|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Elena learn about Germany?
(a) They have invaded England.
(b) They have invaded Lithuania.
(c) They have surrendered.
(d) They have invaded Switzerland.
2. What do the women do to relieve stress?
(a) Try to use humor.
(c) Talk kindly with the guards.
3. What day does Lina recall as she is falling asleep?
(a) Her cat.
(b) The day the soldiers came.
(c) Her twelth birthday.
(d) The day she was accepted into the art program.
4. Who takes care of doing what has to be done concerning Ona's baby?
(a) Miss Grybas.
(d) The bald man.
5. What are the men in one car doing?
(b) Singing the Lithuanian national anthem.
(c) Fighting the soldiers.
6. How often does the train stop?
(b) Once every other day.
(c) Once a day.
(d) Once a week.
7. What do the train occupants do when it rains?
(a) Try to clean themselves.
(b) Huddle in one corner where there are no drips.
(c) Hold cups out to catch the water.
(d) Sing loudly to drone out the noise of the rain hitting the roof.
8. What does the bald man ask Jonas to do?
(a) Shoot him.
(b) Read to him.
(c) Smother him.
(d) Tell him a story.
9. What does Lina remember as her mother is donning her coat?
(a) The items sewn into the lining.
(b) Her cat.
(c) Her favorite doll.
(d) Her best friend's book.
10. For what does Elena pay a woman in the hut?
(a) For a potato and to use the stove.
(b) For bread.
(c) For some coffee.
(d) For information.
11. Who is Ona?
(a) The woman who just gave birth.
(b) The matron who is searching the female prisoners.
(c) The train's conductor.
(d) One of the soldiers.
12. What does Lina tell her mother about people in the other cars?
(a) Nothing as she can't see the others.
(b) They look like they are eating better.
(c) They look like they've given up hope.
(d) They look sick.
13. To what summer program did Lina once apply for entrance?
(a) Art program in Vilnius.
(b) Music school in Kuanas.
(c) Sports program.
(d) Art program in Minsk.
14. What month do the soldiers come to Lina's home?
15. Where does the train split off with the men?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lina's mother do with the family photos?
2. What does Elena give the bald man?
3. Why are two of the prisoners in danger?
4. What does Ona do when they are loaded back on the trucks?
5. What is Jonas afraid of at one point?
This section contains 487 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)