|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whom did the author shove when his son was pushed off the escalator?
(a) A mall security guard.
(b) No one.
(c) A man who came to the woman's defense.
(d) A police officer.
2. How was the officer who killed Prince Jones dressed?
(a) In a patrol uniform.
(b) As a homeless man.
(c) As an undercover drug dealer.
(d) In plain clothes.
3. What happened when the author was stopped by a PG County officer?
(a) He was beaten and handcuffed.
(b) He was taken to jail.
(c) He was shot.
(d) He was detained, then sent on his way without explanation.
4. Whose last worlds were "This stops today!"
(a) Prince Jones.
(b) Malcolm X.
(c) Trayvon Martin.
(d) Eric Garner.
5. According to the author, what part of his body has suffered the most?
(a) His head.
(b) His eyes.
(c) His feet.
(d) His heart.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did the author feel it was unnecessary to forgive the man who killed Prince Jones?
2. What did the dead boy's mother say to the author's son in the chapter "The Dream"?
3. According to the author, what is the problem with defining a race?
4. How did the death of Prince Jones affect the author emotionally?
5. What regret does the author have about the friend he made in France?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author contrast black and white societies?
2. How, does Coats write, have his eyes been damaged by what he has seen?
3. Why is the author's fear of his son seeing him arrested greater than his fear of being arrested?
4. How did the author's trip to Paris affect his view of what it means to live in a black body?
5. Why is the author angry and frustrated at the outcome of the investigation of the undercover cop who shot Prince Jones?
6. What impact does the death of Prince Jones have on the author?
7. What reasons does the author give for the anger of the man who was having his home repossessed?
8. According to the author, how is racism experienced through city planning and real estate?
9. What is the significance of the author's description of the slave burial plot in southern Manhattan?
10. What does the author mean by every country having an "above" and a "below"?
This section contains 1,401 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)