|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who tells the joke about the gorilla in Act 1, Scene 3?
2. What does Lulu say she is going to be someday in Act 1, Scene 2?
3. What does Caro tell Pops in order to diffuse their conflict in Act 1, Scene 3?
4. How does Lieutenant Caro describe his current situation at work in Act 1, Scene 3?
5. What objective does Pops accuse O'Connor and Caro of having in their action of trying to convince him against his pursuit with the city in Act 1, Scene 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Caro insinuate about Junior, Lulu, and Oswaldo in Act 1, Scene 3?
2. How does Pops describe Lulu when discussing her with Oswaldo in Act 1, Scene 1?
3. Why is Pops involved with Lubenthal and Lubenthal?
4. How is Lulu's character introduced? What do the stage directions indicate regarding Lulu's appearance?
5. What is the relationship between Pops and Detective O'Connor?
6. What is significant about the objects that Junior is carrying when he enters in Act 1, Scene 1?
7. Why does Junior criticize his father when he enters in Act 1, Scene 1?
8. How does Lulu respond when Pops asks her about getting a job in Act 1, Scene 2?
9. What joke does Lieutenant Caro relate in the opening of Act 1, Scene 3?
10. What does the wheelchair symbolically represent in the play?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why is the box that Junior enters with in Act 1, Scene 1 noteworthy? What does the box represent? Does the playwright reveal what is inside the box? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the plot structure of Between Riverside and Crazy. Where in the narrative does the exposition transition into rising action? Where is the climax of the plot? What is revealed in the play's falling action and denouement?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Pops' ongoing civil lawsuit in Between Riverside and Crazy. What are the circumstances of the lawsuit? For how long has the suit been awaiting settlement? What obstacles does Pops face with the settlement?
This section contains 784 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)