|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does everyone bring to the Christmas Eve celebration?
(a) A present for each other.
(d) Their family photos.
2. What has Andrius considered doing for his mother?
(a) Killing himself.
(b) Joining the army.
(c) Trying to escape.
(d) Killing her.
3. Why is Lina embarrassed?
(a) The prisoners are given better food and many fight others for the food.
(b) She loses her head for a minute and cries in front of the soldiers.
(c) The prisoners have to undres in front of the soldiers.
(d) The prisoners are strip searched.
4. What does Mr. Lukas say is wrong with Jonas?
(a) Scarlet Fever.
(d) He does not know.
5. How many people are in their group?
6. What is Trofimovsk?
(a) A new canning plant.
(b) A fairly new research facility.
(c) A weapons manufacture complex.
(d) The camp where the prisoners arrive.
7. What does Elena learn that makes her collapse?
(a) That they are going to be shot.
(b) That her husband has been killed in prison.
(c) That Jonas is being sent away.
(d) That Lina is being sent away.
8. What payment does the bald man ask in return for revealing the secret?
(b) The use of her mittens for a few minutes.
(c) The use of her ear muffs for a few minutes.
(d) An extra ration for two days.
9. What does Elena notice about Andrius and Lina?
(a) They are nicer to each other than they had been.
(b) They are getting close.
(c) They avoid each other.
(d) They seem to hate each other.
10. What do Lina and Jonas realize about their mother?
(a) She is giving the two of them most of her food rations.
(b) She has withdrawn.
(c) She has given up hope.
(d) She is secretly seeing the soldiers to beg for more supplies.
11. Why are the prisoners given more food than usual?
(a) There is more available in this region.
(b) There is a new, more compassionate commandant.
(c) They are not given more food.
(d) So they can work harder at their destination.
12. What does the doctor ask the bald man to do?
(b) Wipe down Jonas with warm water.
(c) Gather more firewood.
(d) Help make some fish soup.
13. What does Jonas give Andrius?
(a) A knife.
(b) A stone.
(d) A book.
14. What is Mrs. Arvydas doing?
(b) Begging for another potato.
(c) Laughing with some of the soldiers.
15. When are the prisoners taken to the military office?
(a) At their noon break.
(b) In the middle of the night.
(c) Right when they get off working.
(d) Very early one morning.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Andrius able to stay at the camp?
2. What have Andrius and his mother decided to do?
3. What does Lina say to Andrius as they wait for Elena to return?
4. What does the bald man reveal?
5. How does Mrs. Arvydas appear?
This section contains 529 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)