|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many rooms does the laird's Hall have?
2. What are the two big houses on Norday Island?
3. Where has the Reverend Hector Drummond arrived at Norday from?
4. Where does the Norday laird of the 1930s spend most of his time?
5. On what boat does the present laird, Mr. Harcourt-Smithers, arrive in chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the Ragnarson's dog, Stalwart, do when the workers came to tear down the fences in order that Ingle might become part of the Aerodrome building site?
2. Why was Mistress Ragnarson not afraid to catch consumption from her son Thorfinn (in chapter 6)?
3. What does Thorfinn take with him when he is liberated from the German war camp?
4. Who was Revd Hector Drummond and what was he like?
5. Why did Sophie come back to Norday Island in the end?
6. According to chapter 5, how did the lairds of old manage to be so wealthy?
7. How is the story Mr. Simon is telling the class (early in chapter 5) relevant to the fantasy sequence in which Thorfinn marries a seal wife?
8. What is happening to both the laird's house and the minister's manse in chapter 5?
9. What kind of food does Mara the seal wife like to eat?
10. What is a press gang?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a detailed character study of Thorfinn. How is he introduced? What are the major obstacles placed in the path of this protagonist? How does he evolve through the book? What does he learn and how does he change?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Thorfinn leave when the Aerodome project arrives? In the previous chapters he has always dealt with conflict and trouble with stories and imagination? Why doesn't he do that in chapter 7? What has changed? Is the challenge simply too great for him to face? Or has he become a man and is making a different kind of choice?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on the idea of a muse, in both ancient Greek literature and here, in chapter 5. How does Sophie function as a muse? Find one example of an ancient Greek muse and compare her to that example.
This section contains 850 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)