|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Andrew check on after dinner when he leaves the sitting room?
2. Who says "I feel--dead" at the end of Act I, Scene 2?
3. What is the name that Robert's daughter calls him?
4. Who is Andrew?
5. Who says that Ruth came to her for advice about managing the farm?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Andrew's reaction to Robert's reasons for leaving on the voyage?
2. Why does Robert want to leave the farm?
3. How does Andrew react when Robert says it's too late for a cure and has a coughing fit?
4. What does Ruth say when Andrew angrily asks her why they didn't let him know about Robert's deteriorating health?
5. What do Andrew and Ruth do when they find Robert on the side of the road?
6. Why does Ben quit his job as hired-hand?
7. Describe Robert's death scene.
8. How does Andrew describe his feelings for Ruth as he and Robert sit on the hilltop discussing Andrew's travels?
9. What is Andrew's response to Robert when he cries out that the situation is damnable?
10. Describe Robert's physical state at the beginning of Act 3.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What kind of person is Ruth? Do you think she had a difficult life? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
In what way is the sun used to symbolize hope? Discuss Robert's need to see the sun before he dies. Why is it important to him?
Essay Topic 3
Describe two different settings in this play and discuss how they reflect a character's level of prosperity and emotional well-being.
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)