|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Dream (pages 108-132).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the author notice as he walked the streets of Paris for the first time?
(a) Everyone was smiling.
(b) He was not afraid.
(c) There was an odd odor.
(d) Everyone was ignoring him.
2. Why did the author want to return to Paris with his son?
(a) He wanted to send his son to a French school.
(b) He wanted to become a French citizen.
(c) He wanted his son to learn French.
(d) He wanted his son to experience life without fear.
3. When the author sees a police officer, he automatically thinks:
(a) Something is wrong.
(b) He is not at fault.
(c) Someone is trying to protect him.
4. How are racism and race linked?
(a) People don't like what they don't understand.
(b) They are both unfair.
(c) Categorizing people groups inevitably causes a power struggle.
(d) They are not linked.
5. Why does the author apologize to his son?
(a) For speaking so negatively about the world.
(b) For rambling on about the past.
(c) For being unable to save him from the reality of racism and violence in the world.
(d) For not providing him with a better education.
Short Answer Questions
1. What realization did the author make about death in the sixth grade?
2. How did the author react to his son being pushed off the escalator?
3. What does the author witness while researching a story on the history of segregation in Chicago?
4. According to the author, what do many of his black contemporaries have in common?
5. What difference does the author see between his childhood and that of his son?
This section contains 376 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)