|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Scottish is a fusion of what two languages?
(a) Presbyterian and German.
(b) English and Roman.
(c) Irish and English.
(d) Gaelic and Lallans.
2. What does Prince Boris serve at the feast for the main course?
(a) Head of a boar.
(b) Blood pudding.
(c) Fried oysters.
(d) Casserole of hearts.
3. What secret thing does Thorfinn bring to Jacob Olafson?
(a) Lottery money.
(b) A rusty gun and bullets.
(c) Letters from his sweetheart.
(d) A bottle of Old Barbados Rum.
4. What nationality was King Robert the Bruce?
5. What is at the center of a broch?
(a) Sleeping quarters for children.
(b) Stable for horses.
(d) A deep well.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are there no windows in a broch?
2. What instrument does the boy poet of the broch play?
3. Who sees the ship of the Sea King in the distance?
4. What are iron rations?
5. Who is Isa Estquoy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the things that village people buy at Isa Estquoy's shop on Norday Island?
2. When headed down the Volga River what does the crew of the Solan Goose eat?
3. What is the family situation of Matthew Ragnarson at the beginning of the book?
4. Why are the children bored on the field trip to the broch?
5. What does the title of chapter 3 refer to?
6. In chapter four where does the school teacher, Mr. Simon, take the class?
7. Why does the author call the gathering at the Norday blacksmith shop "the village parliament?"
8. When Thorfinn drifts back into time, at the side of the broch ruin, how far back does he go and where is he?
9. Why did the broch on Norday island become a ruin?
10. What does the poorest man in Norday believe politically?
This section contains 839 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)