|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What symbolic object is noted in the setting for Act 2, Scene 1?
2. What is Junior doing in the opening of Act 2, Scene 4?
3. What objects are noted in the setting for Act 2, Scene 2?
4. Who does Pops tell Junior to call in Act 2, Scene 2?
5. What are strewn about the room in the opening of Act 2, Scene 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the setting described for Act 2, Scene 2?
2. When and where do the stage directions indicate Act 2, Scene 4 begins?
3. What is symbolized by Pops's departure in the end of Act 2, Scene 4?
4. How is the Church Lady described in stage directions?
5. What will Pops receive if he signs the non-disclosure agreement to settle his lawsuit in Act 2, Scene 3?
6. What simile does Lulu use to describe her love for Junior in Act 1, Scene 4?
7. What is the main stipulation surrounding Pops's lawsuit?
8. What is the time frame of Act 1, Scene 4 in relation to the scenes around it?
9. How does Junior describe his relationship with his mother in Act 2, Scene 2?
10. How does the playwright indicate the transition between the scene with Junior, Lulu, and Oswaldo to the scene with Pops and the Church Lady in Act 2, Scene 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the character of Pops as the protagonist of Between Riverside and Crazy. What are Pops's circumstances in the beginning of the play? How do those circumstances change? How does Pops's character evolve in the course of the play?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the plot structure of Between Riverside and Crazy. Where in the narrative does the exposition transition into rising action? Where is the climax of the plot? What is revealed in the play's falling action and denouement?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of parent-child relationships in Between Riverside and Crazy. How is this theme developed through character? How is the theme developed through setting, symbolism, and imagery?
This section contains 734 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)