|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Self-Awareness (pages 88-108).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As a child, what baffled the author about the nonviolent protests of the civil rights moment?
(a) Kids should not see violent television.
(b) He felt the police should have helped more.
(c) He had been raised in a violent society.
(d) Violence is illegal.
2. According to the author, America believes itself to be:
3. To where did the author move to in 2001?
(a) New York.
(c) Los Angeles.
4. According to senator John C. Calhoun, "The two great divisions of society are not the rich and the poor, but _____" what?
(a) Male and female.
(b) Educated and uneducated.
(c) Wise and foolish.
(d) White and black.
5. For whom was the author's son named?
(a) Robert Hayden.
(b) Samori Touré.
(c) Malcom X.
(d) Martin Luther King.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the author, when Lincoln spoke of the "government of the people," to whom was he addressing?
2. What important skills did the author's mother teach him?
3. What regret does the author have about the incident with his son and the escalator?
4. What acclaimed history book did Chancellor William write?
5. What essential question does the author pose in his memoir?
This section contains 278 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)