|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Mayo say in Act 2, Scene1 to defend Robert against Mrs. Atkins' criticisms?
2. Who is joining the Mayo family for dinner at the beginning of the play?
3. Why does Ruth complain about her mother to Robert at the beginning of the play?
4. What color is Dick Scott's mustache?
5. What does Mr. Mayo threaten to do to Andrew if he finds him still at home in the morning?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Ben quit his job as hired-hand?
2. What is Ruth reading when Robert comes in for dinner in Act 2, Scene 1?
3. When Andrew hears the news that Robert will die soon, how does he show his optimistic outlook about Robert's chances to get well?
4. How does Mrs. Mayo defend her son Robert from Mrs. Atkins' criticisms?
5. How does Ruth behave toward Robert when he comes in late for dinner?
6. How does Andrew react when Robert says it's too late for a cure and has a coughing fit?
7. What does Robert tell Ruth about why he is leaving?
8. What is the relationship between Andrew and Robert at the beginning of the play?
9. What reasons does Ruth give for wanting to talk with Robert alone at the fence the night before he is supposed to leave?
10. Describe the sitting room's appearance in Act 3.
Essay Topic 1
Describe the relationship between Ruth and Robert. What made her believe she loved him? What causes her to change her mind? Do you believe that Robert continued to care for Ruth right up to his death?
Essay Topic 2
What kind of person is Ruth? Do you think she had a difficult life? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the brothers' viewpoints about the sea voyage at the beginning of the play. Whose view is more practical? What do you think of Robert's reasons for going? Explain your viewpoint.
This section contains 1,291 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)