|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Mrs. Arvydas doing?
(a) Begging for another potato.
(d) Laughing with some of the soldiers.
2. What do the soldiers start throwing in the dirt?
3. What does Joana not understand about her father's actions?
(a) Why he would be packing up his medical books.
(b) Why he refused to let her go to school.
(c) Why he said Lina could not go with them.
(d) Why he was so explosive in temperament.
4. What can Lina not get over?
(a) That Kretsky has been so kind.
(b) That Andrius did not come with them.
(c) That the bald man would know about her family when she did not.
(d) That her family is there while Joana's family is comfortable in Germany.
5. What does the grouchy woman provide for the celebration?
(d) A brief Christmas story preformance.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lina find that she decides to smuggle back to camp?
2. What does Elena have Lina take Mr. Stalas?
3. What does the old bald man say about himself?
4. Why are the prisoners given more food than usual?
5. About whom does Lina think as they are eating?
Short Essay Questions
1. What event makes Lina and Elena decide to stop asking for extra food for Jonas?
2. How does Kretsky show his humanity after they have frightened the women?
3. What do the prisoners have to do immediately when they arrive at Trofimovsk?
4. What news does Mrs. Rimas recieve in a letter and how is it coded?
5. What causes Lina to appreciate the risk that some take to get food for others?
6. Describe the Christmas celebration.
7. What does Andrius say about his mother and why she is doing what she does?
8. What is the story behind the stone that Jonas gives Andrius?
9. How do the others help Lina celebrate her sixteenth birthday?
10. How do the soldiers harass and frighten the women who have been digging a large hole?
This section contains 828 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)