|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Page 223 through 273..
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Hofmiller respond when Edith says her father can pay for his trip?
(a) He is excited because he wants very much to go.
(b) He becomes angry and says he refuses to be kept.
(c) He is grateful and thanks her profusely.
(d) He is skeptical and says she needs to talk to her father about it first.
2. How does Ilona initially react to seeing Hofmiller in the street after he does not appear for dinner as has become his custom?
(a) She says she's in a hurry and tries to rush away from him.
(b) She asks him to take her out for a drink.
(c) She is delighted to see him and greets him warmly and affectionately.
(d) She ignores him and begins to flirt with his friends.
3. Sitting in the café alone after buying Dietzenhof's property, how did Kekesfalva decide to handle his guilt over tricking her?
(a) He decided that guilt is a useless emotion and refused to let it consume him.
(b) He decided he'd give her the opportunity to take it back.
(c) He decided to sell it immediately and give her half the money.
(d) He decided to go to church and make a confession.
4. When Hofmiller imagines Edith cured of her disability, what does he picture her doing?
(a) Dancing and going for long walks beside the river.
(b) Walking down the aisle at her wedding.
(c) Running happily through fields of flowers.
(d) Galloping on horseback and greeting him at the door when he arrives to visit.
5. What aspect of Hofmiller's background makes him especially grateful for the warm welcome he continues to receive at the Kekesfalva's home?
(a) He has been brought up in military institutions, so he loves the homey feeling of their house and family.
(b) He has been raised in an orphanage, so he begins to think of Kekesfalva as a father figure.
(c) His parents are servants of a wealthy family, so he likes turning the tables by having servants wait on him.
(d) He has been brought up in a wealthy home, so he feels comfortable and at ease with the family's wealth.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Dr. Condor perceive that Edith's attitude seems to have changed?
2. After they are alone following dinner at the castle, what does Dr. Condor tell Hofmiller he finds frustrating about Kekesfalva?
3. Why is Hofmiller uncomfortable when he first arrives at the dinner party?
4. After leaving the military, what did Balinkay do?
5. What did Dietzenhof eventually tell Kekesfalva she wanted to do with her estate?
This section contains 570 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)