|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through A Rose By Any Other Name (pages 47-71).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did the author's father discipline him?
(a) By taking his phone.
(b) With a belt.
(c) In time-out.
(d) By slapping his face.
2. How did the author and his friends illegally obtain alcohol when they were underage?
(a) They would steal it from the liquor store.
(b) There were men of legal drinking age who would purchase it for them for a fee.
(c) They would make corn liquor at home in the bathtub.
(d) They would steal it from their parents.
3. How did the author's father react when another boy stole something from the author?
(a) His father beat him.
(b) His father called the police.
(c) His father confronted the thief's grandfather.
(d) His father confronted the thief.
4. According to the author, slavery transfigured black bodies into:
(a) Hollow shells of former men.
(b) Sugar, tobacco, cotton and gold.
(c) Beasts of burden.
5. Coats quotes that sixty percent of all young black men who drop out of high school will:
(a) Go to jail.
(b) Join the military.
(c) Die before the age of 25.
(d) End up homeless.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the author learn from television as a young boy?
2. Whom did the girl with the long dreads love?
3. How old was the author when his son was born?
4. What is "the Yard"?
5. To whom is the memoir addressed?
This section contains 286 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)