|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Andrius say he got what he brought for Jonas?
(a) He does not say.
(b) Steals it.
(c) Buys it on the black market.
(d) Sneaks into the village and buys it from a villager.
2. Why do Elena and Jonas say Andrius is courageous?
(a) For getting food for them on occasion.
(b) For standing up to the guards.
(c) For taking care of Mr. Stalas.
(d) For sneaking out of the camp sometimes.
3. What does Elena say in her letters?
(a) The conditions are barbaric.
(b) Code to express the conditions.
(c) The soldiers beat them regularly.
(d) Nothing; they are not allowed to write.
4. What does the grouchy woman provide for the celebration?
(b) A brief Christmas story preformance.
5. How do the women act the rest of the day after the soldiers try to scare them?
(a) They try to find some humor in the situation.
(b) They cry as they work.
(c) They mumble bad things about the soldiers.
(d) They do not speak.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where has the boat crossed when the prisoners start getting excited that they are going to America?
2. What do Lina and Jonas realize about their mother?
3. Why does Lina not go to find Jonas?
4. What do Andrius and his mother send?
5. What is Trofimovsk?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Elena collapse one day?
2. What does Elena reveal about Kretsky?
3. What does Elena have Lina do for Mr. Stalas, and what is Lina's response to the task?
4. Why are the prisoners waked in the middle of the night and what do they do?
5. What is the story behind the stone that Jonas gives Andrius?
6. Describe the encounter between Kretsky and Lina at the wood pile.
7. What news does Mrs. Rimas recieve in a letter and how is it coded?
8. How does Elena and Jonas praise Andrius and what is Lina's feeling about the praise?
9. What does Lina wonder when an American ship arrives?
10. What does Andrius say about his mother and why she is doing what she does?
This section contains 941 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)