|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many years pass before the author decided to travel overseas with the mother of his son?
2. Why did the author feel it was unnecessary to forgive the man who killed Prince Jones?
(a) The man needed to forgive himself.
(b) He was dead.
(c) Forgiveness does not bring back the dead.
(d) He was merely expressing America's beliefs about black men.
3. According to the author, "In America, it is traditional to destroy the _____" what?
(d) Black body.
4. To where did the mother of the author's son travel when she turned 30?
(c) Los Angeles.
5. What does the author witness while researching a story on the history of segregation in Chicago?
(a) A black family being evicted from their home.
(b) A bank robbery.
(c) A drive-by shooting.
(d) A gang-related shooting.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the dead boy's mother say to the author's son in the chapter "The Dream"?
2. What regret does the author have about the incident with his son and the escalator?
3. What comparison does the author make between the police officer who shot Prince Jones and the ones who died on September 11?
4. According to the author, what has his son never feared?
5. How did the man who was evicted from his home react to the presence of the police?
Short Essay Questions
1. What lesson does the mother of the boy on page 112 (Lucia McBath) try to impart to the author's son?
2. According to the author, how does the fear of losing one's life promote violence?
3. What reasons does the author give for the anger of the man who was having his home repossessed?
4. According to the author, how is racism experienced through city planning and real estate?
5. Why does the author worry that others will tell his son that the lessons he is trying to teach are an unnecessary part of the past?
6. What reasons does the author give for the woman feeling validated in pushing his son off the escalator?
7. According to Coats, how have the American legal system and the banking industry conspired together to create the illusion known as "The Dream"?
8. How is the author disappointed by the lack of education during his Civil War battlefield tour?
9. What impact does the death of Prince Jones have on the author?
10. Why did the thought of encountering the Prince George's County patrol officer frighten the author?
This section contains 1,294 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)