's travels?
2. How does Robert respond when Andrew says he's planning to return to Argentina?
3. How do Kate and James Mayo feel about Robert leaving on the voyage?
4. What does Ruth say when Andrew angrily asks her why they didn't let him know about Robert's deteriorating health?
5. How does Andrew try to make good on his promise to his brother to take care of Ruth?
6. In Act 2, Scene 1, describe Robert's relationship with Mary.
7. Who is Ruth waiting up for in Act 3, Scene 1?
8. What does Andrew tell Robert about his travels when he joins him on the hilltop?
9. How does Ruth behave toward Robert when he comes in late for dinner?
10. What does Andrew promise Robert before he dies?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do you think it is fair that Ruth asks Robert to cancel his plans for the sea voyage and stay at home with her? In what ways does she manipulate him to make this decision? Explain using specific supporting examples.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the literal and symbolic meaning of the title "Beyond the Horizon." What particular meaning does it have for Robert and Andrew?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the brothers' viewpoints about the sea voyage at the beginning of the play. Whose view is more practical? What do you think of Robert's reasons for going? Explain your viewpoint.
This section contains 810 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)