|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Greer bring up the demonstration?
2. Where is Roscoe in Chapter 8?
3. Who comforts Vida in Chapter 9?
4. What does Betsey move because she misses her mom too much?
5. Which word best describes the conversation Carrie has with Betsey in Chapter 13?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Betsey become the self-proclaimed "Negro Queen of the Veiled Prophet Parade"? What does Betsey mean in doing so? What does it represent in a view of society?
Essay Topic 2
In the story there are several references to musicians, poets, and other elements of culture for the time period. What effect do these elements have? Why do you think the author chose to include these references?
Essay Topic 3
How does the author use dialect to convey a message about the characters? What message is conveyed? Why is dialect important to the story? Would the quality of literature change if the unique dialect were stripped from the story?
This section contains 199 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)