|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does one of the men insist is happening to the prisoners?
(a) They are being taken to America.
(b) They are going to be set free in Siberia.
(c) They are going to be shot.
(d) They are going to work in Russian factories.
2. What does the old bald man say about himself?
(a) That he is giving up.
(b) That he is escaping.
(c) That he is going to get them out of there.
(d) That he is withered.
3. What does Jonas realize that evening when Elena and Lina return to the hut?
(a) They are happier.
(b) They are laughing more.
(c) Something has happened.
(d) They are not hungry.
4. Why are the prisoners given more food than usual?
(a) So they can work harder at their destination.
(b) There is more available in this region.
(c) There is a new, more compassionate commandant.
(d) They are not given more food.
5. What payment does the bald man ask in return for revealing the secret?
(a) An extra ration for two days.
(b) The use of her mittens for a few minutes.
(d) The use of her ear muffs for a few minutes.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Andrius able to stay at the camp?
2. What does Lina learn about Jonas?
3. Who helps Lina after the soldiers try to frighten the women?
4. Why can't Mr. Stalas work?
5. What have Andrius and his mother decided to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are the prisoners waked in the middle of the night and what do they do?
2. What does Elena have Lina do for Mr. Stalas, and what is Lina's response to the task?
3. What do the prisoners have to do immediately when they arrive at Trofimovsk?
4. How does Elena and Jonas praise Andrius and what is Lina's feeling about the praise?
5. What does Andrius say about his mother and why she is doing what she does?
6. Why do the soldiers pay no attention as the prisoners strip for a shower?
7. What do readers learn in the Epilogue?
8. What causes Lina to appreciate the risk that some take to get food for others?
9. What news does Mrs. Rimas recieve in a letter and how is it coded?
10. What happens to Jonas?
This section contains 910 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)