|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Lina doing when she sees her mother collapse?
2. What does Andrius tell Lina when she sees him as she leaves Mr. Stalas?
3. What does everyone bring to the Christmas Eve celebration?
4. Why does Elena think Kretsky was assigned to go with them to Siberia?
5. Why is one man killed at the farm?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the Christmas celebration.
2. Why do the soldiers pay no attention as the prisoners strip for a shower?
3. How do the others help Lina celebrate her sixteenth birthday?
4. What happens to Jonas?
5. What news does Mrs. Rimas recieve in a letter and how is it coded?
6. What does Lina wonder when an American ship arrives?
7. What letter does Lina remember receiving once from Joana?
8. What do the prisoners have to do immediately when they arrive at Trofimovsk?
9. What do readers learn in the Epilogue?
10. What does Lina observe about Andrius' mother when Lina slips away after eating her potato that Jonas brought?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in "Between Shades of Gray".
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of "Between Shades of Gray". How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of "Between Shades of Gray". How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
Essay Topic 2
Many readers of fiction place themselves in the position of one character, wondering if they would do the same thing as that character. Discuss the following:
1. Do you think one of the values of literature is to serve as a reflection of oneself? Why or why not?
2. Socrates said "Know thyself." How can reading a book such as "Between Shades of Gray" help a reader to know him/herself? Do you find yourself reflecting on your own character and abilities when reading "Between Shades of Gray"? Why or why not.
3. Choose one specific incident in "Between Shades of Gray" to discuss and compare one of the characters' response to how you think you would respond.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. What is a plot? What are the most important elements of a plot and their definition? Do all novels have a plot? Why or why not?
2. Write a brief synopsis of the plot of "Between Shades of Gray", identifying where the various elements of the plot occur (Exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, resolution or denouement). Do you find it difficult to identify the plot? Why or why not? What about the various elements of the plot?
3. Identify the major sub-plots and their elements in "Between Shades of Gray". (The subplots may not contain every element of a major plot). Do the sub-plots add to the main plot? Why or why not. Are the sub-plots interesting in and of themselves? Why or why not?
This section contains 989 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)