|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lina give Andrius for Christmas?
(a) A poem.
(b) A drawing.
(c) The puppy she finds.
2. What does Elena learn that makes her collapse?
(a) That Jonas is being sent away.
(b) That her husband has been killed in prison.
(c) That they are going to be shot.
(d) That Lina is being sent away.
3. What does everyone bring to the Christmas Eve celebration?
(c) A present for each other.
(d) Their family photos.
4. Why is one man killed at the farm?
(a) He tried to run away.
(b) He wrote a letter.
(c) He refused to work.
(d) He hit a guard.
5. What habit does Alexandras Lukas have?
(a) Clearing his throat.
(b) Saying "alright."
(c) Running his hand through his hair.
(d) Winding his watch.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Elena notice about Andrius and Lina?
2. What does Lina learn when she works in the beet field?
3. How does Lina's family get to their new destination?
4. What does the grouchy woman provide for the celebration?
5. What does Lina wonder about the visitors?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lina observe about Andrius' mother when Lina slips away after eating her potato that Jonas brought?
2. What event makes Lina and Elena decide to stop asking for extra food for Jonas?
3. What does Andrius say about his mother and why she is doing what she does?
4. Why do the soldiers pay no attention as the prisoners strip for a shower?
5. How does Kretsky show his humanity after they have frightened the women?
6. What does Lina learn from the bald man about their captivity?
7. How do the others help Lina celebrate her sixteenth birthday?
8. What happens to Kretsky when the prisoners arrive at some port?
9. Describe the Christmas celebration.
10. What letter does Lina remember receiving once from Joana?
This section contains 860 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)