|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Thorfinn assume has stayed on the deserted island?
(a) One of the hippie families.
(b) Jimmy Greeno.
(c) Matthew Ragnarson.
(d) Janet Olafson.
2. Who does Jimmy Greenay save from drowning in chapter 7?
(a) MacTavish who wanders down to the shore while drinking.
(b) The engineer who breaks his ankle in a rockpool.
(c) Dr. Lamond who struggles physically with a workman.
(d) The laird who tries to commit suicide in the ruckus.
3. What is this "crudded milk, fantastical puff-paste" that George Mackay Brown speaks of in chapter 6?
(a) Insubstantial pastry.
(b) Angels who fall from heights.
(c) Our body.
(d) No purpose in life.
4. After Tina Lyde is chased off by Thorfinn's sister in chapter 6 what does Tina do?
(a) Dresses as a man and hires on a fishing yacht.
(b) Marries a wealthy Irishman.
(c) Stands at a distance, at twilight and looks towards Ingle.
(d) Becomes a nun.
5. How does Thorfinn deal with the tension in his family in chapter 6?
(a) Goes out into the fields and rides Selkie.
(b) Types a story out on his typewriter.
(c) Tries to bring everyone together to talk.
(d) Runs away and joins the army.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Major Schneider?
2. What does Thorfinn see, climbing hill Fea against the blue and white of the sky, in chapter 5?
3. Who does Jacob Olafson leave his boat Scallop to?
4. Why are the doors all gone from the village homes after the war?
5. What upsets the farmers about the arrival of the workmen?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was Revd Hector Drummond and what was he like?
2. In chapter 6, what is Elphinstone's role in rounding up the young men for military service?
3. What is a press gang?
4. What does Thorfinn do when he returns to the island after the war?
5. According to chapter 5, how did the lairds of old manage to be so wealthy?
6. Who is Sophie?
7. Why was Mistress Ragnarson not afraid to catch consumption from her son Thorfinn (in chapter 6)?
8. Why did the hippies finally leave Norday Island?
9. When the workmen are sent to build the aerodrome on Norday Island they are quite unhappy. What cheers them up?
10. Why do the seal people rush back into the sea?
This section contains 960 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)