|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Andrew check on after dinner when he leaves the sitting room?
2. What does Robert plan to do to keep the family afloat until harvest time?
3. What is Dick Scott's title?
4. What is the name that Robert's daughter calls him?
5. What kind of work does Andrew say he likes to do in Act 1, Scene 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mrs. Mayo defend her son Robert from Mrs. Atkins' criticisms?
2. What does Robert tell his family when he returns from walking Ruth and her mother home?
3. Describe Robert's interests at the beginning of Act 1.
4. In Act 2, Scene 1, describe Robert's relationship with Mary.
5. Describe the hilltop setting of Act 2, Scene 2.
6. What is Ruth reading when Robert comes in for dinner in Act 2, Scene 1?
7. What work is Andrew considered to be well suited for?
8. What does Robert say about Mary's death eight months before?
9. What news does Uncle Dick bring Andrew when he climbs up to the hilltop?
10. What is Andrew's reaction to Robert's reasons for leaving on the voyage?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the reasons that Andrew gives for going on the sea voyage. Why does he lie to his father? Do you think he regrets his lie? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Do you think it is fair that Ruth asks Robert to cancel his plans for the sea voyage and stay at home with her? In what ways does she manipulate him to make this decision? Explain using specific supporting examples.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the literal and symbolic meaning of the title "Beyond the Horizon." What particular meaning does it have for Robert and Andrew?
This section contains 1,282 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)