|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Mrs. Arvydas appear?
2. How do the women act the rest of the day after the soldiers try to scare them?
(a) They cry as they work.
(b) They mumble bad things about the soldiers.
(c) They do not speak.
(d) They try to find some humor in the situation.
3. Why do Elena and Jonas say Andrius is courageous?
(a) For sneaking out of the camp sometimes.
(b) For standing up to the guards.
(c) For taking care of Mr. Stalas.
(d) For getting food for them on occasion.
4. What happens when Kretsky gets off the boat?
(a) He is given new orders.
(b) He is ordered back on it.
(c) He is met by his sister.
(d) He is shot.
5. Who is Janina?
(a) A nurse who checks the passengers.
(b) A priest.
(c) A doctor who checks the passengers.
(d) A little girl who travels with them.
6. Why is one man killed at the farm?
(a) He hit a guard.
(b) He tried to run away.
(c) He refused to work.
(d) He wrote a letter.
7. What surprises Lina one night when she turns sixteen?
(a) A party in her honor.
(b) Kretsky brings a cake for her birthday.
(c) Elena gives Lina half the family's jfewels that are left.
(d) Andrius kisses Lina.
8. From what book of the Bible is there a reference in Mrs. Rimas' letter?
9. When are the prisoners allowed to gather wood and other materials for their camp?
(b) After working.
(c) When they have breaks during the day.
(d) All day.
10. Why does Elena think Kretsky was assigned to go with them to Siberia?
(a) For helping the prisoners.
(b) For disobeying a lawful order.
(c) She has no idea.
(d) For refusing to divulge information about his family.
11. What does one of the men insist is happening to the prisoners?
(a) They are going to be set free in Siberia.
(b) They are being taken to America.
(c) They are going to work in Russian factories.
(d) They are going to be shot.
12. What does Lina think of Andrius?
(a) That he betrayed the other prisoners.
(b) That he is kind.
(c) That he is dishonest.
(d) That he is handsome.
13. What does Janina tell the bald man?
(a) Hitler is turning out to be worse than Stalin.
(b) Her family knows his son.
(c) Her family hid his daughter.
(d) Hitler might be killing Jews.
14. What do Andrius and his mother send?
(a) Egg Nog.
15. What letter does Lina remember?
(a) One from Joana.
(b) One from her uncle.
(c) One from her mother when she is at art camp.
(d) One from her father.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Elena say in her letters?
2. What does Andrius bring for Jonas?
3. Where has the boat crossed when the prisoners start getting excited that they are going to America?
4. What is Trofimovsk?
5. What does Jonas give Andrius?
This section contains 528 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)