|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For what does Lina beg Kretsky?
(a) Another pair of mittens.
(b) Some extra rations.
(c) Medical attention for Jonas.
(d) Medical attention for Elena.
2. What does Lina do the next time she sees Andrius?
(a) Tells him he does not look dirty or hungry.
(b) Thanks him for the extra food he brings.
(d) Blushes at his attentions.
3. What does one of the men insist is happening to the prisoners?
(a) They are going to be set free in Siberia.
(b) They are being taken to America.
(c) They are going to be shot.
(d) They are going to work in Russian factories.
4. What does Lina steal?
(a) A few moldy potatoes.
(c) More beets.
(d) A few wilted vegetables.
5. Why can't Mr. Stalas work?
(a) He is ill.
(b) He has bad back.
(c) He has a broken leg.
(d) He has a broken arm.
6. What is Mrs. Arvydas doing?
(c) Begging for another potato.
(d) Laughing with some of the soldiers.
7. What does Lina wonder about the visitors?
(a) If they saw the signs of many people being there.
(b) If they came to negotiate the prisoners' release.
(c) If they know what is going on in the camp.
(d) If they cared about what was happening in the camp.
8. Where does Andrius say he got what he brought for Jonas?
(a) He does not say.
(b) Buys it on the black market.
(c) Sneaks into the village and buys it from a villager.
(d) Steals it.
9. What do Andrius and his mother send?
(a) Egg Nog.
10. What does Lina learn when she works in the beet field?
(a) Stealing a beet is very difficult.
(b) Many people eat the beets raw with dirt on them as they work.
(c) Many beets are left to rot in the field.
(d) The soldiers are planning something.
11. What does Lina say when Andrius asks her if she is scared as she is stealing logs?
(a) She says the soldiers are too cold to come out and catch her.
(b) She says Kretsky gave her permissioni.
(c) She says she is simply cold.
(d) She says she does not care what happens.
12. What does Lina learn about Jonas?
(a) He is very ill.
(b) He has escaped.
(c) He has been injured.
(d) He has been conscripted for Stalin's army.
13. What letter does Lina remember?
(a) One from her father.
(b) One from Joana.
(c) One from her uncle.
(d) One from her mother when she is at art camp.
14. What do they learn about the Japanese?
(a) They bombed Pearl Harbor.
(c) They have advanced to the Philippines.
(d) They are defeated.
15. What does Lina watch Mrs. Rimas do one day?
(a) Offer Jonas half of her bread ration.
(b) Feed a pigeon a few crumbs of bread.
(c) Cram her entire ration of bread in her mouth at once.
(d) Whisper to a guard.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do Elena and Jonas say Andrius is courageous?
2. What does Andrius tell Lina when she sees him as she leaves Mr. Stalas?
3. When are the prisoners allowed to gather wood and other materials for their camp?
4. What does Lina give Andrius for Christmas?
5. What does Mrs. Rimas learn?
This section contains 589 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)