|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What punishment do the policemen give in Chapter 2?
2. What does Allard threaten to do to people who bother him at school?
3. What magazine does Greer often read?
4. What silent pact do Greer and Jane have with each other?
5. How many policemen does Betsey see coming up to her house in Chapter 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why and how has Jane sheltered her children?
2. Why does Jane feel subordinate in her own home whens he returns?
3. Describe Betsey as the reader is introduced to her.
4. Describe the circumstances surrounding Betsey's first kiss.
5. How does Jane's talk differ from Carrie's talk?
6. How is it demonstrated that Betsey's childhood is falling away?
7. Describe Betsey's mother, Jane.
8. What is Jane's reaction to Bernice appearing?
9. Why does Jane enjoy the neighborhood that she lives in?
10. Why does Betsey feel that her runaway name should be Cora Sue Betsey Anne Calhoun Brown? Where does she get this name?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What types of prejudice occur in the book Betsey Brown? How does Betsey begin as unaware and become aware of these issues? How do both types of prejudice relate to Betsey and her family and friends? What does Betsey learn as a result?
Essay Topic 2
What elements of foreshadowing are present in the story? What is foreshadowing's purpose in this story?
Essay Topic 3
The Brown family home is extremely chaotic. How is this represented in the author's work? Analyze the plot of the story as well as Shange's diction, syntax, tone, and point of view and the ways in which they apply to the overall theme of chaos. What effect does chaos have on the reader?
This section contains 726 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)