|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Charlotte Anne?
2. What type of prejudice is introduced in Chapter 4?
3. What is the prize for the elocution contest?
4. What is Betsey's hiding place?
5. Who is Greer?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Greer stop doing quizzes and drumming?
2. What does Betsey think about love?
3. Describe Betsey as the reader is introduced to her.
4. What foreshadowing is present in Chapter 12?
5. What is Betsey's life goal?
6. Why and how has Jane sheltered her children?
7. What is Jane's reaction to Carrie not showing up for work?
8. How does Carrie incite change in the Brown family?
9. How does Veejay define prejudice?
10. What does Carrie convince Betsey to do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Brown family home is extremely chaotic. How is this represented in the author's work? Analyze the plot of the story as well as Shange's diction, syntax, tone, and point of view and the ways in which they apply to the overall theme of chaos. What effect does chaos have on the reader?
Essay Topic 2
What is Carrie's role in the story? What does Carrie do to either please or anger the family? What opinions does the family have of her, and why? How does this change the family dynamic in the home?
Essay Topic 3
What is the role of each housekeeper (Bernice, Regina, and Carrie) on the Brown family? How do they change the family? Is she a positive or negative influence on the family? How does the reader know this?
This section contains 651 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)