|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What have Andrius and his mother decided to do?
(a) Use their privileges to gain food for the others.
(b) Escape together.
(c) Try to get a pardon.
(d) Kill themselves together.
2. About what does the commander renege?
(a) A promise of freedom after the New Year.
(b) A promise of less hours of work per day.
(c) A promise of an increase in food allotments.
(d) A promise of potatoes for the drawing.
3. What does Joana not understand about her father's actions?
(a) Why he was so explosive in temperament.
(b) Why he would be packing up his medical books.
(c) Why he refused to let her go to school.
(d) Why he said Lina could not go with them.
4. About whom does Lina think as they are eating?
(a) Her father.
(c) Mr. Stalas.
5. What does a Siberian woman offer?
(a) A jar of peaches.
(b) A dose of vitamins.
(c) A fruit that only grows in that area.
(d) The makings of some tea to help Jonas.
6. Where does Andrius say he got what he brought for Jonas?
(a) He does not say.
(b) Buys it on the black market.
(c) Steals it.
(d) Sneaks into the village and buys it from a villager.
7. Why is one man killed at the farm?
(a) He tried to run away.
(b) He refused to work.
(c) He wrote a letter.
(d) He hit a guard.
8. How do the women act the rest of the day after the soldiers try to scare them?
(a) They cry as they work.
(b) They try to find some humor in the situation.
(c) They mumble bad things about the soldiers.
(d) They do not speak.
9. Why are the prisoners given more food than usual?
(a) So they can work harder at their destination.
(b) There is more available in this region.
(c) They are not given more food.
(d) There is a new, more compassionate commandant.
10. What does Janina tell the bald man?
(a) Hitler is turning out to be worse than Stalin.
(b) Her family knows his son.
(c) Hitler might be killing Jews.
(d) Her family hid his daughter.
11. Who is Janina?
(a) A priest.
(b) A little girl who travels with them.
(c) A nurse who checks the passengers.
(d) A doctor who checks the passengers.
12. How does Mr. Stalas act toward Lina?
13. What are the prisoners told they have to do?
(a) Sign papers or they'll be shot.
(b) Build their own shelters.
(c) Work in the weapons factory.
14. What do the soldiers start throwing in the dirt?
15. What do Lina and Elena stop doing?
(a) Working in the fields.
(b) Worrying about Jonas as he is better.
(c) Talking to Mrs. Rimas.
(d) Asking for help.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Janina's mother almost do?
2. What does Lina say to Andrius as they wait for Elena to return?
3. Why do the soldiers pay no attention to the prisoners?
4. What does Lina watch Mrs. Rimas do one day?
5. Who is Ulyushka?
This section contains 586 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)