Chapters 1 through 11
1. What is Lina thinking about at the opening of the novel?
(a) The time leading up to being taken prisoner.
(b) Her fifteenth birthday.
(c) The way her father overprotected her.
(d) The time her brother drowned.
2. What does Lina's mother do with their best jewelry?
(a) Hides it in the cellar.
(b) Buries it in the backyard.
(c) Gives it to Christian neighbors for safekeeping.
(d) Sews it into the linings of the coats.
3. What does Lina's mother do with the family photos?
(a) Burns them.
(b) Puts them in the hat bands.
(c) Mail them to relatives in Poland.
(d) Mail them to relatives in the United States.
4. What does Lina realize about her parents' plans?
(a) To hide among Christian friends.
(b) That they had made no plans.
(c) To escape the country.
(d) To appeal to Stalin for clemency.
5. What month do the soldiers come to Lina's home?
This section contains 5,060 words
(approx. 17 pages at 300 words per page)