|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What letter does Lina remember?
(a) One from her father.
(b) One from her uncle.
(c) One from Joana.
(d) One from her mother when she is at art camp.
2. What happens when Kretsky gets off the boat?
(a) He is met by his sister.
(b) He is given new orders.
(c) He is ordered back on it.
(d) He is shot.
3. What does Elena notice about Andrius and Lina?
(a) They seem to hate each other.
(b) They are getting close.
(c) They avoid each other.
(d) They are nicer to each other than they had been.
4. What are the prisoners told they have to do?
(a) Build their own shelters.
(b) Work in the weapons factory.
(d) Sign papers or they'll be shot.
5. What does Elena say in her letters?
(a) The soldiers beat them regularly.
(b) Code to express the conditions.
(c) Nothing; they are not allowed to write.
(d) The conditions are barbaric.
6. What does the mother of a girl who dies do?
(a) Jumps off the train when the girl's body is removed.
(b) Attacks a soldier.
(c) Attacks the doctor.
7. What do Andrius and his mother send?
(c) Egg Nog.
8. What does Jonas give Andrius?
(a) A stone.
(b) A knife.
(c) A book.
9. What does Mr. Lukas say is wrong with Jonas?
(a) He does not know.
(b) Scarlet Fever.
10. How much time has passed as Jonas is improving?
(a) 2 days.
(b) 1 month.
(c) 6 months.
(d) 2 weeks.
11. What does Janina tell the bald man?
(a) Hitler is turning out to be worse than Stalin.
(b) Her family hid his daughter.
(c) Hitler might be killing Jews.
(d) Her family knows his son.
12. What does Mrs. Rimas learn?
(a) That her son is able to get to England.
(b) That her daughter is able to get to England.
(c) That her husband has been shot.
(d) That her husband is still alive.
13. Who does Lina see outside when the train stops?
(a) Her father.
14. What does Andrius bring for Jonas?
(a) A can of pears.
(b) A can of tomatoes.
(c) A can of orange juice.
(d) A bottle of castor oil.
15. What interrupts the people's celebration?
(a) The arrival of guards.
(b) Andrius screaming.
(c) Lina finding a puppy.
(d) Jonas falling ill again.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lina say when Andrius asks her if she is scared as she is stealing logs?
2. Where has the boat crossed when the prisoners start getting excited that they are going to America?
3. What does Jonas realize that evening when Elena and Lina return to the hut?
4. What are the prisoners told?
5. Why do Elena and Jonas say Andrius is courageous?
This section contains 521 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)