|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Betsey decide to march?
2. How does Greer comfort himself in Chapter 9?
3. What is the purpose of Chapter 13?
4. Who sleeps in Vida's bed out of loneliness and fear?
5. What does Betsey think would make her feel better?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What elements of foreshadowing are present in the story? What is foreshadowing's purpose in this story?
Essay Topic 2
In what way do some of the events in the Brown household parallel actual events in the 1950's and 1960's? Look at school segregation, for example. What occurs in Betsey's home that represents the segregation occurring in reality? Why do you think the author chose to represent these historical events in this way?
Essay Topic 3
Why is it ironic for Carrie to teach the Brown children manners and domestic chores? What does this tell the reader about the Brown family?
This section contains 212 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)