|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What rings for the first time on Norday, brought by the workmen?
(b) Fire Alarms.
(c) Church bells.
(d) Bell choirs.
2. Who burns down the original Hall?
(a) Bonnie Prince Charles.
(b) The Jacobian army.
(c) The laird on a drunken ramble.
(d) King George II's sailors.
3. What is Thorfinn working on at the start of chapter 8?
(a) Lobster creels.
(b) Plans for Norday's recovery.
(c) Poems about sunsets.
(d) Stories about kings and queens.
4. Who is Major Schneider?
(a) German commander of prison camp and mentor to Thorfinn.
(b) English lord who supplies Thorfinn with paper.
(c) Old friend of John Evans who likes Thorfin's writing.
(d) British capitalist who produces Thorfinn's first book.
5. What does Matthew Ragnarson's dog Stalwart do when the workmen demolish Ingle's fence?
(a) Bites one of them.
(b) Runs into the sea.
(c) Hides in the barn.
(d) Tears the fence down for them.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of "disease" does Thorfinn have when the military comes looking for him?
2. In chapter 7 what appears just off the shore of Norday?
3. Where is Matthew Ragnarson buried?
4. What is the grand plan of the government for Norday island's new purpose?
5. According to author Brown, what does the real self seek?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Major Schneider?
2. In chapter 6, what is Elphinstone's role in rounding up the young men for military service?
3. How does Thorfinn see Sophie that very first time?
4. What did the Ragnarson's dog, Stalwart, do when the workers came to tear down the fences in order that Ingle might become part of the Aerodrome building site?
5. Did the peace treaty between Chamberlain and Hitler stop the work on the Norday Aerodrome?
6. Why did the Westvoe farm catch on fire and burn to the ground?
7. How is the story Mr. Simon is telling the class (early in chapter 5) relevant to the fantasy sequence in which Thorfinn marries a seal wife?
8. Who is Sophie?
9. Who was Revd Hector Drummond and what was he like?
10. Why was the present laird, Mr. Harcourt-Smithers, so much poorer than his forefathers?
This section contains 833 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)