|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Page 182 through 223..
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Ilona say she has encouraged Edith's feelings for Hofmiller?
(a) She thought he'd grow to love her eventually.
(b) She did not want to crush Edith's hopes.
(c) She thought he was secretly in love with her also.
(d) She thought it would be amusing to see what happened.
2. Why does Hofmiller continue exaggerating about the new treatment's promise?
(a) Dr. Condor asked him to make the treatment sound more promising than it actually is.
(b) He has been diagnosed as a compulsive liar.
(c) He hopes that he'll benefit financially if he finds a cure for Edith.
(d) He finds the fact that Kekesfalva is hanging on his every word intoxicating.
3. What does Hofmiller learn about the extent of Edith's despair at the idea that she might never be well?
(a) She blames her father for her condition.
(b) She once tried to kill Dr. Condor in a fit of rage.
(c) She has attempted suicide in the past.
(d) She has lost her faith in God.
4. Why does Dr. Condor tell Hofmiller the details about Kekesfalva's past?
(a) Kekesfalva asked him to fill Hofmiller in on his background.
(b) It makes him feel important to have so much private information to share with Hofmiller.
(c) He wants Hofmiller to understand Kekesfalva better and not believe any gossip he might hear from others.
(d) He enjoys gossip and thinks Hofmiller might like it also.
5. What book does Hofmiller read?
(a) Grimm's Fairy Tales.
(b) The Arabian Nights.
(c) A Tale of Two Cities.
(d) The Bible.
Short Answer Questions
1. The morning following the sale of the property, what surprising move did Kekesfalva make when he went to Dietzenhof's hotel?
2. Why is Hofmiller so confused by the range of emotions Edith and her family brings forth in him?
3. How does Dr. Condor respond when Hofmiller asks if Edith's condition is curable?
4. How does Hofmiller respond when Edith says her father can pay for his trip?
5. How much was Dietzenhof's estate actually worth?
This section contains 530 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)