|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Dream (pages 108-132).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What 1986 event helped solidify the author's view that violence is inevitable?
(a) His father was shot.
(b) He fired his first weapon.
(c) His mother iwa mugged.
(d) A teenage boy pulled a gun.
2. According to the author, what do many of his black contemporaries have in common?
(a) They are searching for a better future.
(b) They are unhappy with their lives.
(c) They have never known their fathers.
(d) They are proud of their heritage.
3. How old is the author's son at the time the memoir is written?
4. Where does the author begin his memoir?
(a) In a bar.
(b) At an auction.
(c) During an interview.
(d) During a riot.
5. What is "The Dream" that Coats refers to?
(a) Principles set out by the Declaration of Independence.
(b) Hope for the future.
(c) The ability of every person to achieve their personal goals.
(d) The misconception that all Americans, regardless of race, can achieve success.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did the author feel it was unnecessary to forgive the man who killed Prince Jones?
2. What does the author describe as the "enemy of art, courageous thinking and honest writing"?
3. What did the author learn from television as a young boy?
4. What threats were made against the author when his son was pushed off the escalator?
5. According to the author, who controls the streets of Baltimore?
This section contains 297 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)