|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Lina and Elena stop doing?
(a) Worrying about Jonas as he is better.
(b) Working in the fields.
(c) Talking to Mrs. Rimas.
(d) Asking for help.
2. What does Lina find that she decides to smuggle back to camp?
(a) A dead owl.
(b) A dead rabbit.
(c) A dead wolverine.
(d) A live rabbit in a trap.
3. What does one of the men insist is happening to the prisoners?
(a) They are going to be shot.
(b) They are being taken to America.
(c) They are going to be set free in Siberia.
(d) They are going to work in Russian factories.
4. Why can't Mr. Stalas work?
(a) He has a broken arm.
(b) He has bad back.
(c) He is ill.
(d) He has a broken leg.
5. What does Joana not understand about her father's actions?
(a) Why he said Lina could not go with them.
(b) Why he was so explosive in temperament.
(c) Why he would be packing up his medical books.
(d) Why he refused to let her go to school.
6. From what book of the Bible is there a reference in Mrs. Rimas' letter?
7. What payment does the bald man ask in return for revealing the secret?
(b) The use of her ear muffs for a few minutes.
(c) An extra ration for two days.
(d) The use of her mittens for a few minutes.
8. How do the women act the rest of the day after the soldiers try to scare them?
(a) They try to find some humor in the situation.
(b) They cry as they work.
(c) They mumble bad things about the soldiers.
(d) They do not speak.
9. Who does Lina see outside when the train stops?
(d) Her father.
10. What do Elena and Lina ask of the others?
(a) To cover for them in the fields so they can nurse Jonas.
(b) To try to find more fruit.
(c) To try to bribe the soldiers for citrus.
(d) To help provide extra food for Jonas.
11. What do Andrius and his mother send?
(a) Egg Nog.
12. What happens when Kretsky gets off the boat?
(a) He is met by his sister.
(b) He is given new orders.
(c) He is shot.
(d) He is ordered back on it.
13. When are the prisoners taken to the military office?
(a) In the middle of the night.
(b) Very early one morning.
(c) At their noon break.
(d) Right when they get off working.
14. What does Elena learn that makes her collapse?
(a) That her husband has been killed in prison.
(b) That Lina is being sent away.
(c) That they are going to be shot.
(d) That Jonas is being sent away.
15. What does Elena say in her letters?
(a) The soldiers beat them regularly.
(b) The conditions are barbaric.
(c) Code to express the conditions.
(d) Nothing; they are not allowed to write.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Lukas say is wrong with Jonas?
2. What is Trofimovsk?
3. What are the prisoners told they have to do?
4. Why is one man killed at the farm?
5. What does Jonas realize that evening when Elena and Lina return to the hut?
This section contains 562 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)