|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Andrew say from offstage at the end of Act 2, Scene 1?
2. Who says the hills around the farm feel like a prison?
3. What is Dick Scott's title?
4. What sound does Mary make in the bedroom while her parents are fighting?
5. What is Robert late for in Act 2, Scene 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ruth tell her mother about Robert's plan for their future when he gets well and can leave the farm?
2. Describe the country setting where Robert goes to die.
3. Why does Robert say that Andrew must not feel sorry that he is about to die?
4. What reasons does Ruth give for wanting to talk with Robert alone at the fence the night before he is supposed to leave?
5. How do Kate and James Mayo feel about Robert leaving on the voyage?
6. Describe Robert's plan for his and Ruth's future when he gets well.
7. Why is the true reason Andrew doesn't want to stay on the farm?
8. What does Ruth say when Andrew angrily asks her why they didn't let him know about Robert's deteriorating health?
9. Describe Robert's interests at the beginning of Act 1.
10. Describe the setting of Act 1, Scene 1.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what ways did Robert ignore his true calling? What were the consequences of this decision? Discuss using specific textual examples to support your viewpoint.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of suffering in this play. Who seems to have suffered the most? Use textual examples to support your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the role of sickness in this play. In what way is sickness believed to be passed from one character to another? How did Robert battle illness as a young child? Does he seem to resent others' view of him as having a poor constitution?
This section contains 766 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)