|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Andrew say from offstage at the end of Act 2, Scene 1?
2. What does Ruth say would happen to her if Robert leaves?
3. Who says Andrew is a born farmer while talking after dinner?
4. What sound does Mary make in the bedroom while her parents are fighting?
5. Who is joining the Mayo family for dinner at the beginning of the play?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of plan does Andrew speak about to Ruth while the doctor is examining Robert?
2. What are Ruth and Robert's reactions to the news that Andrew is sailing again the next morning on a ship for Argentina?
3. What does Ruth tell her mother about Robert's plan for their future when he gets well and can leave the farm?
4. What does Mrs. Atkins say is wrong with Mary when she hears her crying?
5. What does Robert say about Mary's death eight months before?
6. What does Kate say she thinks is going on between Ruth and Robert?
7. Describe the argument between Robert and Ruth in Act 2, Scene 1.
8. What does Andrew tell Robert about his travels when he joins him on the hilltop?
9. Describe Robert's interests at the beginning of Act 1.
10. Describe how Andrew has changed since he went away on the voyage.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is Mrs. Atkins' role in the play? Provide three examples of how Mrs. Atkins influences the lives of others.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Andrew's perspective about telling lies. When does he tell lies in the play and why does he choose to do so? What are the consequences for him?
Essay Topic 3
What is Robert's relationship with his daughter Mary? Do you agree or disagree that he seems to be a better parent than Ruth? Explain your viewpoint using specific textual examples.
This section contains 1,316 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)