|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why are the prisoners forced to hide?
(a) They are not forced to hide.
(b) An American ship arrives.
(c) A large group of German prisoners arrive.
(d) A British ship arrives.
2. What does Lina find that she decides to smuggle back to camp?
(a) A live rabbit in a trap.
(b) A dead owl.
(c) A dead wolverine.
(d) A dead rabbit.
3. What has Andrius considered doing for his mother?
(a) Killing himself.
(b) Joining the army.
(c) Killing her.
(d) Trying to escape.
4. Where has the boat crossed when the prisoners start getting excited that they are going to America?
(a) The Black Sea.
(b) The Arctic Circle.
(c) The English Channel.
(d) They do not know where they are.
5. Who is Ulyushka?
(a) The doctor who visits once a month.
(b) The old woman with whom Lina's family lives.
(c) The nurse who visits once a week.
(d) The administrator of the farm.
6. What does the doctor ask the bald man to do?
(b) Gather more firewood.
(c) Help make some fish soup.
(d) Wipe down Jonas with warm water.
7. What do the soldiers start throwing in the dirt?
8. What does Janina's mother almost do?
(a) Kills Janina.
(b) Kills a soldier.
(c) Attacks a soldier.
(d) Kills herself.
9. What does Lina say when Andrius asks her if she is scared as she is stealing logs?
(a) She says Kretsky gave her permissioni.
(b) She says the soldiers are too cold to come out and catch her.
(c) She says she is simply cold.
(d) She says she does not care what happens.
10. What payment does the bald man ask in return for revealing the secret?
(b) The use of her ear muffs for a few minutes.
(c) The use of her mittens for a few minutes.
(d) An extra ration for two days.
11. What habit does Alexandras Lukas have?
(a) Running his hand through his hair.
(b) Clearing his throat.
(c) Winding his watch.
(d) Saying "alright."
12. Why does Elena think Kretsky was assigned to go with them to Siberia?
(a) For disobeying a lawful order.
(b) For helping the prisoners.
(c) For refusing to divulge information about his family.
(d) She has no idea.
13. What secret does the bald man tell Lina?
(a) That Lina's mother has been an undercover spy for years.
(b) That her parents helped Joana's family escape.
(c) That Andrius likes her.
(d) That Stalin made an agreement with the Lithuanian government.
14. What happens when Kretsky gets off the boat?
(a) He is ordered back on it.
(b) He is met by his sister.
(c) He is shot.
(d) He is given new orders.
15. What does Andrius bring for Jonas?
(a) A bottle of castor oil.
(b) A can of orange juice.
(c) A can of pears.
(d) A can of tomatoes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Joana not understand about her father's actions?
2. What is Lina going to be asked to do?
3. Who is Janina?
4. What does everyone bring to the Christmas Eve celebration?
5. What does the mother of a girl who dies do?
This section contains 563 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)