|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is one man killed at the farm?
(a) He tried to run away.
(b) He refused to work.
(c) He wrote a letter.
(d) He hit a guard.
2. How much time has passed as Jonas is improving?
(a) 2 weeks.
(b) 1 month.
(c) 6 months.
(d) 2 days.
3. How is Andrius able to stay at the camp?
(a) His mother prostitutes herself as a bribe.
(b) He does all the paperwork for the commandant.
(c) He pretends to be stupid.
(d) He prostitutes himself to the soldiers who like men.
4. Who is Janina?
(a) A doctor who checks the passengers.
(b) A priest.
(c) A nurse who checks the passengers.
(d) A little girl who travels with them.
5. Why do the soldiers pay no attention to the prisoners?
(a) The soldiers have nice-looking town girls around them.
(b) The soldiers know the prisoners can't escape.
(c) Their commandant orders them to turn their heads.
(d) The prisoners are so skinny as to be androgynous.
6. Why are the prisoners forced to hide?
(a) An American ship arrives.
(b) They are not forced to hide.
(c) A large group of German prisoners arrive.
(d) A British ship arrives.
7. What does a Siberian woman offer?
(a) A fruit that only grows in that area.
(b) A dose of vitamins.
(c) The makings of some tea to help Jonas.
(d) A jar of peaches.
8. What letter does Lina remember?
(a) One from her father.
(b) One from her mother when she is at art camp.
(c) One from Joana.
(d) One from her uncle.
9. What have Andrius and his mother decided to do?
(a) Kill themselves together.
(b) Use their privileges to gain food for the others.
(c) Escape together.
(d) Try to get a pardon.
10. How do the soldiers try to frighten the women?
(a) By kicking dirt on them and firing their weapons.
(b) By pointing their fingers and them and making a sign like pulling a trigger.
(c) By screaming at them.
(d) By making them march all night around the farm.
11. What does Elena have Lina take Mr. Stalas?
(a) A note.
(b) Some medicine.
(c) A potato.
(d) A beet.
12. What does the bald man reveal?
(a) He is Jewish.
(b) He is Buddhist.
(c) He is an agnostic.
(d) He is an atheist.
13. What does Lina learn when she works in the beet field?
(a) The soldiers are planning something.
(b) Stealing a beet is very difficult.
(c) Many people eat the beets raw with dirt on them as they work.
(d) Many beets are left to rot in the field.
14. What does Andrius tell Lina when she sees him as she leaves Mr. Stalas?
(a) The blond soldier's name.
(b) He is going to escape.
(c) His father is arriving the next day.
(d) His family has been pardoned.
15. What does Lina give Andrius for Christmas?
(a) A poem.
(b) A drawing.
(c) The puppy she finds.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when Kretsky gets off the boat?
2. What is Alexandras Lukas' job?
3. What does Lina find that she decides to smuggle back to camp?
4. What does Lina steal?
5. What habit does Alexandras Lukas have?
This section contains 533 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)