|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Elena say in her letters?
(a) The conditions are barbaric.
(b) Nothing; they are not allowed to write.
(c) The soldiers beat them regularly.
(d) Code to express the conditions.
2. What does Lina do the next time she sees Andrius?
(a) Tells him he does not look dirty or hungry.
(b) Blushes at his attentions.
(c) Thanks him for the extra food he brings.
3. Who does Lina see outside when the train stops?
(d) Her father.
4. What does Lina say when Andrius asks her if she is scared as she is stealing logs?
(a) She says she does not care what happens.
(b) She says Kretsky gave her permissioni.
(c) She says the soldiers are too cold to come out and catch her.
(d) She says she is simply cold.
5. How does Lina's family get to their new destination?
(a) On a train the whole way.
(b) First by truck and then by train.
(c) All the way on unheated military trucks.
6. What do Lina and Jonas realize about their mother?
(a) She has given up hope.
(b) She is secretly seeing the soldiers to beg for more supplies.
(c) She has withdrawn.
(d) She is giving the two of them most of her food rations.
7. What does Lina say to Andrius as they wait for Elena to return?
(a) She wishes she could understand him better.
(b) She is sorry for misjuding him.
(c) She is sorry about his mother.
(d) She wishes life were different for them.
8. How much time has passed as Jonas is improving?
(a) 1 month.
(b) 2 days.
(c) 2 weeks.
(d) 6 months.
9. How many people are in their group?
10. What does Mrs. Rimas learn?
(a) That her daughter is able to get to England.
(b) That her son is able to get to England.
(c) That her husband is still alive.
(d) That her husband has been shot.
11. What does Janina tell the bald man?
(a) Hitler might be killing Jews.
(b) Her family hid his daughter.
(c) Her family knows his son.
(d) Hitler is turning out to be worse than Stalin.
12. What surprises Lina one night when she turns sixteen?
(a) A party in her honor.
(b) Kretsky brings a cake for her birthday.
(c) Elena gives Lina half the family's jfewels that are left.
(d) Andrius kisses Lina.
13. What do Elena and Lina ask of the others?
(a) To try to bribe the soldiers for citrus.
(b) To try to find more fruit.
(c) To help provide extra food for Jonas.
(d) To cover for them in the fields so they can nurse Jonas.
14. What does Lina watch Mrs. Rimas do one day?
(a) Feed a pigeon a few crumbs of bread.
(b) Offer Jonas half of her bread ration.
(c) Cram her entire ration of bread in her mouth at once.
(d) Whisper to a guard.
15. How is Andrius able to stay at the camp?
(a) He pretends to be stupid.
(b) He prostitutes himself to the soldiers who like men.
(c) His mother prostitutes herself as a bribe.
(d) He does all the paperwork for the commandant.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Ulyushka?
2. What does Lina steal?
3. What do Andrius and his mother send?
4. What habit does Alexandras Lukas have?
5. What do Lina and Elena stop doing?
This section contains 574 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)