|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Betsey decide she wants to marry?
2. What happens to the children as an effect of the chores Carrie has them doing?
3. Which word best describes the conversation Carrie has with Betsey in Chapter 13?
4. What is clear about Jane when she has a conversation with Betsey in Chapter 13?
5. What does Greer spend his morning doing in Chapter 10?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the story there are several references to musicians, poets, and other elements of culture for the time period. What effect do these elements have? Why do you think the author chose to include these references?
Essay Topic 2
What is the role of each housekeeper (Bernice, Regina, and Carrie) on the Brown family? How do they change the family? Is she a positive or negative influence on the family? How does the reader know this?
Essay Topic 3
Each person in the Brown family has their own distinct role in the family unit. Analyze each character's or group of characters' role in the family. For example, how does Jane contribute to the success of the family? How does she cause conflict? Analyze the ways in which the other characters do this as well.
This section contains 249 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)