|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Jane sees Betsey in Chapter 9, what does she see in her?
2. What is the topic of the conversation Jane has with Betsey in Chapter 13?
3. Who teaches the Brown children to iron and sew?
4. According to Betsey, who does nobody ever insult?
5. What is Carrie doing when Betsey comes home from school crying?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What effect does diction (word choice) have on the story? Does it make sense that the author's method of conveying a message is more important than the message itself? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
How do the children blossom when Jane is gone? How does she react to seeing this? How does this leas to her talking to Betsey about sex?
Essay Topic 3
What types of prejudice occur in the book Betsey Brown? How does Betsey begin as unaware and become aware of these issues? How do both types of prejudice relate to Betsey and her family and friends? What does Betsey learn as a result?
This section contains 207 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)