|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Elena think Kretsky was assigned to go with them to Siberia?
(a) For helping the prisoners.
(b) For refusing to divulge information about his family.
(c) For disobeying a lawful order.
(d) She has no idea.
2. What does Mrs. Rimas learn?
(a) That her husband has been shot.
(b) That her husband is still alive.
(c) That her daughter is able to get to England.
(d) That her son is able to get to England.
3. What is Lina doing when she sees her mother collapse?
(a) Smuggling food to an elderly woman.
(b) Stealing wood.
(c) Working on the assembly line.
(d) Working in the fields.
4. What does Jonas give Andrius?
(b) A knife.
(c) A stone.
(d) A book.
5. What does the grouchy woman provide for the celebration?
(a) A brief Christmas story preformance.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mr. Stalas act toward Lina?
2. What does the bald man reveal?
3. Why are the prisoners given more food than usual?
4. What does Kretsky tell Elena?
5. What does Jonas realize that evening when Elena and Lina return to the hut?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Kretsky show his humanity after they have frightened the women?
2. What does Elena reveal about Kretsky?
3. What happens to Jonas?
4. What event makes Lina and Elena decide to stop asking for extra food for Jonas?
5. Why do the soldiers pay no attention as the prisoners strip for a shower?
6. Why does Elena collapse one day?
7. What do readers learn in the Epilogue?
8. What does Elena have Lina do for Mr. Stalas, and what is Lina's response to the task?
9. What does Lina wonder when an American ship arrives?
10. Describe the encounter between Kretsky and Lina at the wood pile.
This section contains 835 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)