|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Janina tell the bald man?
(a) Hitler is turning out to be worse than Stalin.
(b) Her family knows his son.
(c) Her family hid his daughter.
(d) Hitler might be killing Jews.
2. What does Andrius bring for Jonas?
(a) A can of orange juice.
(b) A can of pears.
(c) A can of tomatoes.
(d) A bottle of castor oil.
3. What payment does the bald man ask in return for revealing the secret?
(a) The use of her mittens for a few minutes.
(b) An extra ration for two days.
(c) The use of her ear muffs for a few minutes.
4. What does Elena have Lina take Mr. Stalas?
(a) A potato.
(b) A note.
(c) A beet.
(d) Some medicine.
5. What does Jonas give Andrius?
(a) A stone.
(b) A book.
(d) A knife.
6. What does Kretsky tell Elena?
(a) They need an artist.
(b) They are going to start killing the women.
(c) The Germans are getting closer.
(d) Russia is about to be invaded.
7. What does Lina say to Andrius as they wait for Elena to return?
(a) She wishes life were different for them.
(b) She is sorry about his mother.
(c) She wishes she could understand him better.
(d) She is sorry for misjuding him.
8. From what book of the Bible is there a reference in Mrs. Rimas' letter?
9. What is Lina doing when she sees her mother collapse?
(a) Working in the fields.
(b) Working on the assembly line.
(c) Smuggling food to an elderly woman.
(d) Stealing wood.
10. What does Lina find that she decides to smuggle back to camp?
(a) A dead wolverine.
(b) A dead rabbit.
(c) A live rabbit in a trap.
(d) A dead owl.
11. What does Lina learn when she works in the beet field?
(a) Many people eat the beets raw with dirt on them as they work.
(b) The soldiers are planning something.
(c) Many beets are left to rot in the field.
(d) Stealing a beet is very difficult.
12. What happens when Kretsky gets off the boat?
(a) He is ordered back on it.
(b) He is given new orders.
(c) He is shot.
(d) He is met by his sister.
13. When are the prisoners allowed to gather wood and other materials for their camp?
(b) All day.
(c) After working.
(d) When they have breaks during the day.
14. What surprises Lina one night when she turns sixteen?
(a) Kretsky brings a cake for her birthday.
(b) Elena gives Lina half the family's jfewels that are left.
(c) Andrius kisses Lina.
(d) A party in her honor.
15. Why does Elena think Kretsky was assigned to go with them to Siberia?
(a) For refusing to divulge information about his family.
(b) She has no idea.
(c) For helping the prisoners.
(d) For disobeying a lawful order.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lina give Andrius for Christmas?
2. What does Lina think of Andrius?
3. Why do the soldiers pay no attention to the prisoners?
4. What does Lina steal?
5. What does the doctor ask the bald man to do?
This section contains 549 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)