|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the bald man reveal?
(a) He is Jewish.
(b) He is Buddhist.
(c) He is an agnostic.
(d) He is an atheist.
2. Why does Elena think Kretsky was assigned to go with them to Siberia?
(a) For helping the prisoners.
(b) For refusing to divulge information about his family.
(c) She has no idea.
(d) For disobeying a lawful order.
3. What are the prisoners told they have to do?
(a) Work in the weapons factory.
(c) Build their own shelters.
(d) Sign papers or they'll be shot.
4. What does Elena notice about Andrius and Lina?
(a) They seem to hate each other.
(b) They avoid each other.
(c) They are nicer to each other than they had been.
(d) They are getting close.
5. What does Mrs. Rimas learn?
(a) That her husband is still alive.
(b) That her daughter is able to get to England.
(c) That her husband has been shot.
(d) That her son is able to get to England.
6. What surprises Lina one night when she turns sixteen?
(a) A party in her honor.
(b) Kretsky brings a cake for her birthday.
(c) Elena gives Lina half the family's jfewels that are left.
(d) Andrius kisses Lina.
7. How much time has passed as Jonas is improving?
(a) 1 month.
(b) 2 days.
(c) 6 months.
(d) 2 weeks.
8. What secret does the bald man tell Lina?
(a) That Andrius likes her.
(b) That her parents helped Joana's family escape.
(c) That Lina's mother has been an undercover spy for years.
(d) That Stalin made an agreement with the Lithuanian government.
9. What does Kretsky tell Elena?
(a) They need an artist.
(b) They are going to start killing the women.
(c) The Germans are getting closer.
(d) Russia is about to be invaded.
10. Why is Lina embarrassed?
(a) The prisoners have to undres in front of the soldiers.
(b) The prisoners are given better food and many fight others for the food.
(c) The prisoners are strip searched.
(d) She loses her head for a minute and cries in front of the soldiers.
11. What do the soldiers start throwing in the dirt?
12. Why are the prisoners forced to hide?
(a) An American ship arrives.
(b) They are not forced to hide.
(c) A British ship arrives.
(d) A large group of German prisoners arrive.
13. What does Lina learn when she works in the beet field?
(a) Many people eat the beets raw with dirt on them as they work.
(b) The soldiers are planning something.
(c) Stealing a beet is very difficult.
(d) Many beets are left to rot in the field.
14. Where has the boat crossed when the prisoners start getting excited that they are going to America?
(a) The Arctic Circle.
(b) The English Channel.
(c) The Black Sea.
(d) They do not know where they are.
15. What does the grouchy woman provide for the celebration?
(b) A brief Christmas story preformance.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Lukas say is wrong with Jonas?
2. About what does the commander renege?
3. What does Andrius tell Lina when she sees him as she leaves Mr. Stalas?
4. What does Jonas find?
5. What does Jonas have that they try to keep from the Altai woman?
This section contains 574 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)