|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Robert plan to do to keep the family afloat until harvest time?
2. What is his mother's reaction when Robert tells his family about him and Ruth?
3. What is Dick Scott's title?
4. What does Ruth say would happen to her if Robert leaves?
5. Who says Andrew is a born farmer while talking after dinner?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Andrew hears the news that Robert will die soon, how does he show his optimistic outlook about Robert's chances to get well?
2. What work is Andrew considered to be well suited for?
3. Why does Robert want to leave the farm?
4. What does Robert tell Ruth about why he is leaving?
5. What does Andrew tell Robert about his travels when he joins him on the hilltop?
6. How does Andrew try to make good on his promise to his brother to take care of Ruth?
7. Is Mary sensitive to her parents emotional state on the hilltop?
8. What is Andrew's response to Robert when he cries out that the situation is damnable?
9. What news does Uncle Dick bring Andrew when he climbs up to the hilltop?
10. What are Ruth and Robert's reactions to the news that Andrew is sailing again the next morning on a ship for Argentina?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Robert's disappointment in Andrew's lack of description about his sea voyages. What kind of details does Robert want to know about his travels? How does Andrew fail to provide that information?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the reasons that Andrew gives for going on the sea voyage. Why does he lie to his father? Do you think he regrets his lie? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
In what ways did Robert ignore his true calling? What were the consequences of this decision? Discuss using specific textual examples to support your viewpoint.
This section contains 814 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)