|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Elena have Lina take Mr. Stalas?
(a) Some medicine.
(b) A potato.
(c) A note.
(d) A beet.
2. How is Andrius able to stay at the camp?
(a) He pretends to be stupid.
(b) His mother prostitutes herself as a bribe.
(c) He does all the paperwork for the commandant.
(d) He prostitutes himself to the soldiers who like men.
3. What does Lina say when Andrius asks her if she is scared as she is stealing logs?
(a) She says she is simply cold.
(b) She says the soldiers are too cold to come out and catch her.
(c) She says Kretsky gave her permissioni.
(d) She says she does not care what happens.
4. Why are the prisoners given more food than usual?
(a) So they can work harder at their destination.
(b) They are not given more food.
(c) There is more available in this region.
(d) There is a new, more compassionate commandant.
5. What does Mrs. Rimas learn?
(a) That her daughter is able to get to England.
(b) That her husband has been shot.
(c) That her son is able to get to England.
(d) That her husband is still alive.
6. What happens when Kretsky gets off the boat?
(a) He is shot.
(b) He is ordered back on it.
(c) He is given new orders.
(d) He is met by his sister.
7. What payment does the bald man ask in return for revealing the secret?
(a) The use of her ear muffs for a few minutes.
(b) The use of her mittens for a few minutes.
(d) An extra ration for two days.
8. What does Lina wonder about the visitors?
(a) If they cared about what was happening in the camp.
(b) If they know what is going on in the camp.
(c) If they came to negotiate the prisoners' release.
(d) If they saw the signs of many people being there.
9. What are the prisoners told?
(a) The Germans have occupied their country.
(b) Some of them are being released.
(c) Some of them are being transferred to another farm.
(d) They have to sign a document.
10. What does Janina's mother almost do?
(a) Kills a soldier.
(b) Attacks a soldier.
(c) Kills Janina.
(d) Kills herself.
11. When are the prisoners taken to the military office?
(a) Right when they get off working.
(b) In the middle of the night.
(c) At their noon break.
(d) Very early one morning.
12. How does Mr. Stalas act toward Lina?
13. What does the old bald man say about himself?
(a) That he is going to get them out of there.
(b) That he is withered.
(c) That he is escaping.
(d) That he is giving up.
14. What do Lina and Elena stop doing?
(a) Asking for help.
(b) Working in the fields.
(c) Worrying about Jonas as he is better.
(d) Talking to Mrs. Rimas.
15. What does Jonas have that they try to keep from the Altai woman?
(a) 3 beets.
(b) A head of cabbage.
(c) A bunch of onions.
(d) 3 potatoes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What habit does Alexandras Lukas have?
2. What is Lina doing when she sees her mother collapse?
3. What does Kretsky tell Elena?
4. What are the prisoners told they have to do?
5. What is Lina going to be asked to do?
This section contains 583 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)