|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where has the boat crossed when the prisoners start getting excited that they are going to America?
(a) The Black Sea.
(b) The English Channel.
(c) They do not know where they are.
(d) The Arctic Circle.
2. What does Lina think of Andrius?
(a) That he betrayed the other prisoners.
(b) That he is dishonest.
(c) That he is kind.
(d) That he is handsome.
3. Who is Ulyushka?
(a) The administrator of the farm.
(b) The doctor who visits once a month.
(c) The nurse who visits once a week.
(d) The old woman with whom Lina's family lives.
4. What is Mrs. Arvydas doing?
(b) Laughing with some of the soldiers.
(d) Begging for another potato.
5. What does Elena say in her letters?
(a) The soldiers beat them regularly.
(b) Nothing; they are not allowed to write.
(c) Code to express the conditions.
(d) The conditions are barbaric.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mrs. Arvydas appear?
2. What does Janina's mother almost do?
3. What has Andrius considered doing for his mother?
4. What does Joana not understand about her father's actions?
5. What does the grouchy woman provide for the celebration?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the encounter between Kretsky and Lina at the wood pile.
2. What happens to Kretsky when the prisoners arrive at some port?
3. What does Lina learn from the bald man about their captivity?
4. What do the prisoners learn about the Japanese and Hitler?
5. How do the soldiers thrown out into the snow one day when Lina and Jonas are going to the kitchen and why do they eat the food immediately?
6. What causes Lina to appreciate the risk that some take to get food for others?
7. What is the story behind the stone that Jonas gives Andrius?
8. Describe the Christmas celebration.
9. What does Lina steal and how does she explain it to Andrius?
10. What do readers learn in the Epilogue?
This section contains 838 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)