|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what kind of doctor does Pops say he is going to take Lulu when she confesses she is pregnant in Act 1, Scene 2?
2. What was the name of Pops's wife?
3. Who played Oswaldo in the original production of Between Riverside and Crazy?
4. Why does Pops refuse to take rent money from Oswaldo in Act 1, Scene 1?
5. How did Caro get the money to purchase an engagement ring?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Pops' dog significant in Act 1, Scene 1?
2. How is the setting described in the stage directions for the opening of Act 1, Scene 3?
3. What does Caro insinuate about Junior, Lulu, and Oswaldo in Act 1, Scene 3?
4. What is the relationship between Pops and Detective O'Connor?
5. How is Lulu's character introduced? What do the stage directions indicate regarding Lulu's appearance?
6. How is Pops' apartment described in the stage directions for Act 1?
7. What promise does Pops make to Lulu in Act 1, Scene 2?
8. What does the knife story reveal about Pops's character in Act 1, Scene 3?
9. Who is Oswaldo and how would you describe his relationship with Pops in Act 1, Scene 1?
10. Why do O'Connor and Caro attempt to convince Pops to drop the lawsuit in Act 1, Scene 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Detective O'Connor and what is her relationship to Pops? What appears to be O'Connor's main objective in the story? Does she achieve that objective? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of race in Between Riverside and Crazy. How does the author manifest this theme through character and setting? What symbolism and imagery relate to this theme? How does setting connect to this theme?
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of the dead Christmas tree that is described in the stage directions for several scenes? What do you think this object symbolizes? Why?
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)