|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What activity does O'Connor suggest Lulu is engaging in, in Act 1, Scene 3?
2. How does Lieutenant Caro describe his current situation at work in Act 1, Scene 3?
3. What was the name of Pops's wife?
4. What does Pops ask Oswaldo for in the end of Act 1, Scene 1?
5. What season is described in the opening stage directions for Act 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the circumstances of Pops' dispute with his landlord?
2. What does the knife story reveal about Pops's character in Act 1, Scene 3?
3. Who is Oswaldo and how would you describe his relationship with Pops in Act 1, Scene 1?
4. What joke does Lieutenant Caro relate in the opening of Act 1, Scene 3?
5. What are the main details of the lawsuit Pops is involved with?
6. What is significant about the nicknames characters use to refer to Pops in the play?
7. What is significant about the objects that Junior is carrying when he enters in Act 1, Scene 1?
8. How is Pops's race a factor in his circumstances with his former job?
9. Why is Pops' dog significant in Act 1, Scene 1?
10. How does Lulu respond when Pops asks her about getting a job in Act 1, Scene 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of parent-child relationships in Between Riverside and Crazy. How is this theme developed through character? How is the theme developed through setting, symbolism, and imagery?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Pops' ongoing civil lawsuit in Between Riverside and Crazy. What are the circumstances of the lawsuit? For how long has the suit been awaiting settlement? What obstacles does Pops face with the settlement?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of justice in Between Riverside and Crazy. How does the playwright develop this theme through setting and imagery in the play? How does the theme relate to character? What symbolism relates to this theme?
This section contains 729 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)