|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Dick Scott's title?
2. What does Mr. Mayo tell Dick Scott he needs to find for his voyage?
3. What does Mrs. Mayo say that Ruth acted like at dinner with the Mayo family and Uncle Dick?
4. What is Robert late for in Act 2, Scene 1?
5. What does Robert tell his father about the farm after he says he's not going on the voyage?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Robert's plan for his and Ruth's future when he gets well.
2. What are Ruth's intentions when she goes up to the hilltop?
3. What reasons does Ruth give for wanting to talk with Robert alone at the fence the night before he is supposed to leave?
4. What does Ruth say when Andrew angrily asks her why they didn't let him know about Robert's deteriorating health?
5. Is Mary sensitive to her parents emotional state on the hilltop?
6. What is Andrew's reaction to Robert's announcement that he is in love with Ruth?
7. What do Andrew and Ruth do when they find Robert on the side of the road?
8. What does Ruth tell her mother about Robert's plan for their future when he gets well and can leave the farm?
9. What does Robert tell his family when he returns from walking Ruth and her mother home?
10. What is the setting of Act 1, Scene 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Andrew's perspective about telling lies. When does he tell lies in the play and why does he choose to do so? What are the consequences for him?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the brothers' viewpoints about the sea voyage at the beginning of the play. Whose view is more practical? What do you think of Robert's reasons for going? Explain your viewpoint.
Essay Topic 3
Do you think it is fair that Ruth asks Robert to cancel his plans for the sea voyage and stay at home with her? In what ways does she manipulate him to make this decision? Explain using specific supporting examples.
This section contains 861 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)