|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Pops refuse to take rent money from Oswaldo in Act 1, Scene 1?
2. What is Pops' response when Lulu tells him in Act 1, Scene 2, "I really appreciate you taking me in, Dad" (15)?
3. Why is Pops having a dispute with his landlord?
4. When do the stage directions indicate that Pops's wife died?
5. What is the setting established for Act 1, Scene 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lulu "confess" to Pops in Act 1, Scene 2? How does he respond?
2. How does Lulu respond when Pops asks her about getting a job in Act 1, Scene 2?
3. How is the setting described in the stage directions for the opening of Act 1, Scene 3?
4. How is the setting described for Act 1, Scene 2?
5. How did Caro obtain the money for the engagement ring? How much did it cost?
6. How would you describe Junior's behavior in the first half of Act 1, Scene 3?
7. What does the knife story reveal about Pops's character in Act 1, Scene 3?
8. Why is Pops involved with Lubenthal and Lubenthal?
9. How is Pops' apartment described in the stage directions for Act 1?
10. What is the status of Pops's family at the opening of the play?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the plot structure of Between Riverside and Crazy. Where in the narrative does the exposition transition into rising action? Where is the climax of the plot? What is revealed in the play's falling action and denouement?
Essay Topic 2
Why is the box that Junior enters with in Act 1, Scene 1 noteworthy? What does the box represent? Does the playwright reveal what is inside the box? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Pops's relationship with Junior in Between Riverside and Crazy. Do they have a close relationship? What tensions arise or emerge in their relationship? Are these tensions or conflicts resolved?
This section contains 769 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)