|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Elena and Lina ask of the others?
(a) To try to bribe the soldiers for citrus.
(b) To try to find more fruit.
(c) To help provide extra food for Jonas.
(d) To cover for them in the fields so they can nurse Jonas.
2. How does Mrs. Arvydas appear?
3. What does the mother of a girl who dies do?
(a) Attacks the doctor.
(c) Attacks a soldier.
(d) Jumps off the train when the girl's body is removed.
4. Who is Janina?
(a) A doctor who checks the passengers.
(b) A nurse who checks the passengers.
(c) A priest.
(d) A little girl who travels with them.
5. Why do Elena and Jonas say Andrius is courageous?
(a) For getting food for them on occasion.
(b) For sneaking out of the camp sometimes.
(c) For standing up to the guards.
(d) For taking care of Mr. Stalas.
6. How much time has passed as Jonas is improving?
(a) 1 month.
(b) 2 weeks.
(c) 2 days.
(d) 6 months.
7. What does Mr. Lukas say is wrong with Jonas?
(b) Scarlet Fever.
(d) He does not know.
8. What is Mrs. Arvydas doing?
(c) Begging for another potato.
(d) Laughing with some of the soldiers.
9. Who is Ulyushka?
(a) The old woman with whom Lina's family lives.
(b) The nurse who visits once a week.
(c) The administrator of the farm.
(d) The doctor who visits once a month.
10. Who does Lina see outside when the train stops?
(b) Her father.
11. What does Lina say when Andrius asks her if she is scared as she is stealing logs?
(a) She says the soldiers are too cold to come out and catch her.
(b) She says she is simply cold.
(c) She says she does not care what happens.
(d) She says Kretsky gave her permissioni.
12. What can Lina not get over?
(a) That the bald man would know about her family when she did not.
(b) That Kretsky has been so kind.
(c) That Andrius did not come with them.
(d) That her family is there while Joana's family is comfortable in Germany.
13. What is good about the time around Christmas?
(a) The people are feeling a little optimistic.
(b) The administrator allows them to go into the village.
(c) It is so cold, the guards don't venture out much.
(d) The snow has abated somewhat.
14. What does Andrius bring for Jonas?
(a) A bottle of castor oil.
(b) A can of tomatoes.
(c) A can of orange juice.
(d) A can of pears.
15. Why are the prisoners forced to hide?
(a) An American ship arrives.
(b) A British ship arrives.
(c) A large group of German prisoners arrive.
(d) They are not forced to hide.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jonas give Andrius?
2. What does Lina do the next time she sees Andrius?
3. For what does Lina beg Kretsky?
4. What does Jonas have that they try to keep from the Altai woman?
5. What surprises Lina one night when she turns sixteen?
This section contains 535 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)