|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Page 223 through 273..
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Hofmiller react when he sees Ilona in the street after taking a night away from the family to play cards with his friends?
(a) He is excited about the opportunity to introduce her to his friends.
(b) He is thrilled to see her on his own turf and asks her to go for a walk or to the patisserie.
(c) He seems embarrassed and tries to avoid her.
(d) He is upset that she has apparently left Edith alone.
2. Although Hofmiller is torn about whether or not he wants to continue seeing Edith and her family, what precipitates his decision to return to their home?
(a) His commanding officer orders him to go.
(b) He makes a date with Ilona and goes to the house to pick her up.
(c) He receives another dinner invitation and is told that the group will include an official from the War Ministry.
(d) He is walking past the house and Kekesfalva sees him and invites him to come in.
3. What does Hofmiller think to himself about his decision not to gallop the horses?
(a) He realizes that it is foolish to deny oneself a pleasure just because someone else could not enjoy it.
(b) He is afraid he'll get into trouble with his superiors for going too slowly.
(c) He worries that his men aren't being properly trained.
(d) He feels proud of himself for showing such a degree of respect for Edith.
4. What does Hofmiller do after Ilona explains the reason Edith became so upset at the dinner party?
(a) He explains the situation to the other guests.
(b) He explains his actions to Kekesfalva.
(c) He asks Ilona to dance.
(d) He leaves immediately.
5. How did Dietzenhof change after marrying Kekesfalva?
(a) She resented Kekesfalva because he treated her so poorly.
(b) She blossomed and even developed physical beauty.
(c) She became resentful about being tricked into sharing her wealth.
(d) She became bitter and cruel.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Ilona say she has encouraged Edith's feelings for Hofmiller?
2. Is Dr. Condor actively pursuing a cure for Edith?
3. When Hofmiller realizes that Edith is in love with him, who does he blame?
4. What does Edith give the gypsy?
5. How did Dietzenhof respond when Kekesfalva told her that she could probably get about 150,000 crowns for the estate?
This section contains 541 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)