|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is there a piece of at the Brown's home that Carrie left?
2. To Carrie, what can ruin clear thinking?
3. What is the name of the poet Betsey wanted to write about at school?
4. What does Carrie do that surprises Betsey?
5. Which character does not trust Carrie?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Brown family home is extremely chaotic. How is this represented in the author's work? Analyze the plot of the story as well as Shange's diction, syntax, tone, and point of view and the ways in which they apply to the overall theme of chaos. What effect does chaos have on the reader?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Betsey become the self-proclaimed "Negro Queen of the Veiled Prophet Parade"? What does Betsey mean in doing so? What does it represent in a view of society?
Essay Topic 3
How does Jane's absence compare to Betsey's running away? What reason do each of them have in doing so? Is one more justified than the other? Why or why not?
This section contains 230 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)