|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Betsey dance to in Chapter 7?
2. Who does Betsey have a crush on?
3. Who puts out a fire that Allard starts?
4. In Chapter 5, where does Betsey sit when she thinks about school integration?
5. What does Betsey adorn herself with in Chapter 7?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Jane's reaction to Bernice appearing?
2. Describe Susan Linda and her home.
3. What foreshadowing is present in Chapter 12?
4. How does Jane's talk differ from Carrie's talk?
5. How does Betsey feel about school integration?
6. Describe Betsey's mother, Jane.
7. In chapter 12, what revelation does Vida have about Carrie?
8. What does Mrs. Maureen say about segregation, and what do her beliefs represent?
9. Why does Jane enjoy the neighborhood that she lives in?
10. What is Betsey's life goal?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the role of each housekeeper (Bernice, Regina, and Carrie) on the Brown family? How do they change the family? Is she a positive or negative influence on the family? How does the reader know this?
Essay Topic 2
What effect does diction (word choice) have on the story? Does it make sense that the author's method of conveying a message is more important than the message itself? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Which character undergoes the biggest transformation in the story? What transforms them? What other characters are involved in the change? How do others react to the changes? Are they for the better? Why or why not?
This section contains 663 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)