|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the soldiers want Elena to do?
(a) Take charge of the farm.
(b) Write a letter.
(c) Spy on the others.
(d) Work as the secretary.
2. Who is Ona?
(a) One of the soldiers.
(b) The train's conductor.
(c) The matron who is searching the female prisoners.
(d) The woman who just gave birth.
3. What does Elena learn from someone about food?
(a) It is strictly rationed.
(b) It comes in from another farm.
(c) They have to grow their own food.
(d) There is plenty but the same day after day.
4. Who directs the packing?
(a) Each person packs for him/herself.
5. What made Lina angry about her conversation with her father?
(a) That peasants are considered expendable.
(b) That the best methods of food production were ignored.
(c) That the people in this area of Russia are considered inferior.
(d) The way Stalin took the land away from individuals.
Short Answer Questions
1. About what does Miss Grybas explain as the train continues south?
2. What does Lina realize about the possibility of running?
3. What is Lina thinking about at the opening of the novel?
4. What are the daily rations like?
5. What does Lina realize when her mother tells her to button her coat?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lina's father say to Lina?
2. What do Lina and Elena do on their first day?
3. Why does Elena rush her children and what is the mood when they get back on the truck?
4. What happens one day when it is Lina's turn to take the buckets for the food and water?
5. What upsets Lina about being told to shower but why is she happy?
6. Who introduces himself and what does he say about his father?
7. What does Elena say the soldiers wanted of her and how does Jonas react to the information?
8. Who does Lina recognize on the truck and what does one prisoner do and what happens to him?
9. Why are Ona and the bald man in danger and what do the others do?
10. What does Lina realize about her father's words about drawing?
This section contains 967 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)