|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Page 182 through 223..
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Dr. Condor tell Hofmiller the details about Kekesfalva's past?
(a) It makes him feel important to have so much private information to share with Hofmiller.
(b) Kekesfalva asked him to fill Hofmiller in on his background.
(c) He enjoys gossip and thinks Hofmiller might like it also.
(d) He wants Hofmiller to understand Kekesfalva better and not believe any gossip he might hear from others.
2. Why does Kekesfalva ask Hofmiller to be present when Dr. Condor comes to the castle and speak to him about Edith's condition?
(a) Kekesfalva isn't sure Dr. Condor is being completely honest with him about Edith's condition and chances for improvement.
(b) Kekesfalva wants Dr. Condor to give up his other patients and devote all his time to Edith, and he wants Hofmiller to ask how much he'd expect to be paid to do that.
(c) Hofmiller tells Kekesfalva he is experiencing severe back pain and Kekesfalva thinks Dr. Condor might be able to help.
(d) Kekesfalva wants to fire Dr. Condor from Edith's case but wants to avoid confronting him, so he asks Hofmiller to do it.
3. What book does Hofmiller read?
(a) The Arabian Nights.
(b) Grimm's Fairy Tales.
(c) The Bible.
(d) A Tale of Two Cities.
4. What does Hofmiller learn about the extent of Edith's despair at the idea that she might never be well?
(a) She blames her father for her condition.
(b) She has lost her faith in God.
(c) She once tried to kill Dr. Condor in a fit of rage.
(d) She has attempted suicide in the past.
5. Why does Hofmiller continue exaggerating about the new treatment's promise?
(a) He finds the fact that Kekesfalva is hanging on his every word intoxicating.
(b) He hopes that he'll benefit financially if he finds a cure for Edith.
(c) He has been diagnosed as a compulsive liar.
(d) Dr. Condor asked him to make the treatment sound more promising than it actually is.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens at the second dinner that makes Hofmiller feel especially happy and powerful?
2. After angrily confronting Hofmiller about lying to her, what does Edith tell him about continuing to visit the family?
3. What does Hofmiller do when he arrives at the castle and finds Edith sleeping on the terrace?
4. What does Dr. Condor tell Hofmiller about the contraptions and treatments he has been providing for Edith?
5. Why is Hofmiller so confused by the range of emotions Edith and her family brings forth in him?
This section contains 651 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)