|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Carrie tell Betsey she should do in Chapter 12?
2. What does Betsey dream of being in Chapter 14?
3. To Jane, what is a symbol of harm?
4. Who grieves the most that Carrie is not working for the Brown's anymore?
5. What does Vida think Carrie is?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Jane's absence compare to Betsey's running away? What reason do each of them have in doing so? Is one more justified than the other? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Betsey become the self-proclaimed "Negro Queen of the Veiled Prophet Parade"? What does Betsey mean in doing so? What does it represent in a view of society?
Essay Topic 3
What types of prejudice occur in the book Betsey Brown? How does Betsey begin as unaware and become aware of these issues? How do both types of prejudice relate to Betsey and her family and friends? What does Betsey learn as a result?
This section contains 207 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)