|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Page 76 through 112..
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Hofmiller fill about Edith and Ilona after spending a few evenings in their company?
(a) He cares for them as if they are his sisters.
(b) He admires Kekesfalva, but doesn't like either of the women.
(c) He is in love with Ilona.
(d) He is in love with Edith.
2. When Hofmiller is training with his men the morning following his tea with Edith, why does he order them to stop galloping and trot their horses?
(a) He feels ashamed because he and his men can gallop freely while Edith cannot enjoy such pleasures.
(b) The terrain is too hilly for galloping.
(c) He thinks his men aren't skilled enough to gallop.
(d) He wants to make less noise.
3. What does Dr. Condor tell Hofmiller is his chief concern about the Kekesfalva family?
(a) He is worried about Kekesfalva's deteriorating health.
(b) He is concerned that Edith spends too much time alone.
(c) He thinks Edith is getting worse and soon will be confined to a wheelchair.
(d) He thinks Ilona isn't a good influence on Edith.
4. What initially interested Kekesfalva about the estate Dietzenhof had inherited?
(a) He knew the estate contained some valuable art and wanted to see if he could buy it cheaply.
(b) He'd grown up near the castle and wanted to see the inside.
(c) He hoped to buy the castle from Dietzenhof.
(d) He owned an auction house and wanted to see if Dietzenhof needed his services.
5. What is Hofmiller's first impression of Dr. Condor?
(a) He's more impressed than he anticipated being.
(b) He's amused because the doctor bears a striking resemblance to his commanding officer.
(c) He's disappointed because the doctor looks and behaves nothing like what he'd pictured.
(d) He's intimidated by the doctor's tall, imposing presence.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the main character, Hofmiller, say his story began?
2. After angrily confronting Hofmiller about lying to her, what does Edith tell him about continuing to visit the family?
3. While riding a train one night, Kekesfalva overheard a conversation about Princess Orosvar. What had her lifestyle been like during the last years of her life?
4. Why does Hofmiller hesitate when Kekesfalva insists that his driver take Hofmiller home on a rainy night?
5. What does Hofmiller do after Ilona explains the reason Edith became so upset at the dinner party?
This section contains 598 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)