|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the author's mother urge him to do when he was in trouble at school?
2. What realization did the author make about death in the sixth grade?
(a) Death does not wait.
(b) Death is inevitable.
(c) Death chases after the living.
(d) Death can occur without warning.
3. How did the author spend most of his time at The Mecca?
(a) Arguing politics on the Lawn.
(b) Absorbing culture and music.
(c) Listening to and writing poetry.
(d) Reading and taking notes on black literature and essays.
4. What hobby did the author pursue while at Howard University?
5. According to the author, upon what has America's progress been built?
(b) Hard work.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the author, it is important that whether one wins or loses the fight, who should be by your side?
2. Whom does the author describe as his "wedding ring"?
3. According to the author, how does racism affect the body?
4. Where is Howard University located?
5. What poet inspired the author while at Howard University?
Short Essay Questions
1. What conflicting thoughts does the author have about the civil rights movement of the 1960s?
2. How does the author use poetry to express his thoughts?
3. How does the author define the word "black"?
4. What revelation does the author have about the European perception of Africans during the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries?
5. What is the symbolism behind the author's son's name?
6. For what reasons did the author's father punish him and why?
7. What is meant by "Tolstoy is the Tolstoy of the Zulus?"
8. How did fear shape the author's childhood?
9. According to the author, how has the lack of fathers and father-figures affected black children?
10. Why did the author's son experience such extreme grief when Michael Brown's killer was set free?
This section contains 1,150 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)