|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Growing Up Black (pages 21-47).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What important skills did the author's mother teach him?
(a) How to pray.
(b) How to stretch a dollar.
(c) How to cook and clean his clothes.
(d) How to read and write.
2. How did the author's father react when the author threatened his 9th grade teacher?
(a) His father called the police.
(b) His father confronted the principal.
(c) His father beat him.
(d) His father confronted the teacher.
3. What is "The Mecca" that the author describes to his son?
(a) His mother's collection of vintage vinyl.
(b) His poetry notebook.
(c) The culture of the student body at Howard University.
(d) His father's collection of books.
4. What advantages has the author's son had growing up?
(a) A safer neighborhood, better schools and more freedom.
(b) Less racism, the Internet and a world culture.
(c) A black president, social networks, omnipresent media and black culture.
(d) Wealth and private schools.
5. Which writer inspired the author as a young man?
(a) Malcolm X.
(b) Maya Angelou.
(c) Alex Haley.
(d) James Baldwin.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the author, who controls the streets of Baltimore?
2. What did the author find unique about Howard University?
3. According to the author, how does racism affect the body?
4. How did the author's father discipline him?
5. How did the author's father react when another boy stole something from the author?
This section contains 297 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)