|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the author, how is racism experienced through real estate?
(a) Certain realtors refuse to work with black families.
(b) Neighborhood covenants prohibit black families from buying in certain areas.
(c) Buyers are purposefully steered towards certain neighborhoods.
(d) Property values are intentionally spiked in traditionally white neighborhoods.
2. Who was Abraham Brian?
(a) A slave who led the underground railroad.
(b) A white congressman who lobbied for the rights of free black men.
(c) A free black man who left his home to escape the threat of slavery.
(d) A black soldier for the Confederacy.
3. According to Solzhenitsyn, "To do evil a human being must first of all believe that what he's doing is _____ " what?
4. How was the officer who killed Prince Jones dressed?
(a) In plain clothes.
(b) In a patrol uniform.
(c) As a homeless man.
(d) As an undercover drug dealer.
5. According to the author, some black people justify the destruction of black bodies for the sake of:
(b) Keeping the police away.
(c) Preservation of order.
(d) Controlling the population.
6. Why was the author ashamed of his thoughts as he took his four-year-old son to preschool?
(a) He was jealous of the advantages he was providing for his son.
(b) He did not want his son in a multicultural classroom.
(c) He was angry that the teachers were white.
(d) He was afraid for his son's safety among all the strange children.
7. What Civil War battlefield did the author visit with his son and nephew?
(a) Elkin's Ferry.
(b) Pea Ridge.
(c) Petersburg Battlefield.
(d) Prairie Grove.
8. What does the author imagine white parents might tell their children?
(a) Take twice as much.
(b) Be twice as nice.
(c) Be twice as fearful.
(d) Be twice as successful.
9. According to the author, what part of his body has suffered the most?
(a) His eyes.
(b) His heart.
(c) His head.
(d) His feet.
10. Why does the author believe Prince Jones was willing to die?
(a) For the cause of black power.
(b) For the greater good of man.
(c) Because he believed in God.
(d) In order to protect his family.
11. According to the author, this son has been cast into "a race in which the wind is always at your face and _____" what?
(a) Ffire is at your feet.
(b) The hounds are always at your heels.
(c) A knife is always at your back.
(d) You will always be running headfirst into it.
12. What concern does the author have about the lessons he is trying to teach his son?
(a) That others will make fun of his son.
(b) That his son will be embarrassed by him.
(c) That his son will grow bitter and cynical.
(d) That others will tell his son it is an unnecessary part of the past.
13. Where was the memorial service for Prince Jones held?
(a) Howard University.
(b) Arlington Cemetery.
(c) Harvard University.
(d) The White House.
14. What did the author notice about white children in Manhattan?
(a) They were fearless.
(b) They clung to their parents.
(c) They were hungry.
(d) There were very few of them.
15. What did the author notice as he walked the streets of Paris for the first time?
(a) Everyone was smiling.
(b) Everyone was ignoring him.
(c) He was not afraid.
(d) There was an odd odor.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the author, how much was the slave population worth at the start of the Civil War?
2. Why was the author's son pushed off the escalator?
3. From what does the author draw joy?
4. Whom did the author shove when his son was pushed off the escalator?
5. How did the death of Prince Jones affect the author emotionally?
This section contains 638 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)