Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name that Robert's daughter calls him?
2. How does Mr. Mayo respond when Andrew says he wants to see the world?
3. Robert says Ruth is mean and:
4. What does Andrew say from offstage at the end of Act 2, Scene 1?
5. What is Ben's job?
Short Essay Questions
1. How has Ruth changed after three years of being married?
2. What did Andrew discover about Argentina?
3. Why does Robert say he wants to die while outside watching the sun rise?
4. Describe Robert's physical state at the beginning of Act 3.
5. When Andrew hears the news that Robert will die soon, how does he show his optimistic outlook about Robert's chances to get well?
6. How does Andrew react when Robert says it's too late for a cure and has a coughing fit?
7. Why is the true reason Andrew doesn't want to stay on the farm?
8. What does Robert say about Mary's death eight months before?
9. How does Ruth react to the news that Robert loves her?
10. What does Andrew promise Robert before he dies?
Discuss the theme of suffering in this play. Who seems to have suffered the most? Use textual examples to support your opinion.
Throughout the play, Andrew is held up as an example of a good farmer. Discuss the other character's view of him as the person who will turn the farm around. Does he succeed in fulfilling these expectations? Why or why not?
Describe Andrew's perspective about telling lies. When does he tell lies in the play and why does he choose to do so? What are the consequences for him?
This section contains 672 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)