|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Andrius say he got what he brought for Jonas?
(a) Steals it.
(b) Sneaks into the village and buys it from a villager.
(c) He does not say.
(d) Buys it on the black market.
2. How do the soldiers try to frighten the women?
(a) By kicking dirt on them and firing their weapons.
(b) By pointing their fingers and them and making a sign like pulling a trigger.
(c) By making them march all night around the farm.
(d) By screaming at them.
3. Who helps Lina after the soldiers try to frighten the women?
(c) Mr. Stalas.
4. What does Elena have Lina take Mr. Stalas?
(a) A potato.
(b) Some medicine.
(c) A note.
(d) A beet.
5. What does Lina do the next time she sees Andrius?
(a) Blushes at his attentions.
(c) Tells him he does not look dirty or hungry.
(d) Thanks him for the extra food he brings.
6. From what book of the Bible is there a reference in Mrs. Rimas' letter?
7. What does everyone bring to the Christmas Eve celebration?
(b) Their family photos.
(c) A present for each other.
8. What do the soldiers tell the woman who have been digging to do?
(a) Go back to their huts.
(b) Get into the hole.
(c) Do the soldiers' laundry.
(d) Cook the soldiers some food.
9. What does Elena learn that makes her collapse?
(a) That Jonas is being sent away.
(b) That her husband has been killed in prison.
(c) That Lina is being sent away.
(d) That they are going to be shot.
10. Why are the prisoners forced to hide?
(a) A large group of German prisoners arrive.
(b) An American ship arrives.
(c) A British ship arrives.
(d) They are not forced to hide.
11. What does Andrius bring for Jonas?
(a) A can of orange juice.
(b) A can of tomatoes.
(c) A bottle of castor oil.
(d) A can of pears.
12. What does Mrs. Rimas learn?
(a) That her husband is still alive.
(b) That her husband has been shot.
(c) That her son is able to get to England.
(d) That her daughter is able to get to England.
13. What interrupts the people's celebration?
(a) Jonas falling ill again.
(b) Andrius screaming.
(c) The arrival of guards.
(d) Lina finding a puppy.
14. What does Lina watch Mrs. Rimas do one day?
(a) Cram her entire ration of bread in her mouth at once.
(b) Whisper to a guard.
(c) Feed a pigeon a few crumbs of bread.
(d) Offer Jonas half of her bread ration.
15. What does Mr. Lukas say is wrong with Jonas?
(b) He does not know.
(c) Scarlet Fever.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the grouchy woman provide for the celebration?
2. What does Lina give Andrius for Christmas?
3. Why do Elena and Jonas say Andrius is courageous?
4. What does a Siberian woman offer?
5. What does the mother of a girl who dies do?
This section contains 532 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)