|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Mayo say about Ruth and Andrew?
2. Who says "I feel--dead" at the end of Act I, Scene 2?
3. What does Mr. Mayo threaten to do to Andrew if he finds him still at home in the morning?
4. What is Dick Scott's title?
5. What does Robert gently pull away from Ruth's face when he's talking with her by the fence?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Robert tell his family when he returns from walking Ruth and her mother home?
2. How has Ruth changed after three years of being married?
3. What does Robert say that the doctor told him to do to be cured?
4. What does Robert tell Ruth about why he is leaving?
5. Describe the argument between Robert and Ruth in Act 2, Scene 1.
6. What story does Uncle Dick tell the family as they sit around the table?
7. What did Andrew discover about Argentina?
8. How does Robert respond when Andrew says he's planning to return to Argentina?
9. Describe how Andrew has changed since he went away on the voyage.
10. What does Robert say about Mary's death eight months before?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the relationship between Ruth and Robert. What made her believe she loved him? What causes her to change her mind? Do you believe that Robert continued to care for Ruth right up to his death?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the brothers' viewpoints about the sea voyage at the beginning of the play. Whose view is more practical? What do you think of Robert's reasons for going? Explain your viewpoint.
Essay Topic 3
Describe Andrew's perspective about telling lies. When does he tell lies in the play and why does he choose to do so? What are the consequences for him?
This section contains 777 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)