|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Ruth?
2. What does Andrew suggest his father do to get more help on the farm?
3. What does the child want to play with at the beginning of Act 2?
4. What does Robert do after he lifts Ruth into his arms in Act 1, Scene 1?
5. Who is Andrew?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Andrew discover about Argentina?
2. Describe how Andrew has changed since he went away on the voyage.
3. What kind of plan does Andrew speak about to Ruth while the doctor is examining Robert?
4. Why does Andrew think it's a good idea for Robert to go on the sea voyage?
5. How does Andrew try to make good on his promise to his brother to take care of Ruth?
6. When Andrew hears the news that Robert will die soon, how does he show his optimistic outlook about Robert's chances to get well?
7. How has Ruth changed after three years of being married?
8. What does Robert say about Mary's death eight months before?
9. What work is Andrew considered to be well suited for?
10. Describe the sitting room's appearance in Act 3.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the literal and symbolic meaning of the title "Beyond the Horizon." What particular meaning does it have for Robert and Andrew?
Essay Topic 2
In what ways did Robert ignore his true calling? What were the consequences of this decision? Discuss using specific textual examples to support your viewpoint.
Essay Topic 3
Describe Andrew's physical appearance and personality at the beginning of the play and contrast it with how he looks and behaves at the end of the play. What do you think caused these changes?
This section contains 726 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)