|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of book does Thorfinn write while in prison?
2. What dates are carved on Jacob Olafson's stone?
3. What are the two big houses on Norday Island?
4. What is the Kitty Fea?
5. Who is Major Schneider?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Thorfinn take with him when he is liberated from the German war camp?
2. Why are all the doors gone from the island homes when Thorfinn returns to Norday after many years absence?
3. What did the Ragnarson's dog, Stalwart, do when the workers came to tear down the fences in order that Ingle might become part of the Aerodrome building site?
4. What is happening to both the laird's house and the minister's manse in chapter 5?
5. Why do the seal people rush back into the sea?
6. How is the story Mr. Simon is telling the class (early in chapter 5) relevant to the fantasy sequence in which Thorfinn marries a seal wife?
7. Why was the present laird, Mr. Harcourt-Smithers, so much poorer than his forefathers?
8. Who is Sophie?
9. What does Thorfinn do when he returns to the island after the war?
10. Why was Mistress Ragnarson not afraid to catch consumption from her son Thorfinn (in chapter 6)?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Make a list of all the imaginative stories. What is the place of Thorfinn in each? How does his fictional character evolve? What does he learn (briefly) from each dream adventure?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Thorfinn leave when the Aerodome project arrives? In the previous chapters he has always dealt with conflict and trouble with stories and imagination? Why doesn't he do that in chapter 7? What has changed? Is the challenge simply too great for him to face? Or has he become a man and is making a different kind of choice?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the themes in "The Song of the Broch." What is the overall image that Thorfinn creates? How is that image carried through in the chapter as a whole? What is the overall feeling and tone of the song? How is writing song lyrics different from telling a story through narrative or prose?
This section contains 826 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)