|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Robert late for in Act 2, Scene 1?
2. What is the relationship between Mrs. Mayo and Dick Scott?
3. Who says "I feel--dead" at the end of Act I, Scene 2?
4. Who does Ruth say she loves at the end of Act 2, Scene 1?
5. How old is Ruth?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ruth say when Andrew angrily asks her why they didn't let him know about Robert's deteriorating health?
2. What does Mrs. Atkins criticize Robert for as she sits at the table knitting with Mrs. Mayo?
3. What is Ruth reading when Robert comes in for dinner in Act 2, Scene 1?
4. What kind of plan does Andrew speak about to Ruth while the doctor is examining Robert?
5. What did Andrew discover about Argentina?
6. What news does Uncle Dick bring Andrew when he climbs up to the hilltop?
7. Why does Robert say that Andrew must not feel sorry that he is about to die?
8. Describe Robert's interests at the beginning of Act 1.
9. In Act 2, Scene 1, describe Robert's relationship with Mary.
10. Describe the country setting where Robert goes to die.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the relationship between Ruth and Robert. What made her believe she loved him? What causes her to change her mind? Do you believe that Robert continued to care for Ruth right up to his death?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Dick Scott and his role in the play. How does he have a significant impact on Andrew, Robert, and Ruth's lives?
Essay Topic 3
Describe two different settings in this play and discuss how they reflect a character's level of prosperity and emotional well-being.
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)