Chapters 1 through 11
• Lina is looking back in time to the events leading up to her being taken prisoner. She says she saw signs that something was happening.
• Her mother had sewn her best jewelry into her coat and burned the family photos. Lina realizes her parents intended to escape the country.
• They were arrested before they could get out. Lina was already dressed for bed when the soldiers pounded on the door.
• They are given twenty minutes to pack and Lina obeys the directions her mother, Elena gives her. Jonas, Lina's younger brother is also told to pack.
• Jonas has trouble carrying the large suitcase Elena packs for him but he does it without complaint. Lina's mother is putting on her coat and Lina remembers the jewelry.
• Lina complains loudly about having to go to the bathroom to distract the soldiers from watching her mother. Lina is told...
This section contains 3,458 words
(approx. 12 pages at 300 words per page)