|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Elena learn from someone about food?
(a) It comes in from another farm.
(b) It is strictly rationed.
(c) They have to grow their own food.
(d) There is plenty but the same day after day.
2. Who is Miss Grybas?
(a) Lina's best friend's sister.
(b) Lina's aunt.
(c) One of the soldier's girlfriends.
(d) A teacher.
3. What month do the soldiers come to Lina's home?
4. What does Elena give the bald man?
(a) Some rags to splint his leg.
(b) Some chocolate.
(c) A book.
(d) Her ham.
5. What does Lina realize about her parents' plans?
(a) To appeal to Stalin for clemency.
(b) To escape the country.
(c) To hide among Christian friends.
(d) That they had made no plans.
Short Answer Questions
1. How often does the train stop?
2. What does Lina realize about the possibility of running?
3. What do the women do to relieve stress?
4. Why does Elena rush to get herself and Lina clean?
5. Who directs the packing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lina keep from her mother about Kostas?
2. What does Lina remember about her artistic abilities?
3. Why are Ona and the bald man in danger and what do the others do?
4. What is Lina thinking about as the story opens?
5. What does Elena say the soldiers wanted of her and how does Jonas react to the information?
6. What does Lina tell a gray-haired man about her drawing?
7. How often does the train stop and for what reason?
8. What does Lina notice as the train is pulling away from the station?
9. How do they dispose of Ona's baby's body?
10. Where does the truck go after Lina's family is on it and why does it go there?
This section contains 782 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)