|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through A Rose By Any Other Name (pages 47-71).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is "the Yard"?
(a) A strip of green grass near the White House where protesters gather.
(b) A communal green space at Howard University when students gather.
(c) A club in downtown Atlanta.
(d) An area near the docks in Virginia where students gather.
2. Who were the first white people the author knew on a personal level?
(a) Religious zealots.
(b) His editors.
3. What is the "one-drop" rule?
(a) One drop of violence ruins a peaceful gathering.
(b) Having one black parent (or ancestor) makes a person black.
(c) One drop of liquor makes an alcoholic.
(d) Having one white parent (or ancestor) entitles a person to be white.
4. What is "The Mecca" that the author describes to his son?
(a) His poetry notebook.
(b) His father's collection of books.
(c) His mother's collection of vintage vinyl.
(d) The culture of the student body at Howard University.
5. What is PG County?
(a) Price Goldwin County, MA.
(b) A poet from Long Island.
(c) Princeton-Gordon County, Washington, DC.
(d) Prince George's County, MD.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the author describe his experience in the Baltimore public schools?
2. To whom is the memoir addressed?
3. Where did the author meet the mother of his son?
4. What view does the author have of the afterlife?
5. As a child, what baffled the author about the nonviolent protests of the civil rights moment?
This section contains 279 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)