|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Page 76 through 112..
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Ilona initially react to seeing Hofmiller in the street after he does not appear for dinner as has become his custom?
(a) She ignores him and begins to flirt with his friends.
(b) She is delighted to see him and greets him warmly and affectionately.
(c) She says she's in a hurry and tries to rush away from him.
(d) She asks him to take her out for a drink.
2. How does Dr. Condor describe Kekesfalva's background?
(a) He grew up in a German orphanage.
(b) He grew up as a poor Jew named Leopold Kanitz.
(c) He was born into a family with royal connections.
(d) He was the only child of wealthy parents.
3. The night after his friends tease him about his relationship with Kekesfalva and his family, Hofmiller does not go to the castle. How does he feel about his decision to stay away?
(a) He enjoys having a night away from the family and decides to visit them less often in the future.
(b) He worries constantly and realizes that he can't just turn his emotions off and on.
(c) He thoroughly enjoys playing cards with his friends and realizes it was the right decision not to go.
(d) After a couple of hours, he changes his mind and goes to visit the family.
4. How does Edith find out that Hofmiller had been playing cards rather than inspecting a horse when he failed to show up at the castle?
(a) She sends her chauffeur to find out where he is.
(b) She asks his commanding officer and he tells her the truth.
(c) Her father calls his barracks and someone tells him where Hofmiller is.
(d) Hofmiller admits it to her.
5. From whom did Kekesfalva learn to read and write?
(a) He learned at boarding school.
(b) His parents taught him.
(c) He was taught by a rabbi.
(d) An older brother taught him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Hofmiller so confused by the range of emotions Edith and her family brings forth in him?
2. Why was Kekesfalva so abrupt with Dietzenhof when he first arrived at the house?
3. Why does Edith keep secret pictures of dancers?
4. When Hofmiller is training with his men the morning following his tea with Edith, why does he order them to stop galloping and trot their horses?
5. Hofmiller shows his friends a gift that Kekesfalva gave him. What is the item?
This section contains 553 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)