|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the soldiers tell the woman who have been digging to do?
(a) Go back to their huts.
(b) Do the soldiers' laundry.
(c) Cook the soldiers some food.
(d) Get into the hole.
2. What does Lina do the next time she sees Andrius?
(b) Tells him he does not look dirty or hungry.
(c) Thanks him for the extra food he brings.
(d) Blushes at his attentions.
3. What does Elena learn that makes her collapse?
(a) That Lina is being sent away.
(b) That Jonas is being sent away.
(c) That her husband has been killed in prison.
(d) That they are going to be shot.
4. When are the prisoners taken to the military office?
(a) Very early one morning.
(b) Right when they get off working.
(c) At their noon break.
(d) In the middle of the night.
5. About what does the commander renege?
(a) A promise of freedom after the New Year.
(b) A promise of less hours of work per day.
(c) A promise of potatoes for the drawing.
(d) A promise of an increase in food allotments.
6. What is Mrs. Arvydas doing?
(a) Laughing with some of the soldiers.
(d) Begging for another potato.
7. What does Lina watch Mrs. Rimas do one day?
(a) Whisper to a guard.
(b) Feed a pigeon a few crumbs of bread.
(c) Cram her entire ration of bread in her mouth at once.
(d) Offer Jonas half of her bread ration.
8. What does the commander do for hours?
(a) Questions those who are to be transferred.
(b) Questions those who are to be released.
(c) Try to talk the prisoners into signing the document.
(d) Slaps and kicks the prisoners.
9. What does Lina learn when she works in the beet field?
(a) Many beets are left to rot in the field.
(b) Many people eat the beets raw with dirt on them as they work.
(c) The soldiers are planning something.
(d) Stealing a beet is very difficult.
10. How many people are in their group?
11. What are the prisoners told?
(a) They have to sign a document.
(b) Some of them are being transferred to another farm.
(c) The Germans have occupied their country.
(d) Some of them are being released.
12. About whom does Lina think as they are eating?
(b) Her father.
(d) Mr. Stalas.
13. Why can't Mr. Stalas work?
(a) He is ill.
(b) He has a broken leg.
(c) He has a broken arm.
(d) He has bad back.
14. Where has the boat crossed when the prisoners start getting excited that they are going to America?
(a) The Arctic Circle.
(b) They do not know where they are.
(c) The English Channel.
(d) The Black Sea.
15. What does Lina think of Andrius?
(a) That he betrayed the other prisoners.
(b) That he is dishonest.
(c) That he is kind.
(d) That he is handsome.
Short Answer Questions
1. What letter does Lina remember?
2. What happens when Kretsky gets off the boat?
3. Why are the prisoners forced to hide?
4. What does Lina wonder about the visitors?
5. What does the bald man reveal?
This section contains 580 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)