|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What charms Ruth about Robert's voice when he's telling the dreams of his childhood?
2. Who says to Robert "I didn't want to spoil this last night you're here?"
3. What kind of work does Andrew say he likes to do in Act 1, Scene 1?
4. Why does Ruth complain about her mother to Robert at the beginning of the play?
5. Who is joining the Mayo family for dinner at the beginning of the play?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the country setting where Robert goes to die.
2. What does Robert tell his family when he returns from walking Ruth and her mother home?
3. How does Mrs. Mayo defend her son Robert from Mrs. Atkins' criticisms?
4. What is the reason James tells Andrew to never return to the farm again?
5. Why does Robert want to leave the farm?
6. When Andrew hears the news that Robert will die soon, how does he show his optimistic outlook about Robert's chances to get well?
7. What does Robert say about Mary's death eight months before?
8. Describe Robert's death scene.
9. What does Ruth tell her mother about Robert's plan for their future when he gets well and can leave the farm?
10. What is Andrew's reaction to Robert's reasons for leaving on the voyage?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the literal and symbolic meaning of the title "Beyond the Horizon." What particular meaning does it have for Robert and Andrew?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Andrew's physical appearance and personality at the beginning of the play and contrast it with how he looks and behaves at the end of the play. What do you think caused these changes?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the relationship between Ruth and Robert. What made her believe she loved him? What causes her to change her mind? Do you believe that Robert continued to care for Ruth right up to his death?
This section contains 1,364 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)