|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What had the perp who told the gorilla joke been arrested for?
2. The stage directions in the play's opening describe Pops's home as "a rent-controlled Palace ruled by" what (4)?
3. What did Pops give to the man with the knife in his head on the way to the hospital, according to the story in Act 1, Scene 3?
4. With whom does Lulu say she has an understanding in Act 1, Scene 2?
5. Who are the lawyers that Pops has hired in Act 1, Scene 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the circumstances of Pops' dispute with his landlord?
2. Why do O'Connor and Caro attempt to convince Pops to drop the lawsuit in Act 1, Scene 3?
3. How is the setting described in the stage directions for the opening of Act 1, Scene 3?
4. What are Pops and Lulu doing in the opening of Act 1, Scene 2? Why?
5. How would you describe Junior's behavior in the first half of Act 1, Scene 3?
6. What is the status of Pops's family at the opening of the play?
7. What does the wheelchair symbolically represent in the play?
8. How is Pops' apartment described in the stage directions for Act 1?
9. What does Lulu "confess" to Pops in Act 1, Scene 2? How does he respond?
10. How is Pops's race a factor in his circumstances with his former job?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What implications do Caro and O'Connor make regarding Junior, Oswaldo, and Lulu when they confront Pops about his lawsuit? Do you think these implications are true? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Lieutenant Caro and what is his relationship with Pops in the play? What is Caro's main objective in the story? Does he achieve that objective? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the conflict between Pops and Oswaldo in the end of Act 1. What leads up to this conflict? Is the conflict resolved in the scene? Why or why not?
This section contains 750 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)