• The Brown family lives in a middle-class neighborhood in St. Louis, and the story takes place in fall of 1959.
• Betsey is 13-years-old and feels different from the rest of her family.
• The Brown home is hectic and chaotic; it's home to 2 parents, 1 grandparent, and 5 children.
• Greer is Betsey's dad, a doctor, and Jane is Betsey's mother, a social worker.
• Betsey's goal is to win an elocution contest.
• Betsey practices her elocution on the way to class.
• Betsey has a crush on Eugene, a basketball player.
• Betsey wins the elocution contest and wins a bouquet of red roses.
• Susan Linda's mom is the first prejudiced character the reader is introduced to.
• Allard and Charlie are escorted home by the police for trespassing and are given a warning.
• Jane confronts Greer about not being a disciplinarian.
• Bernice Calhoun shows up and offers to be a housekeeper.
This section contains 652 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)