|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Janina tell the bald man?
(a) Her family knows his son.
(b) Hitler is turning out to be worse than Stalin.
(c) Her family hid his daughter.
(d) Hitler might be killing Jews.
2. What does Mrs. Rimas learn?
(a) That her husband is still alive.
(b) That her daughter is able to get to England.
(c) That her husband has been shot.
(d) That her son is able to get to England.
3. From what book of the Bible is there a reference in Mrs. Rimas' letter?
4. What interrupts the people's celebration?
(a) Jonas falling ill again.
(b) The arrival of guards.
(c) Andrius screaming.
(d) Lina finding a puppy.
5. What does Elena say in her letters?
(a) The conditions are barbaric.
(b) Nothing; they are not allowed to write.
(c) The soldiers beat them regularly.
(d) Code to express the conditions.
Short Answer Questions
1. When are the prisoners taken to the military office?
2. Why can't Mr. Stalas work?
3. What does the grouchy woman provide for the celebration?
4. What do they learn about the Japanese?
5. What does Kretsky tell Elena?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lina observe about Andrius' mother when Lina slips away after eating her potato that Jonas brought?
2. What does Andrius say about his mother and why she is doing what she does?
3. What is the story behind the stone that Jonas gives Andrius?
4. What does Elena reveal about Kretsky?
5. How do the soldiers harass and frighten the women who have been digging a large hole?
6. What do readers learn in the Epilogue?
7. How does Andrius and a Siberian woman help save Jonas' life?
8. How do the others help Lina celebrate her sixteenth birthday?
9. What happens to Jonas?
10. How does Kretsky show his humanity after they have frightened the women?
This section contains 820 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)