|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the prize for the elocution contest?
(a) An A on a paper.
(b) Free lunch.
(d) A field trip.
2. What instrument does Greer use to gather the children in the morning?
(a) Conga drum.
(b) Electric guitar.
(d) Bass drum.
3. Where is Betsey's hiding place located?
(a) At school.
(b) Outside her bedroom window.
(c) On the neighbor's property.
(d) At the beauty salon.
4. Who are the police escorting in Chapter 2?
(a) Betsey's two younger sisters.
(b) Allard and Roscoe.
(d) Charlie and Allard.
5. What is Jane's occupation?
(c) Social worker.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of trouble does Allard get into in Chapter 1?
2. Who is Vida?
3. What causes Vida to dislike Bernice immediately?
4. Who prompts Betsey to believe that there is never enough when it comes to love?
5. Where does Jane spend time?
Short Essay Questions
1. What types of prejudice have been introduced in the story as of Chapter 4? Give a specific example of each.
2. How does Jane react to Greer's request to take the children to a demonstration?
3. How does Betsey view black children in comparison to white children?
4. What does Mrs. Maureen say about segregation, and what do her beliefs represent?
5. How is it shown that Betsey's sexuality is blossoming?
6. Why does Bernice reveal Betsey's hiding place?
7. How does Veejay define prejudice?
8. What is strange about Carrie?
9. Describe Betsey's first day at the "white school."
10. What does Jane fear will happen at the demonstration?
This section contains 641 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)