|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What advantages has the author's son had growing up?
(a) Wealth and private schools.
(b) Less racism, the Internet and a world culture.
(c) A black president, social networks, omnipresent media and black culture.
(d) A safer neighborhood, better schools and more freedom.
2. What sorts of toys was the author not allowed to have as a child?
(a) Anything that was non-educational.
(b) Anything made by Disney.
(c) Those with white faces.
(d) Those that used batteries.
3. According to the author, how does racism affect the body?
(a) The soul is made weak.
(b) Violence eventually damages the body.
(c) Metal distress creates mental discord.
(d) Stress causes early aging.
4. What has been the prevalent emotion in the author's life?
5. How old was the author when his son was born?
6. What is "the Yard"?
(a) A club in downtown Atlanta.
(b) A communal green space at Howard University when students gather.
(c) A strip of green grass near the White House where protesters gather.
(d) An area near the docks in Virginia where students gather.
7. What realization does the author have about his university education?
(a) It was a pointless as his public school education.
(b) It was designed to break down myths and reveal the truth about humanity.
(c) It was going to provide him with the skills to be a great writer.
(d) He was never going to learn everything he needed to know.
8. At what age does the author remember witnessing his first street fight?
9. To whom is the memoir addressed?
(a) Black Americans.
(b) The author's son.
(c) White Americans.
(d) All Americans.
10. What type of work did the author's father do?
(a) Custodian for Baltimore public schools.
(b) Police officer for Baltimore City.
(c) Freelance writer and journalist.
(d) Research librarian at Howard University.
11. How did the author's father react when another boy stole something from the author?
(a) His father called the police.
(b) His father confronted the thief.
(c) His father beat him.
(d) His father confronted the thief's grandfather.
12. What hobby did the author pursue while at Howard University?
13. Coats quotes that sixty percent of all young black men who drop out of high school will:
(a) Join the military.
(b) End up homeless.
(c) Die before the age of 25.
(d) Go to jail.
14. Coats explains that the young men who walk the streets of Baltimore loud and rude do so because:
(a) They are uncultured and wild.
(b) It is their way of being friendly.
(c) They are uneducated and don't know any better.
(d) It gives them a sense of security and power.
15. Where does the author begin his memoir?
(a) During an interview.
(b) In a bar.
(c) During a riot.
(d) At an auction.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did the author meet the mother of his son?
2. How are racism and race linked?
3. Where is Howard University located?
4. According to the author, what is the purpose of defining races of people?
5. What is "The Mecca" that the author describes to his son?
This section contains 548 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)