|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lina do the next time she sees Andrius?
(a) Blushes at his attentions.
(c) Tells him he does not look dirty or hungry.
(d) Thanks him for the extra food he brings.
2. About whom does Lina think as they are eating?
(a) Mr. Stalas.
(c) Her father.
3. Why do Elena and Jonas say Andrius is courageous?
(a) For sneaking out of the camp sometimes.
(b) For taking care of Mr. Stalas.
(c) For getting food for them on occasion.
(d) For standing up to the guards.
4. What is Lina going to be asked to do?
(a) Draw a map of the farm.
(b) Betray Andrius.
(c) Draw a portrait of the commander.
(d) Be the commander's secretary.
5. How is Andrius able to stay at the camp?
(a) He pretends to be stupid.
(b) He does all the paperwork for the commandant.
(c) He prostitutes himself to the soldiers who like men.
(d) His mother prostitutes herself as a bribe.
6. What does Elena say in her letters?
(a) Nothing; they are not allowed to write.
(b) Code to express the conditions.
(c) The conditions are barbaric.
(d) The soldiers beat them regularly.
7. What does Joana not understand about her father's actions?
(a) Why he refused to let her go to school.
(b) Why he was so explosive in temperament.
(c) Why he said Lina could not go with them.
(d) Why he would be packing up his medical books.
8. Where has the boat crossed when the prisoners start getting excited that they are going to America?
(a) They do not know where they are.
(b) The Black Sea.
(c) The Arctic Circle.
(d) The English Channel.
9. Who is Janina?
(a) A doctor who checks the passengers.
(b) A little girl who travels with them.
(c) A nurse who checks the passengers.
(d) A priest.
10. What do Andrius and his mother send?
(d) Egg Nog.
11. What do Lina and Jonas realize about their mother?
(a) She has withdrawn.
(b) She has given up hope.
(c) She is secretly seeing the soldiers to beg for more supplies.
(d) She is giving the two of them most of her food rations.
12. Why is one man killed at the farm?
(a) He tried to run away.
(b) He refused to work.
(c) He wrote a letter.
(d) He hit a guard.
13. What does Lina watch Mrs. Rimas do one day?
(a) Offer Jonas half of her bread ration.
(b) Whisper to a guard.
(c) Feed a pigeon a few crumbs of bread.
(d) Cram her entire ration of bread in her mouth at once.
14. What does Elena learn that makes her collapse?
(a) That they are going to be shot.
(b) That Jonas is being sent away.
(c) That Lina is being sent away.
(d) That her husband has been killed in prison.
15. What does the old bald man say about himself?
(a) That he is going to get them out of there.
(b) That he is escaping.
(c) That he is withered.
(d) That he is giving up.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much time has passed as Jonas is improving?
2. What do Elena and Lina ask of the others?
3. Why does Elena think Kretsky was assigned to go with them to Siberia?
4. Who helps Lina after the soldiers try to frighten the women?
5. Why do the soldiers pay no attention to the prisoners?
This section contains 605 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)