|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the Kitty Fea?
2. What is Thorfinn given in the prison camp to help him write?
3. What does Thorfinn see, climbing hill Fea against the blue and white of the sky, in chapter 5?
4. Where does Thorfinn see peat smoke rising from on what he thinks is a deserted Norday?
5. In chapter 6 what does Thorfinn dream of?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Thorfinn find when he goes, after many long years, back to the loft where he had locked up Mara's seal skin?
2. Why does the seal girl, Mara, not follow the seal-people into the sea?
3. Why was the present laird, Mr. Harcourt-Smithers, so much poorer than his forefathers?
4. Why did the hippies finally leave Norday Island?
5. Why did Sophie come back to Norday Island in the end?
6. According to chapter 5, how did the lairds of old manage to be so wealthy?
7. Who is Sophie?
8. How does Mara react when a seal is captured and killed by the fishermen?
9. What does Thorfinn take with him when he is liberated from the German war camp?
10. What is a press gang?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Food is a strong theme in the book. Food is a very clear way to evoke a cultural tradition. Find some examples of Brown's use of food, in both the present day Norday story and the dreams. Describe the way Brown uses food and how it is used to bring the reader into the time and place of the characters.
Essay Topic 2
Why do Sophie and Thorfinn return to the barren community of Norday Island? What does their return represent? What is George Makay Brown's message in their return? What is the place of the artist in the world?
Essay Topic 3
Write a detailed character study of Jacob Olafson. Why is he in the book? What does he represent in terms of Thorfinn's journey? What is he representative of in terms of the book and its overall theme?
This section contains 866 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)