|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the Norweigan sailors look like?
(a) Blue eyes and golden hair.
(b) Small, crooked backed men.
(c) Black skin and golden eyes.
(d) Heavy red-faced, dark haired men.
2. Where does the Volga river take the Viking crew?
3. What is a kirk?
(c) Small hill of grass.
(d) Golf course.
4. What do the villagers eat while taking shelter in the broch?
(a) Nuts, berries and small dried sardines.
(b) Dried beef and fish.
(c) Beef broth, broiled halibut, barley bread and ale.
(d) Vegetable stew, hamburgers and cold, dark water.
5. Who is the chief body guard of Prince Boris?
(a) Pack of silver wolves.
(b) Bear named Ivan.
(c) Immense man named Illyich.
(d) Rolf Rolfson.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when the Sea King ship is sighted?
2. What nationality was King Robert the Bruce?
3. In the 1930s what does the broch on Norday Island look like?
4. Who are the Varingers?
5. Who is the island's only "person of quality?"
Short Essay Questions
1. How are the men of the North treated when they had sailed into the Byzantium empire?
2. Why does Thorfinn not know what the circular ruin is that stands on the shore a mere half mile from his home?
3. Why does Jacob Olafson run away on the day of his sister's wedding?
4. When Thorfinn drifts back into time, at the side of the broch ruin, how far back does he go and where is he?
5. What is the general opinion of Thorfinn in the village of Norday?
6. What is the family situation of Matthew Ragnarson at the beginning of the book?
7. Why is the horse, Seamus, killed on the road to Stirling Castle?
8. Why are the children bored on the field trip to the broch?
9. In the Song of the Broch, how does Thorfinn describe the sheltering castle?
10. Why is Mr. Simon's lesson on Bannockburn so boring?
This section contains 919 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)