|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jonas realize that evening when Elena and Lina return to the hut?
(a) They are happier.
(b) They are laughing more.
(c) Something has happened.
(d) They are not hungry.
2. What does Andrius tell Lina when she sees him as she leaves Mr. Stalas?
(a) His father is arriving the next day.
(b) His family has been pardoned.
(c) He is going to escape.
(d) The blond soldier's name.
3. How much time has passed as Jonas is improving?
(a) 2 weeks.
(b) 2 days.
(c) 1 month.
(d) 6 months.
4. Why is one man killed at the farm?
(a) He refused to work.
(b) He wrote a letter.
(c) He tried to run away.
(d) He hit a guard.
5. What payment does the bald man ask in return for revealing the secret?
(a) The use of her ear muffs for a few minutes.
(b) The use of her mittens for a few minutes.
(c) An extra ration for two days.
6. What is Lina doing when she sees her mother collapse?
(a) Stealing wood.
(b) Working in the fields.
(c) Working on the assembly line.
(d) Smuggling food to an elderly woman.
7. Where has the boat crossed when the prisoners start getting excited that they are going to America?
(a) The Arctic Circle.
(b) They do not know where they are.
(c) The Black Sea.
(d) The English Channel.
8. What is Alexandras Lukas' job?
(a) A farmer.
(b) A lawyer.
(c) A doctor.
(d) A soldier.
9. What is good about the time around Christmas?
(a) The people are feeling a little optimistic.
(b) The administrator allows them to go into the village.
(c) It is so cold, the guards don't venture out much.
(d) The snow has abated somewhat.
10. About whom does Lina think as they are eating?
(a) Her father.
(d) Mr. Stalas.
11. What does Lina think of Andrius?
(a) That he is handsome.
(b) That he betrayed the other prisoners.
(c) That he is kind.
(d) That he is dishonest.
12. What does Mr. Lukas say is wrong with Jonas?
(a) He does not know.
(d) Scarlet Fever.
13. What does a Siberian woman offer?
(a) The makings of some tea to help Jonas.
(b) A fruit that only grows in that area.
(c) A dose of vitamins.
(d) A jar of peaches.
14. What do Elena and Lina ask of the others?
(a) To try to find more fruit.
(b) To help provide extra food for Jonas.
(c) To cover for them in the fields so they can nurse Jonas.
(d) To try to bribe the soldiers for citrus.
15. What does the old bald man say about himself?
(a) That he is withered.
(b) That he is giving up.
(c) That he is escaping.
(d) That he is going to get them out of there.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lina do the next time she sees Andrius?
2. Why does Lina not go to find Jonas?
3. Who does Lina see outside when the train stops?
4. How does Mr. Stalas act toward Lina?
5. Why does Elena think Kretsky was assigned to go with them to Siberia?
This section contains 545 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)