|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Betsey adorn herself with in Chapter 7?
2. What do Regina and Roscoe do that makes Betsey believe they are very much in love?
3. After Eugene leaves in Chapter 4, how does Betsey feel?
4. Who does Vida shout at in Chapter 6?
5. What is the class learning about in geography on Betsey's first day at the new school?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Jane's reaction to Carrie not showing up for work?
2. How do Jane and Vida feel about segregation?
3. How does Jane react to Greer's request to take the children to a demonstration?
4. What types of prejudice have been introduced in the story as of Chapter 4? Give a specific example of each.
5. How do the children react to Jane's absence?
6. What kind of connection does Betsey have with Regina in Chapter 8?
7. Why does Greer stop doing quizzes and drumming?
8. Describe Betsey as the reader is introduced to her.
9. How does Betsey feel when she is on the boulevard?
10. Describe the Brown family in the first chapter.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the story there are several references to musicians, poets, and other elements of culture for the time period. What effect do these elements have? Why do you think the author chose to include these references?
Essay Topic 2
What finally makes Betsey feel as if she belongs in her family? Who makes her feel special? How does her family change to accommodate her? What final thoughts does she have as the story closes?
Essay Topic 3
How does Jane's absence compare to Betsey's running away? What reason do each of them have in doing so? Is one more justified than the other? Why or why not?
This section contains 696 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)