|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the gorilla order at the bar in the joke from Act 1, Scene 3?
2. What is the punchline of the gorilla joke in Act 1, Scene 3?
3. Against what/whom has Pops been involved in a lawsuit?
4. What symbolic image is described in the room in the stage directions for Act 1, Scene 3?
5. What character in the play is described as a recovering alcoholic?
Short Essay Questions
1. What promise does Pops make to Lulu in Act 1, Scene 2?
2. Who is Oswaldo and how would you describe his relationship with Pops in Act 1, Scene 1?
3. What is revealed about Junior's past in Act 1, Scene 1?
4. What joke does Lieutenant Caro relate in the opening of Act 1, Scene 3?
5. Why does Pops ask for the butter knife in the end of Act 1, Scene 1?
6. Why is Pops' dog significant in Act 1, Scene 1?
7. What is the status of Pops's family at the opening of the play?
8. What are the circumstances of Pops' dispute with his landlord?
9. How does Pops describe Lulu when discussing her with Oswaldo in Act 1, Scene 1?
10. What are Pops and Lulu doing in the opening of Act 1, Scene 2? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What implications do Caro and O'Connor make regarding Junior, Oswaldo, and Lulu when they confront Pops about his lawsuit? Do you think these implications are true? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of parent-child relationships in Between Riverside and Crazy. How is this theme developed through character? How is the theme developed through setting, symbolism, and imagery?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the character of the Church Lady in Between Riverside and Crazy. How is the Church Lady's appearance described? Where is she from? What are her objectives in the narrative?
This section contains 695 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)