|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the soldiers try to frighten the women?
(a) By kicking dirt on them and firing their weapons.
(b) By pointing their fingers and them and making a sign like pulling a trigger.
(c) By making them march all night around the farm.
(d) By screaming at them.
2. What does the old bald man say about himself?
(a) That he is giving up.
(b) That he is withered.
(c) That he is going to get them out of there.
(d) That he is escaping.
3. What does Lina say when Andrius asks her if she is scared as she is stealing logs?
(a) She says she is simply cold.
(b) She says Kretsky gave her permissioni.
(c) She says the soldiers are too cold to come out and catch her.
(d) She says she does not care what happens.
4. Who is Ulyushka?
(a) The old woman with whom Lina's family lives.
(b) The administrator of the farm.
(c) The doctor who visits once a month.
(d) The nurse who visits once a week.
5. What does Lina think of Andrius?
(a) That he is kind.
(b) That he is handsome.
(c) That he is dishonest.
(d) That he betrayed the other prisoners.
6. What does a Siberian woman offer?
(a) A jar of peaches.
(b) A dose of vitamins.
(c) The makings of some tea to help Jonas.
(d) A fruit that only grows in that area.
7. What are the prisoners told they have to do?
(b) Work in the weapons factory.
(c) Build their own shelters.
(d) Sign papers or they'll be shot.
8. What does Lina learn when she works in the beet field?
(a) Many beets are left to rot in the field.
(b) Many people eat the beets raw with dirt on them as they work.
(c) The soldiers are planning something.
(d) Stealing a beet is very difficult.
9. What payment does the bald man ask in return for revealing the secret?
(b) The use of her mittens for a few minutes.
(c) An extra ration for two days.
(d) The use of her ear muffs for a few minutes.
10. What is Trofimovsk?
(a) A weapons manufacture complex.
(b) The camp where the prisoners arrive.
(c) A fairly new research facility.
(d) A new canning plant.
11. When are the prisoners taken to the military office?
(a) In the middle of the night.
(b) Right when they get off working.
(c) At their noon break.
(d) Very early one morning.
12. What does Lina learn about Jonas?
(a) He is very ill.
(b) He has escaped.
(c) He has been conscripted for Stalin's army.
(d) He has been injured.
13. What habit does Alexandras Lukas have?
(a) Winding his watch.
(b) Saying "alright."
(c) Running his hand through his hair.
(d) Clearing his throat.
14. What happens when Kretsky gets off the boat?
(a) He is ordered back on it.
(b) He is shot.
(c) He is met by his sister.
(d) He is given new orders.
15. What do the soldiers tell the woman who have been digging to do?
(a) Do the soldiers' laundry.
(b) Go back to their huts.
(c) Cook the soldiers some food.
(d) Get into the hole.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lina give Andrius for Christmas?
2. For what does Lina beg Kretsky?
3. Why is Lina embarrassed?
4. What does Elena say in her letters?
5. How is Andrius able to stay at the camp?
This section contains 622 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)