|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Lina's family get to their new destination?
(a) First by truck and then by train.
(c) On a train the whole way.
(d) All the way on unheated military trucks.
2. From what book of the Bible is there a reference in Mrs. Rimas' letter?
3. What do the soldiers tell the woman who have been digging to do?
(a) Cook the soldiers some food.
(b) Go back to their huts.
(c) Do the soldiers' laundry.
(d) Get into the hole.
4. What does Jonas realize that evening when Elena and Lina return to the hut?
(a) They are not hungry.
(b) They are happier.
(c) Something has happened.
(d) They are laughing more.
5. What does Lina learn about Jonas?
(a) He has been injured.
(b) He has escaped.
(c) He has been conscripted for Stalin's army.
(d) He is very ill.
6. What does the grouchy woman provide for the celebration?
(a) A brief Christmas story preformance.
7. How many people are in their group?
8. What does Lina say to Andrius as they wait for Elena to return?
(a) She wishes life were different for them.
(b) She is sorry for misjuding him.
(c) She wishes she could understand him better.
(d) She is sorry about his mother.
9. What have Andrius and his mother decided to do?
(a) Use their privileges to gain food for the others.
(b) Kill themselves together.
(c) Escape together.
(d) Try to get a pardon.
10. What does Andrius tell Lina when she sees him as she leaves Mr. Stalas?
(a) He is going to escape.
(b) His father is arriving the next day.
(c) The blond soldier's name.
(d) His family has been pardoned.
11. What habit does Alexandras Lukas have?
(a) Clearing his throat.
(b) Winding his watch.
(c) Running his hand through his hair.
(d) Saying "alright."
12. What surprises Lina one night when she turns sixteen?
(a) Kretsky brings a cake for her birthday.
(b) Andrius kisses Lina.
(c) Elena gives Lina half the family's jfewels that are left.
(d) A party in her honor.
13. What does the old bald man say about himself?
(a) That he is escaping.
(b) That he is withered.
(c) That he is going to get them out of there.
(d) That he is giving up.
14. What does Elena learn that makes her collapse?
(a) That Jonas is being sent away.
(b) That her husband has been killed in prison.
(c) That Lina is being sent away.
(d) That they are going to be shot.
15. What do Lina and Elena stop doing?
(a) Talking to Mrs. Rimas.
(b) Asking for help.
(c) Worrying about Jonas as he is better.
(d) Working in the fields.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Alexandras Lukas' job?
2. What does Mrs. Rimas learn?
3. What does Joana not understand about her father's actions?
4. Who helps Lina after the soldiers try to frighten the women?
5. What does Lina think of Andrius?
This section contains 534 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)