|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much time has passed as Jonas is improving?
(a) 6 months.
(b) 2 days.
(c) 1 month.
(d) 2 weeks.
2. Why is Lina embarrassed?
(a) The prisoners have to undres in front of the soldiers.
(b) The prisoners are strip searched.
(c) She loses her head for a minute and cries in front of the soldiers.
(d) The prisoners are given better food and many fight others for the food.
3. What is Lina doing when she sees her mother collapse?
(a) Working in the fields.
(b) Smuggling food to an elderly woman.
(c) Working on the assembly line.
(d) Stealing wood.
4. What have Andrius and his mother decided to do?
(a) Use their privileges to gain food for the others.
(b) Try to get a pardon.
(c) Kill themselves together.
(d) Escape together.
5. What do they learn about the Japanese?
(a) They have advanced to the Philippines.
(b) They bombed Pearl Harbor.
(d) They are defeated.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Janina tell the bald man?
2. What does Jonas realize that evening when Elena and Lina return to the hut?
3. What does Mr. Lukas say is wrong with Jonas?
4. What does Andrius bring for Jonas?
5. How many people are in their group?
Short Essay Questions
1. What has Hitler done in Lithuania, and what is the bald man's response to the action?
2. How do the others help Lina celebrate her sixteenth birthday?
3. What causes Lina to appreciate the risk that some take to get food for others?
4. What does Lina observe about Andrius' mother when Lina slips away after eating her potato that Jonas brought?
5. How do the soldiers thrown out into the snow one day when Lina and Jonas are going to the kitchen and why do they eat the food immediately?
6. What do the prisoners learn about the Japanese and Hitler?
7. What does Elena reveal about Kretsky?
8. Why are Lina, Elena, and Jonas quiet about the potatoes he brings home that night?
9. What happens to Kretsky when the prisoners arrive at some port?
10. How does Elena and Jonas praise Andrius and what is Lina's feeling about the praise?
This section contains 787 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)