|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do villagers laugh at Albert Laird's announcement that his cradle is for Millie Smith?
(a) Millie is 75 and a widow for 55 years.
(b) Millie has 22 children already.
(c) He only makes coffins.
(d) Millie is a horse.
2. What happens when Fergus tries to break into the broch?
(a) He goes in and has lunch.
(b) Lightening strikes him dead.
(c) Stones rain down upon him and kill him.
(d) He's struck in the neck with an arrow.
3. What political persuasion describes Thomas Vass?
4. What is the first meal the Eastern Emperor serves them?
(a) Cold porridge.
(b) Wafer thin slices of chocolate.
(c) Unleavened bread and olive oil.
(d) Eggs, dolphin's fins, young eaglets and fruits.
5. What is Jacob Olafson's daughter's name?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Thorfinn wake up at the end of chapter 1?
2. Who doesn't show up for Madeline's wedding?
3. Who is Hieronymus?
4. Who is the chief body guard of Prince Boris?
5. Who does the title of chapter 3 "A Man's Life" refer to?
Short Essay Questions
1. What sorts of food do Thorfinn and Sir James MacTavish eat on their way to Stirling Castle?
2. Why is the Battle of Bannockburn so important?
3. Why does Jacob Olafson run away on the day of his sister's wedding?
4. What reaction does Jacob's wife, Rena, have to arriving on Norday Island?
5. Why does the school teacher, Mr. Simon, have trouble paying for his groceries at the village shop in Norday?
6. What is the general opinion of Thorfinn in the village of Norday?
7. What is the family situation of Matthew Ragnarson at the beginning of the book?
8. Why is the horse, Seamus, killed on the road to Stirling Castle?
9. What is Mr. Harcourt-Smithers place within the island community?
10. When and where does Old Jacob Olafson die?
This section contains 847 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)