|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Mrs. Manresa welcomed?
(a) She adds energy to the occasion.
(b) She has powerful relations.
(c) She doesn't cause much trouble.
(d) She is very wealthy.
2. How does Isa feel about Mr. Haines?
(a) Isa thinks Mr. Haines is witty.
(b) Isa thinks Mr. Haines is a brute.
(c) Isa is annoyed by Mr. Haines.
(d) Isa is attracted to Mr. Haines.
3. What superstitious notion does Mrs. Swithin wonder about?
(a) Knocking on wood.
(b) Saying 'rabbits' on the first day of the month.
(c) Lucky horseshoes.
(d) Throwing salt over your shoulder.
4. What does Isa remind herself of when she sees Giles?
(a) That Giles has always been kind to her.
(b) That she forgot to prepare Giles' suit.
(c) That Giles is the father of her children.
(d) That Giles dislikes Mrs. Manresa.
5. What does William have a strange urge to do?
(a) Punch Giles Oliver.
(b) Take part in the pageant.
(c) Confess his troubles to Mrs. Swithin.
(d) Steal a piece of silver from the cabinet.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is 'the old wall'?
2. What does Giles Oliver do for a living?
3. What does the young girl return to the stage to announce?
4. What does William have a brief fantasy about?
5. What does Lucy Swithin like to read about?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Giles fume about while the group has tea?
2. What role does Albert play, and why is it not considered a stretch for him?
3. What does Lucy Swithin like to read and imagine?
4. Who accompanies Mrs. Swithin on a tour of Pointz Hall? What does she forget on the tour?
5. What thoughts does Isa have about the plot of the pageant?
6. As a skeptic and atheist, what does Mr. Oliver think about Mrs. Swithin?
7. Why is Mrs. Swithin laughed at while helping set up the event?
8. What do the Haineses and Mr. Oliver discuss at the beginning of the novel?
9. What does Isa think about while watching George and company?
10. What do William and Isa share a moment together doing? What thought briefly crosses William's mind while standing with Isa?
This section contains 797 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)