|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many buses does Betsey have to take to get to her school?
2. In Chapter 4, which of the following occurs?
(a) Betsey gets a job.
(b) The family hires a new housekeeper.
(c) Betsey is asked out on a date.
(d) Betsey has her first kiss.
3. In what year does the story take place?
4. Who does Vida shout at in Chapter 6?
5. What is the name of the girl who points out prejudice for the first time at Betsey's school?
(b) Susan Linda.
(c) Jane Sommers.
(d) Charlotte Anne.
6. What causes Vida to dislike Bernice immediately?
(a) Her teeth.
(b) Her personality.
(c) Her education.
(d) Her hair.
7. To Vida, what does Regina represent?
8. Why does Betsey create the hopscotch board?
(a) To play with.
(b) Her mother told her to.
(c) She was dared to do it.
9. What does Betsey often think about?
(a) Whether or not her mother actually loves her.
(d) Household chores.
10. Who is the first person to address Betsey on her first day at her new school?
(a) The teacher.
(b) A girl who wants to learn to jump rope.
(c) A boy who teases her on the bus.
(d) A girl playing hopscotch.
11. What is the name of Betsey's teacher at her segregated school?
(a) Mrs. Regina.
(b) Mrs. Mitchell.
(c) Mrs. Cora.
(d) Mrs. Maureen.
12. Who fires Regina?
13. Who does Betsey help from slipping in the kitchen?
14. Where is Betsey's hiding place located?
(a) Outside her bedroom window.
(b) At school.
(c) On the neighbor's property.
(d) At the beauty salon.
15. What kind of poem are two girls in Betsey's class practicing?
(a) A poem by a black man.
(b) A poem her father wrote.
(c) A racy poem.
(d) A Shakespearean sonnet.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the reader learn about Veejay in Chapter 4?
2. What does Vida confiscate from Charlie?
3. What was the result of Charlie getting kicked out of school?
4. Who does Betsey want to apologize to in Chapter 4?
5. What helps Betsey break into her new class successfully?
This section contains 387 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)