|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lina do the next time she sees Andrius?
(b) Blushes at his attentions.
(c) Thanks him for the extra food he brings.
(d) Tells him he does not look dirty or hungry.
2. What does Lina watch Mrs. Rimas do one day?
(a) Feed a pigeon a few crumbs of bread.
(b) Offer Jonas half of her bread ration.
(c) Whisper to a guard.
(d) Cram her entire ration of bread in her mouth at once.
3. What does Lina give Andrius for Christmas?
(a) A poem.
(c) The puppy she finds.
(d) A drawing.
4. About what does the commander renege?
(a) A promise of an increase in food allotments.
(b) A promise of less hours of work per day.
(c) A promise of freedom after the New Year.
(d) A promise of potatoes for the drawing.
5. What does Andrius bring for Jonas?
(a) A can of orange juice.
(b) A bottle of castor oil.
(c) A can of tomatoes.
(d) A can of pears.
6. What does one of the men insist is happening to the prisoners?
(a) They are going to work in Russian factories.
(b) They are being taken to America.
(c) They are going to be shot.
(d) They are going to be set free in Siberia.
7. Why are the prisoners forced to hide?
(a) A British ship arrives.
(b) A large group of German prisoners arrive.
(c) They are not forced to hide.
(d) An American ship arrives.
8. What do Lina and Jonas realize about their mother?
(a) She is giving the two of them most of her food rations.
(b) She has given up hope.
(c) She has withdrawn.
(d) She is secretly seeing the soldiers to beg for more supplies.
9. What does Elena learn that makes her collapse?
(a) That Jonas is being sent away.
(b) That Lina is being sent away.
(c) That they are going to be shot.
(d) That her husband has been killed in prison.
10. What does Lina steal?
(a) A few moldy potatoes.
(c) More beets.
(d) A few wilted vegetables.
11. Why is Lina embarrassed?
(a) The prisoners are given better food and many fight others for the food.
(b) The prisoners have to undres in front of the soldiers.
(c) She loses her head for a minute and cries in front of the soldiers.
(d) The prisoners are strip searched.
12. Why do the soldiers pay no attention to the prisoners?
(a) The soldiers have nice-looking town girls around them.
(b) The prisoners are so skinny as to be androgynous.
(c) Their commandant orders them to turn their heads.
(d) The soldiers know the prisoners can't escape.
13. What does Elena notice about Andrius and Lina?
(a) They seem to hate each other.
(b) They avoid each other.
(c) They are nicer to each other than they had been.
(d) They are getting close.
14. What do Andrius and his mother send?
(d) Egg Nog.
15. How does Lina's family get to their new destination?
(a) All the way on unheated military trucks.
(c) First by truck and then by train.
(d) On a train the whole way.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Ulyushka?
2. Who helps Lina after the soldiers try to frighten the women?
3. What does Jonas realize that evening when Elena and Lina return to the hut?
4. How does Mrs. Arvydas appear?
5. What do Lina and Elena stop doing?
This section contains 578 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)