|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the woman from the missionary ask Dick Scott?
2. What is Andrew's job on the ship?
3. What is Ruth reading when Robert comes in and watches her without her knowing in Act 2?
4. What does Ben say is broken in Act 2, Scene 1?
5. What is one opportunity that Andrew says Robert will have by going on the sea voyage?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Ruth waiting up for in Act 3, Scene 1?
2. Describe the argument between Robert and Ruth in Act 2, Scene 1.
3. Describe Robert's death scene.
4. Describe how Andrew has changed since he went away on the voyage.
5. How does Andrew react when Robert says it's too late for a cure and has a coughing fit?
6. What does James Mayo say about Uncle Dick's comment that Andrew would be a better sea-faring man than Robert?
7. What are Ruth and Robert's reactions to the news that Andrew is sailing again the next morning on a ship for Argentina?
8. How does Andrew describe his feelings for Ruth as he and Robert sit on the hilltop discussing Andrew's travels?
9. When Robert dies, how do Andrew and Ruth react?
10. What does Robert tell his family when he returns from walking Ruth and her mother home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the role of sickness in this play. In what way is sickness believed to be passed from one character to another? How did Robert battle illness as a young child? Does he seem to resent others' view of him as having a poor constitution?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the brothers' viewpoints about the sea voyage at the beginning of the play. Whose view is more practical? What do you think of Robert's reasons for going? Explain your viewpoint.
Essay Topic 3
What is Mrs. Atkins' role in the play? Provide three examples of how Mrs. Atkins influences the lives of others.
This section contains 775 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)