|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What acclaimed history book did Chancellor William write?
(a) I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings.
(b) Notes of a Native Son.
(c) By Any Means Necessary.
(d) Destruction of Black Civilization.
2. Why does the author feel the interview at the beginning of his memoir was a failure?
(a) The interviewer discussed hope for racial peace and equality.
(b) He was insulted by a caller to the radio station.
(c) No one would comment on his new book.
(d) The interview was cut short.
3. What has been the prevalent emotion in the author's life?
4. Coats quotes that sixty percent of all young black men who drop out of high school will:
(a) Die before the age of 25.
(b) End up homeless.
(c) Join the military.
(d) Go to jail.
5. How does the author describe the classroom?
(a) An open, unending forum of ideas.
(b) A palace of thought.
(c) A jail of other people's interests.
(d) The road to freedom.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does the author describe as his "wedding ring"?
2. Who said, "Either I can beat him, or the police"?
3. How did the author's father react when another boy stole something from the author?
4. What is "the Yard"?
5. What is PG County?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to the author, what is the purpose of the public school system?
2. How does the author compare his childhood to that of his son?
3. What is the author's interpretation of "The Dream"?
4. What does the author mean when he says the school system and the streets are "two arms of the same beast"?
5. Why didn't the author console his son when Samori grieved over the release of Michael Brown's killer?
6. What is the symbolism behind the author's son's name?
7. How does research and study affect the author as a young man?
8. What role did violence play in the author's childhood?
9. What is meant by "Tolstoy is the Tolstoy of the Zulus?"
10. What influence did Malcom X have on the author as a young man?
This section contains 1,166 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)