|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Elena and Lina ask of the others?
(a) To cover for them in the fields so they can nurse Jonas.
(b) To try to bribe the soldiers for citrus.
(c) To help provide extra food for Jonas.
(d) To try to find more fruit.
2. What does Lina wonder about the visitors?
(a) If they cared about what was happening in the camp.
(b) If they know what is going on in the camp.
(c) If they saw the signs of many people being there.
(d) If they came to negotiate the prisoners' release.
3. What does Elena have Lina take Mr. Stalas?
(a) A beet.
(b) A potato.
(c) A note.
(d) Some medicine.
4. Why does Lina not go to find Jonas?
(a) Her mother said she is going to find him.
(b) The soldiers won't let her.
(c) She is told Jonas was taken to the hospital where she cannot go.
(d) She does not know where to look.
5. What can Lina not get over?
(a) That the bald man would know about her family when she did not.
(b) That Kretsky has been so kind.
(c) That Andrius did not come with them.
(d) That her family is there while Joana's family is comfortable in Germany.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Elena learn that makes her collapse?
2. How is Andrius able to stay at the camp?
3. Why do Elena and Jonas say Andrius is courageous?
4. What does Lina do the next time she sees Andrius?
5. What habit does Alexandras Lukas have?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Elena collapse one day?
2. Describe the Christmas celebration.
3. Describe the encounter between Kretsky and Lina at the wood pile.
4. How does Elena and Jonas praise Andrius and what is Lina's feeling about the praise?
5. How do the others help Lina celebrate her sixteenth birthday?
6. How do the soldiers harass and frighten the women who have been digging a large hole?
7. How do the soldiers thrown out into the snow one day when Lina and Jonas are going to the kitchen and why do they eat the food immediately?
8. Why are Lina, Elena, and Jonas quiet about the potatoes he brings home that night?
9. What do the prisoners learn about the Japanese and Hitler?
10. What does Andrius say about his mother and why she is doing what she does?
This section contains 981 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)