|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of luck does Robert say he's been having?
2. What job does Mrs. Mayo at one time hold?
3. What does Andrew say is not part of Robert's nature when he is talking with him at the fence?
4. Who says "I feel--dead" at the end of Act I, Scene 2?
5. What is Robert late for in Act 2, Scene 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Robert tell his family when he returns from walking Ruth and her mother home?
2. What does Andrew tell Robert about his travels when he joins him on the hilltop?
3. Describe the country setting where Robert goes to die.
4. What is Ruth reading when Robert comes in for dinner in Act 2, Scene 1?
5. What does Ruth look like in Act 3, Scene 1?
6. Describe how Andrew has changed since he went away on the voyage.
7. Describe the sitting room's appearance in Act 3.
8. When Robert dies, how do Andrew and Ruth react?
9. Why does Andrew think it's a good idea for Robert to go on the sea voyage?
10. What is Andrew's reaction to Robert's announcement that he is in love with Ruth?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the brothers' viewpoints about the sea voyage at the beginning of the play. Whose view is more practical? What do you think of Robert's reasons for going? Explain your viewpoint.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the play, Andrew is held up as an example of a good farmer. Discuss the other character's view of him as the person who will turn the farm around. Does he succeed in fulfilling these expectations? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Dick Scott and his role in the play. How does he have a significant impact on Andrew, Robert, and Ruth's lives?
This section contains 674 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)