|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Atkins use in order to move around?
2. Who has lost her fresh appearance at the beginning of Act 2?
3. Who says "I've earned my right to quit when I want to?"
4. What is the relationship between Mrs. Mayo and Dick Scott?
5. What does Andrew tell his parents about Robert's perspective on the sea voyage?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Robert want to leave the farm?
2. Describe Robert's physical state at the beginning of Act 3.
3. What is Ruth reading when Robert comes in for dinner in Act 2, Scene 1?
4. Describe the sitting room's appearance in Act 3.
5. What does Mrs. Atkins criticize Robert for as she sits at the table knitting with Mrs. Mayo?
6. Describe the setting of Act 1, Scene 1.
7. What story does Uncle Dick tell the family as they sit around the table?
8. What kind of plan does Andrew speak about to Ruth while the doctor is examining Robert?
9. What does Robert tell his family when he returns from walking Ruth and her mother home?
10. When Andrew hears the news that Robert will die soon, how does he show his optimistic outlook about Robert's chances to get well?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the reasons that Andrew gives for going on the sea voyage. Why does he lie to his father? Do you think he regrets his lie? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the relationship between Ruth and Robert. What made her believe she loved him? What causes her to change her mind? Do you believe that Robert continued to care for Ruth right up to his death?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the literal and symbolic meaning of the title "Beyond the Horizon." What particular meaning does it have for Robert and Andrew?
This section contains 1,249 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)