|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the doctor in the building that Pops insists in taking Lulu to see in Act 1, Scene 2?
2. What did the repeat offender for public masturbation do with the card that Pops gave to him?
3. What did Pops give to the man with the knife in his head on the way to the hospital, according to the story in Act 1, Scene 3?
4. How much money does the bartender charge the gorilla for his drink in the joke from Act 1, Scene 3?
5. Who gave Pops the dog?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Lulu's character introduced? What do the stage directions indicate regarding Lulu's appearance?
2. How is Pops's race a factor in his circumstances with his former job?
3. What is significant about the objects that Junior is carrying when he enters in Act 1, Scene 1?
4. What is the relationship between Pops and Detective O'Connor?
5. Who is Oswaldo and how would you describe his relationship with Pops in Act 1, Scene 1?
6. Why is Pops involved with Lubenthal and Lubenthal?
7. Why is Pops' dog significant in Act 1, Scene 1?
8. How did Caro obtain the money for the engagement ring? How much did it cost?
9. How does Lulu respond when Pops asks her about getting a job in Act 1, Scene 2?
10. What does the knife story reveal about Pops's character in Act 1, Scene 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the conflict between Pops and Oswaldo in the end of Act 1. What leads up to this conflict? Is the conflict resolved in the scene? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
What information does Lulu reveal to Pops in Act 1, Scene 2? Why is this information significant to the plot of the story? How does Pops respond to the information that Lulu reveals?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of justice in Between Riverside and Crazy. How does the playwright develop this theme through setting and imagery in the play? How does the theme relate to character? What symbolism relates to this theme?
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)