|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jonas have that they try to keep from the Altai woman?
(a) 3 potatoes.
(b) A head of cabbage.
(c) 3 beets.
(d) A bunch of onions.
2. Why is Lina embarrassed?
(a) The prisoners have to undres in front of the soldiers.
(b) The prisoners are strip searched.
(c) The prisoners are given better food and many fight others for the food.
(d) She loses her head for a minute and cries in front of the soldiers.
3. What do Lina and Elena stop doing?
(a) Worrying about Jonas as he is better.
(b) Working in the fields.
(c) Talking to Mrs. Rimas.
(d) Asking for help.
4. What is Mrs. Arvydas doing?
(b) Begging for another potato.
(d) Laughing with some of the soldiers.
5. What does Lina watch Mrs. Rimas do one day?
(a) Feed a pigeon a few crumbs of bread.
(b) Offer Jonas half of her bread ration.
(c) Cram her entire ration of bread in her mouth at once.
(d) Whisper to a guard.
6. What does the bald man reveal?
(a) He is Buddhist.
(b) He is Jewish.
(c) He is an atheist.
(d) He is an agnostic.
7. What does Lina give Andrius for Christmas?
(a) The puppy she finds.
(c) A poem.
(d) A drawing.
8. What does Lina say when Andrius asks her if she is scared as she is stealing logs?
(a) She says the soldiers are too cold to come out and catch her.
(b) She says she does not care what happens.
(c) She says Kretsky gave her permissioni.
(d) She says she is simply cold.
9. What interrupts the people's celebration?
(a) The arrival of guards.
(b) Jonas falling ill again.
(c) Andrius screaming.
(d) Lina finding a puppy.
10. What does one of the men insist is happening to the prisoners?
(a) They are being taken to America.
(b) They are going to be set free in Siberia.
(c) They are going to be shot.
(d) They are going to work in Russian factories.
11. What does Lina learn about Jonas?
(a) He is very ill.
(b) He has been injured.
(c) He has escaped.
(d) He has been conscripted for Stalin's army.
12. When are the prisoners taken to the military office?
(a) Very early one morning.
(b) In the middle of the night.
(c) Right when they get off working.
(d) At their noon break.
13. What does Jonas realize that evening when Elena and Lina return to the hut?
(a) Something has happened.
(b) They are happier.
(c) They are not hungry.
(d) They are laughing more.
14. What are the prisoners told they have to do?
(b) Build their own shelters.
(c) Work in the weapons factory.
(d) Sign papers or they'll be shot.
15. What does Lina find that she decides to smuggle back to camp?
(a) A dead wolverine.
(b) A live rabbit in a trap.
(c) A dead owl.
(d) A dead rabbit.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Alexandras Lukas' job?
2. What does Andrius tell Lina when she sees him as she leaves Mr. Stalas?
3. What does Lina wonder about the visitors?
4. Who is Ulyushka?
5. What does a Siberian woman offer?
This section contains 582 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)