|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the old bald man say about himself?
(a) That he is going to get them out of there.
(b) That he is escaping.
(c) That he is giving up.
(d) That he is withered.
2. Why does Elena think Kretsky was assigned to go with them to Siberia?
(a) For helping the prisoners.
(b) For refusing to divulge information about his family.
(c) For disobeying a lawful order.
(d) She has no idea.
3. Who does Lina see outside when the train stops?
(a) Her father.
4. How many people are in their group?
5. What happens when Kretsky gets off the boat?
(a) He is met by his sister.
(b) He is ordered back on it.
(c) He is given new orders.
(d) He is shot.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Lina and Elena stop doing?
2. What does Lina wonder about the visitors?
3. What does Elena have Lina take Mr. Stalas?
4. What does Kretsky tell Elena?
5. What are the prisoners told?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Elena reveal about Kretsky?
2. What do the prisoners have to do immediately when they arrive at Trofimovsk?
3. What event makes Lina and Elena decide to stop asking for extra food for Jonas?
4. What letter does Lina remember receiving once from Joana?
5. Why are Lina, Elena, and Jonas quiet about the potatoes he brings home that night?
6. How does Andrius and a Siberian woman help save Jonas' life?
7. What do readers learn in the Epilogue?
8. How do the soldiers harass and frighten the women who have been digging a large hole?
9. What does Lina learn from the bald man about their captivity?
10. What does Lina steal and how does she explain it to Andrius?
This section contains 820 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)