|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much time has passed as Jonas is improving?
(a) 1 month.
(b) 6 months.
(c) 2 days.
(d) 2 weeks.
2. What does Lina find that she decides to smuggle back to camp?
(a) A dead rabbit.
(b) A live rabbit in a trap.
(c) A dead owl.
(d) A dead wolverine.
3. What can Lina not get over?
(a) That the bald man would know about her family when she did not.
(b) That her family is there while Joana's family is comfortable in Germany.
(c) That Kretsky has been so kind.
(d) That Andrius did not come with them.
4. Why does Lina not go to find Jonas?
(a) She is told Jonas was taken to the hospital where she cannot go.
(b) Her mother said she is going to find him.
(c) She does not know where to look.
(d) The soldiers won't let her.
5. What does the mother of a girl who dies do?
(a) Attacks a soldier.
(c) Jumps off the train when the girl's body is removed.
(d) Attacks the doctor.
6. What is good about the time around Christmas?
(a) The administrator allows them to go into the village.
(b) The snow has abated somewhat.
(c) It is so cold, the guards don't venture out much.
(d) The people are feeling a little optimistic.
7. What do Lina and Elena stop doing?
(a) Talking to Mrs. Rimas.
(b) Working in the fields.
(c) Asking for help.
(d) Worrying about Jonas as he is better.
8. Why are the prisoners forced to hide?
(a) An American ship arrives.
(b) A British ship arrives.
(c) A large group of German prisoners arrive.
(d) They are not forced to hide.
9. How do the soldiers try to frighten the women?
(a) By kicking dirt on them and firing their weapons.
(b) By pointing their fingers and them and making a sign like pulling a trigger.
(c) By making them march all night around the farm.
(d) By screaming at them.
10. What does Jonas give Andrius?
(a) A stone.
(b) A knife.
(c) A book.
11. What does Lina think of Andrius?
(a) That he is dishonest.
(b) That he is kind.
(c) That he betrayed the other prisoners.
(d) That he is handsome.
12. What do the soldiers tell the woman who have been digging to do?
(a) Go back to their huts.
(b) Get into the hole.
(c) Cook the soldiers some food.
(d) Do the soldiers' laundry.
13. What do the soldiers start throwing in the dirt?
14. Why do the soldiers pay no attention to the prisoners?
(a) Their commandant orders them to turn their heads.
(b) The soldiers have nice-looking town girls around them.
(c) The prisoners are so skinny as to be androgynous.
(d) The soldiers know the prisoners can't escape.
15. Who is Ulyushka?
(a) The nurse who visits once a week.
(b) The old woman with whom Lina's family lives.
(c) The administrator of the farm.
(d) The doctor who visits once a month.
Short Answer Questions
1. About whom does Lina think as they are eating?
2. What does Jonas find?
3. What does everyone bring to the Christmas Eve celebration?
4. What does Elena say in her letters?
5. What does Lina learn when she works in the beet field?
This section contains 569 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)