|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Andrius say he got what he brought for Jonas?
(a) He does not say.
(b) Sneaks into the village and buys it from a villager.
(c) Buys it on the black market.
(d) Steals it.
2. What do Andrius and his mother send?
(d) Egg Nog.
3. Why do the soldiers pay no attention to the prisoners?
(a) The soldiers have nice-looking town girls around them.
(b) The soldiers know the prisoners can't escape.
(c) The prisoners are so skinny as to be androgynous.
(d) Their commandant orders them to turn their heads.
4. What is Lina doing when she sees her mother collapse?
(a) Working on the assembly line.
(b) Working in the fields.
(c) Smuggling food to an elderly woman.
(d) Stealing wood.
5. Why do Elena and Jonas say Andrius is courageous?
(a) For taking care of Mr. Stalas.
(b) For getting food for them on occasion.
(c) For standing up to the guards.
(d) For sneaking out of the camp sometimes.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are the prisoners forced to hide?
2. What interrupts the people's celebration?
3. What does Andrius bring for Jonas?
4. What does Kretsky tell Elena?
5. What does Lina steal?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the soldiers harass and frighten the women who have been digging a large hole?
2. What do the prisoners have to do immediately when they arrive at Trofimovsk?
3. How does Elena and Jonas praise Andrius and what is Lina's feeling about the praise?
4. What does Lina steal and how does she explain it to Andrius?
5. How do the others help Lina celebrate her sixteenth birthday?
6. Describe the encounter between Kretsky and Lina at the wood pile.
7. What happens to Kretsky when the prisoners arrive at some port?
8. What is the story behind the stone that Jonas gives Andrius?
9. What happens to Jonas?
10. How do the soldiers thrown out into the snow one day when Lina and Jonas are going to the kitchen and why do they eat the food immediately?
This section contains 867 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)