|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whom did the girl with the long dreads love?
(a) Malcom X.
(b) Prince Jones.
(c) The Author.
(d) Maya Angelou.
2. At what age does the author remember witnessing his first street fight?
3. According to the author, what is the purpose of defining races of people?
(a) To identify people groups.
(b) To form a hierarchy in society.
(c) To instill a sense of cultural pride.
(d) To define culture.
4. Who is the Tolstoy of the Zulus, according to Coats?
5. How does the author describe Malcolm X?
(a) Rebellious, irrational, and impulsive.
(b) Strong, ethical, and powerful.
(c) Controlled, intelligent, and beyond fear.
(d) Fierce, violent, and wild.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the "one-drop" rule?
2. How did the author and his friends illegally obtain alcohol when they were underage?
3. What is "The Mecca" that the author describes to his son?
4. What acclaimed history book did Chancellor William write?
5. Which writer inspired the author as a young man?
Short Essay Questions
1. What revelation does the author have about the European perception of Africans during the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries?
2. What role did violence play in the author's childhood?
3. According to the author, how have American police departments been given the right to destroy black bodies without the fear of recrimination?
4. According to the author, how has the lack of fathers and father-figures affected black children?
5. How important were books to the author as he was growing up?
6. What conflicting thoughts does the author have about the civil rights movement of the 1960s?
7. What is the symbolism behind the author's son's name?
8. What role did religion play in the author's childhood?
9. What assumptions does the author make about PG County (Prince George's County) police officers and why?
10. How did fear shape the author's childhood?
This section contains 1,103 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)