|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Ragna courting in chapter 6?
2. What are the two big houses on Norday Island?
3. How does Thorfinn imagine Prince Charles life after the escape?
4. In chapter 6 what does Thorfinn dream of?
5. Who does Jacob Olafson leave his boat Scallop to?
Short Essay Questions
1. In chapter 6, what is Elphinstone's role in rounding up the young men for military service?
2. What does Thorfinn take with him when he is liberated from the German war camp?
3. Why was Mistress Ragnarson not afraid to catch consumption from her son Thorfinn (in chapter 6)?
4. According to chapter 5, how did the lairds of old manage to be so wealthy?
5. What does Thomas Vass think about the arrival of work crews and machinery on Norday Island during the war?
6. When the workmen are sent to build the aerodrome on Norday Island they are quite unhappy. What cheers them up?
7. Who is Major Schneider?
8. What did the Ragnarson's dog, Stalwart, do when the workers came to tear down the fences in order that Ingle might become part of the Aerodrome building site?
9. Who is Sophie?
10. What is a press gang?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The theme of the disintegration of the broch is carried through chapter 4 from beginning to end. Write an essay on the image of the stones slowly falling into the ocean. Pick out all the examples of this through the chapter and explain the meaning of this symbolic destruction and loss of history, stone by stone.
Essay Topic 2
The social order of Norday Island is strictly regulated. Thorfinn is cast, from birth, to be a crofter, as his father was before him. Write an essay on why such a system of pre-ordained roles is important for the continuation of any culture. Is Thorfinn simply a rare oddity who can't fulfill his role or is he symbolic of the "modern man" who longs to find himself outside the bounds of tradition and culture? What is the role of tradition in a small interdependent world such as Norday?
Essay Topic 3
Looking at the historic imaginative stories, write an essay on the various time periods and major event which Thorfinn "brings to life" through his imagination and dreaming. Touch briefly on each episode and clearly identify the time period and major characters of the story.
This section contains 916 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)