|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Betsey think would make her feel better?
2. According to the children, how might Carrie be described?
3. During the talk in Chapter 13, who does Betsey see outside?
4. What does Betsey declare herself of the Veiled Prophet Parade?
5. What is clear about Jane when she has a conversation with Betsey in Chapter 13?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Which character undergoes the biggest transformation in the story? What transforms them? What other characters are involved in the change? How do others react to the changes? Are they for the better? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
In the story there are several references to musicians, poets, and other elements of culture for the time period. What effect do these elements have? Why do you think the author chose to include these references?
Essay Topic 3
Susan Linda's mother is the first racist character that is introduced in the story. How does this set up prejudice as a theme in the story? What does Betsey think about Susan Linda's mother's prejudice? Why does she feel detached from it? What other instances of racism does Betsey feel detached from?
This section contains 242 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)