|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What helps Betsey break into her new class successfully?
2. Who does Betsey want to apologize to in Chapter 4?
3. What does Bernice reveal to Jane?
4. What is the class learning about in geography on Betsey's first day at the new school?
5. What is it that Greer believes his wife has?
Short Essay Questions
1. What interests Betsey the most about Regina?
2. What does Jane fear will happen at the demonstration?
3. How does the family dynamic change when Betsey is gone?
4. Describe Betsey's mother, Jane.
5. Describe Betsey as the reader is introduced to her.
6. Describe Betsey's father, Greer.
7. What makes Betsey feel good about herself?
8. Why and how has Jane sheltered her children?
9. How does Betsey feel about school integration?
10. What does Carrie convince Betsey to do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do the children blossom when Jane is gone? How does she react to seeing this? How does this leas to her talking to Betsey about sex?
Essay Topic 2
What is the role of each housekeeper (Bernice, Regina, and Carrie) on the Brown family? How do they change the family? Is she a positive or negative influence on the family? How does the reader know this?
Essay Topic 3
Which character undergoes the biggest transformation in the story? What transforms them? What other characters are involved in the change? How do others react to the changes? Are they for the better? Why or why not?
This section contains 684 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)