|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does the Norday laird of the 1930s spend most of his time?
(c) Sailing around the world.
(d) Norday Island.
2. Where does Thorfinn spend most of the war?
(a) Fighting on the Russian front.
(b) Hiding in the caves of Norday.
(c) Writing code for the British military.
(d) Stalag 29B in Bavaria.
3. What are the names of Mr. Harcourt-Smither's granddaughters?
(a) Debbie and Penny.
(b) Ragna and Magdalena.
(c) Josie and Margaret.
(d) Mara and Vass.
4. What type of "disease" does Thorfinn have when the military comes looking for him?
5. Who is Billie Holm?
(a) Porter and odd job man for James MacTavish.
(b) Press gang leader.
(c) Lawyer for British government.
(d) Head of the construction gang.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Major Schneider?
2. Who is Selkie?
3. What is Elphinstone's role on Norday?
4. What does Thorfinn see, climbing hill Fea against the blue and white of the sky, in chapter 5?
5. After Tina Lyde is chased off by Thorfinn's sister in chapter 6 what does Tina do?
Short Essay Questions
1. When the workmen are sent to build the aerodrome on Norday Island they are quite unhappy. What cheers them up?
2. Why did Sophie come back to Norday Island in the end?
3. Why are all the doors gone from the island homes when Thorfinn returns to Norday after many years absence?
4. In chapter 6, what is Elphinstone's role in rounding up the young men for military service?
5. Why do the seal people rush back into the sea?
6. What did the Ragnarson's dog, Stalwart, do when the workers came to tear down the fences in order that Ingle might become part of the Aerodrome building site?
7. Did the peace treaty between Chamberlain and Hitler stop the work on the Norday Aerodrome?
8. Why was the present laird, Mr. Harcourt-Smithers, so much poorer than his forefathers?
9. Why was Mistress Ragnarson not afraid to catch consumption from her son Thorfinn (in chapter 6)?
10. How does Mara react when a seal is captured and killed by the fishermen?
This section contains 859 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)