|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Andrius tell Lina when she sees him as she leaves Mr. Stalas?
(a) His father is arriving the next day.
(b) He is going to escape.
(c) His family has been pardoned.
(d) The blond soldier's name.
2. What does Joana not understand about her father's actions?
(a) Why he would be packing up his medical books.
(b) Why he said Lina could not go with them.
(c) Why he was so explosive in temperament.
(d) Why he refused to let her go to school.
3. What does Janina's mother almost do?
(a) Kills Janina.
(b) Kills herself.
(c) Kills a soldier.
(d) Attacks a soldier.
4. What does the old bald man say about himself?
(a) That he is giving up.
(b) That he is escaping.
(c) That he is withered.
(d) That he is going to get them out of there.
5. What do Lina and Elena stop doing?
(a) Working in the fields.
(b) Talking to Mrs. Rimas.
(c) Worrying about Jonas as he is better.
(d) Asking for help.
6. What do the soldiers start throwing in the dirt?
7. What is good about the time around Christmas?
(a) The administrator allows them to go into the village.
(b) It is so cold, the guards don't venture out much.
(c) The people are feeling a little optimistic.
(d) The snow has abated somewhat.
8. What does Jonas have that they try to keep from the Altai woman?
(a) A bunch of onions.
(b) 3 potatoes.
(c) A head of cabbage.
(d) 3 beets.
9. Why is Lina embarrassed?
(a) The prisoners are strip searched.
(b) The prisoners are given better food and many fight others for the food.
(c) The prisoners have to undres in front of the soldiers.
(d) She loses her head for a minute and cries in front of the soldiers.
10. What does Lina wonder about the visitors?
(a) If they know what is going on in the camp.
(b) If they came to negotiate the prisoners' release.
(c) If they cared about what was happening in the camp.
(d) If they saw the signs of many people being there.
11. What does the commander do for hours?
(a) Questions those who are to be released.
(b) Slaps and kicks the prisoners.
(c) Try to talk the prisoners into signing the document.
(d) Questions those who are to be transferred.
12. What does the grouchy woman provide for the celebration?
(a) A brief Christmas story preformance.
13. How does Mrs. Arvydas appear?
14. What does everyone bring to the Christmas Eve celebration?
(a) Their family photos.
(d) A present for each other.
15. What does Jonas give Andrius?
(a) A knife.
(b) A stone.
(c) A book.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lina say when Andrius asks her if she is scared as she is stealing logs?
2. What has Andrius considered doing for his mother?
3. When are the prisoners taken to the military office?
4. What letter does Lina remember?
5. What does Janina tell the bald man?
This section contains 563 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)