|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What surprises Lina one night when she turns sixteen?
(a) Andrius kisses Lina.
(b) Elena gives Lina half the family's jfewels that are left.
(c) A party in her honor.
(d) Kretsky brings a cake for her birthday.
2. What does Janina's mother almost do?
(a) Attacks a soldier.
(b) Kills a soldier.
(c) Kills Janina.
(d) Kills herself.
3. What are the prisoners told they have to do?
(a) Work in the weapons factory.
(b) Sign papers or they'll be shot.
(d) Build their own shelters.
4. Why are the prisoners given more food than usual?
(a) So they can work harder at their destination.
(b) There is more available in this region.
(c) There is a new, more compassionate commandant.
(d) They are not given more food.
5. What does Elena say in her letters?
(a) The soldiers beat them regularly.
(b) Code to express the conditions.
(c) The conditions are barbaric.
(d) Nothing; they are not allowed to write.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do Elena and Jonas say Andrius is courageous?
2. How does Mrs. Arvydas appear?
3. What does Mrs. Rimas learn?
4. From what book of the Bible is there a reference in Mrs. Rimas' letter?
5. What does Jonas find?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the soldiers pay no attention as the prisoners strip for a shower?
2. What event makes Lina and Elena decide to stop asking for extra food for Jonas?
3. What do the prisoners learn about the Japanese and Hitler?
4. What letter does Lina remember receiving once from Joana?
5. How does Elena and Jonas praise Andrius and what is Lina's feeling about the praise?
6. How do the soldiers thrown out into the snow one day when Lina and Jonas are going to the kitchen and why do they eat the food immediately?
7. What does Lina wonder when an American ship arrives?
8. What does Lina steal and how does she explain it to Andrius?
9. Describe the Christmas celebration.
10. Describe the encounter between Kretsky and Lina at the wood pile.
This section contains 861 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)